Jedi Robes

More
7 years 3 months ago #271767 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Jedi Robes
haha I miss wearing my trench coat but I think that'd go a bit amiss around here. They're both a black Goth flair. One I sewed in a red liner. Maybe I'll break them out again XD I loved wearing those!

I made what I call my "Every-day Jedi Robes" based off of a kind of rain coat I guess

[img src=http://www.thecottagerevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/M6442.jpg]

McCall's 6442
Used the design on the left, nice dense brown cotton material with a natural cotton colored interior, made the sleeves wider, embroidered the fictional Jedi emblem on one sleeve in a subdued yellow-gold, and have a patch set aside to sew on eventually of the Temple emblem done in Knight's colors. I loves that jacket, wonderful in the more mild temperatures.

But that's the closest I'll get to Jedi robes 'out and about' and I made it more for funsies. I think I'd spend more time explaining than actually doing the work I intend to do if I wore robes XD

For spiritual work I would absolutely love a headdress but I can't afford it right now and I couldn't deploy with it. Second option is a leather mask done in the guise of my power animal, but I haven't had the time to try and I'm afraid I won't get the details right. Also not something I can deploy everywhere with. So I'm sticking to my drum and it's carry bag right now. Although not something I carry around ever day, it's gone to Jedi gatherings/meetups with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #271783 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Robes
I'm a huge fan of ceremonial wear religiously, because I feel that it creates a lovely "disconnect" between the mundane and the sacred mindsets. Having said that, Jediism (as practiced generally at TOTJO) doesn't need that disconnect as much as other faiths do, and runs a greater risk of looking like a cosplay taken far too seriously. Because of this, you'll typically only see Jedi robes from people who are also cosplayers, or from people who are more "traditional" (fiction-like) in their beliefs of what makes a Jedi.

I'm working on a few custom designs for my own, but I haven't settled on anything yet. It'd be more expensive than I could afford at the moment to get working on them, and I've set a goal for myself before I do them anyhow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Kit,

More
7 years 3 months ago #271785 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Jedi Robes

Attachment M6442.jpg not found

Lets try this again shall we? o.O
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Brick, Leah Starspectre,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271788 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Robes
Ow and this one

http://www.bonprix.nl/product/gebreide-jurk-bessen-zwart-977794/?bundle=3038370#image

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271794 by

Kit wrote: haha I miss wearing my trench coat but I think that'd go a bit amiss around here. They're both a black Goth flair. One I sewed in a red liner. Maybe I'll break them out again XD I loved wearing those!.

Yea sadly in Michigan summers its too humid for such things XD. Im attempting to find a nice light weight/hemp sleeveless trench cloak. Sadly i suck a machine sewing

More
7 years 3 months ago #271795 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Jedi Robes

Trisskar wrote: Back in the early days of Jedi, it was commonly agreed that Cargo Pants and Trench Coats were the more Modern Equivelant.

I was reading this thread and, though an interesting concept, I found the idea of particular clothing bringing one 'closer' to the Force or being more 'Jedi-like' to be a bit daft. But thinking about it, pretty much every coat I own is a trench coat or similar, so maybe there is something in there...

Anison wrote: That is why religions and cultures from all over the world wear different things. I personally see a future where the Jedi have a real presence in the world. At that point, I would say it should be required that as you go through training your attire changes. So, those that are knighted would wear the robes.

I'm not sure that we should be effectively dictating what members should be wearing though. Particularly as the ranking system here, IMO, reflects more of one's own personal journey along the path as oppose to one's 'spirituality' or connection to the Force. If I were to suggest anyone who 'should' wear a robe, I'd say the Clergy rather than the Knights as its the Clergy that represent the 'spiritual well-being' at TotJO (in the same way it is monks/nuns/priests etc in other faiths that dress differently to the average follower of that faith), I know of several Clergy members that already wear 'ceremonial-style' clothing when conducting official ceremonies.

Also, I too kinda want to see a Jedi robe/kilt combo :laugh:

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, Zenchi, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271798 by

Brick wrote:

Trisskar wrote: Back in the early days of Jedi, it was commonly agreed that Cargo Pants and Trench Coats were the more Modern Equivelant.

I was reading this thread and, though an interesting concept, I found the idea of particular clothing bringing one 'closer' to the Force or being more 'Jedi-like' to be a bit daft. But thinking about it, pretty much every coat I own is a trench coat or similar, so maybe there is something in there...

Shaolin Monks where robes. Even Christian and the Pope himself wear a note worthy standard robe. Religious Regalia is found in just about any and every religion out there.

But Its not really a matter wearing Jedi Robes (or an equivalint) to "Bring one Closer to the force" But rather a symbole of respect and dicipline to the path you choose to follow. In this, I often like pointing to a fictional reference that relates to my real life beliefs.

"Your uniform define you. Wear it well and wear it with pride. When you sleep, fold it and place it at the foot of your mat. When you sweat through it after llightsber training, wash it. When your boots are scuffed, polish them. Don't ask the droid to do it: Polish them yourself. A dirty or wrinkled uniform will et you a reprimand from your instructors, but if thats your only reason for taking care of your sole possessions, you don't appreciate what you have in the temple........ I'm a recruiter. I've brought hundreds of force sensitives to the Tempe. Some of these younglings had already bugun their first lives and were accustomed to soft fabrics, riotous colors, and endless choices. All the indulgences of the outsiders who value self over service. For these younglings it can be hard to make the transition. Always remember that being a Jedi also means looking the part. Your attire is an outward sign of your commitment, and a constant reminder of your lifelong calling." - The Jedi Path page 21

Self Dicipline is a key pillar to a Jedi's lifestyle. The ability to wear robes despite the common, modern opinion is a great sign of self dicipline. It also shows your commitment and determination within your path.

Now...I am not saying that those are reasons why WE should enforce it. But it is something That "I" live by :) I wear my robes for ceremony, and for self practice. But I also try and adapt my modern clothes to my Jedi practice. Magnum boots that are polished and keeps my feet comfortable and dry but are also flexable for running and long walks or standing in place. Jeans because they are sterdy. Being winter here still a warm fur lined coat with deep pockets to fit my forms of protection. Im still putting it all together :) but it has been a fun and self defining practice.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271799 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Jedi Robes

Trisskar wrote: Shaolin Monks where robes. Even Christian and the Pope himself wear a note worthy standard robe.

Yes, my point was that its members of the Clergy in other faiths that wear religious regalia and so if anyone here 'should' wear religious regalia then I'd suggest them. As you say The Pope may wear a robe, but your average Catholic doesn't. ;)

But that's just my opinion, and people are free to dress however they want.

I get where you're coming from with the discipline aspect of it, I myself must admit to wearing a 'uniform' of sort. Almost all of my attire revolves around wearing a suit :laugh: even my most casual of outfits generally consist of polished shoes, trousers, shirt and blazer. Unless it's truly impracticable, in which case I'll switch to jeans and a pair of converse. Still keep the shirt though :laugh:

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271801 by
well as far as I know in fiction Jedi don't have "Clergys" XD or...really....any sort of strictly religious sect. Which is what causes alot of the "Is Jedi a Religion or not" Debates. When looking at Fictional references it dosn't hold to standard religious expectations apart from "It really really feels spiritual" aspects XD Which is a different ball game from "Religion"

From the youngest of younglings to the highest of Grandmasters....They all wore the same style of robes. Because that was what defined them in public as "Jedi."

That whole "Jedi wore robes to blend in" bullshit is based on a very very VERY limited view of Star Wars Era structure XD Buuuuuuuuuut now I would be nerding out XD haha

Back to the point. As far as "Jedi" goes its not a clergy specific ideal as "Jedi" is not entirely "religious" even the Clergy here, last I recall, was looking to change its name....

Edit: In fact....one might argue that Jedi is more Military structured in fiction ;) As the same standards of Dress Code is expected of Military Men and Women even in real life today.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271802 by
My opinion is that, while wearing robes could be a symbol of self discipline and dedication because of public opinion, the better thing to do is to show your dedication through example. That's what I'm working on, and I'm not claiming by any means to be anything close to where I want to be in that aspect--it's a work in progress.

I feel like robes and sabers and stuff....if they "bring you closer", that's fine--it'd be like your own ritual that helps you bring you out of yourself and into the thing that's bigger than yourself (as Campbell describes). But, I think it's dangerously close to (as he also describes) "taking the metaphor too literally." Were we to enforce a dress code, how long would it be until people were expelled because their robe was too short, or their belt was not straight, or their kilt wasn't plaid enough? ;) Would I eventually be stoned (or beaten with toy sabers) to death?

While I think symbols of a faith can be a good thing, one must be careful not to rely on them too much. Remember that Star Wars is a story. It has many lessons, but doesn't need to be taken literally to learn them. Also, from the TOTJO main page:

Jedi at this site are not the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe....Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth.

It's for these reasons I believe that if changing one's attire helps to change oneself for the better, that one should go for it. If they don't need to, that's fine too.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi