Why call yourself a Jedi?

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
7 years 5 months ago #265232 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?
I do not, at least for the moment. But if I do reflect any kind of image no matter how small or abstract of what others may recognize as being related to being a Jedi or like wise quite the opposite of what they consider and recognize not to be a Jedi, the same purpose is served, and that is fine with me.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265333 by
Replied by on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?

Khaos wrote: So what makes the title "not real" then?

Can anyone here, or anywhere else for that matter, tell me I am not a Jedi? What are the basic empirical requirements that one must fulfill in order to be considered a Jedi? An acceptance of the whole of the doctrine unmodified in its entirety? A belief in a defined “Force”? A belief in “The Force” at all? Must one be in service to others or have a desire to be in service to others?

As a parallel one can go to a Christian church every day and can even call themselves Christian but until they choose to go through the singular universal ritual of honestly accepting Jesus into their heart they are not Christian. From there it’s about accepting the doctrine of the bible in its unmodified entirety.

If you ask any two people what it means to be a Jedi you will get two different answers. In fact the required training at this temple encourages independent thought, the questioning of training materials and the examination and subsequent modification/addition of doctrine as the individual sees fit. When there are no set hard and fast requirements then everything becomes optional and if the definition of the term is one that can potentially encompass anyone, then that term becomes meaningless.

The required process of becoming a Jedi Knight comes closer to fulfilling a basic set of requirements that is reviewed and accepted by a community of peers as having satisfied the fundamental criteria obligatory to calling oneself a Jedi. However beyond the standardized initiate program even this is arbitrary at best. The temple calls this apprentice training a “degree scheme” but then sets forth no standardized coursework to complete this scheme. Everything is an elective.

Khaos wrote: It means nothing to you to be a Jedi?
The word implies nothing of the philosophies that have meaning and make the difference?
That separation, is in my opinion, a lot to do with what makes being a Jedi, and living those philosophies, sub par.

Of course it has meaning to me. But for me, that also only applies to me alone, here, in this place. Outside of that and my current mentor, I have never been given even an inkling that any other Knights have ever taken even the slightest interest in who I am and what I am undertaking in my training outside of a brief obligatory review of my initiate coursework or that the "community" in general has any designs on truly finding a place in service to others. I find this rather sad since the possibility exists that one day I may be counted among their number. It’s issues such as this that make it apparent the current general Jedi community, which includes the internal workings of this place, is a fragmented cliquish set of sub-clans whose self-interests overrides any sort of comprehensive community service. Maybe they are all secretly sith? ;) :silly:

In any event that’s OK for me. I’m not here for community. I’m here for the personal Challenge. That is why I am undertaking the training here at the temple. It is for my own personal journey, my own experience that I get from the challenges presented to me from a worthy mentor I have found in Alan. Had I not found that, I don't know if I would still be such an active member here. I probably would have moved on to find that challenge someplace else. That is the difference in my journey. I don’t pretend to be something I am not because it does not really exist beyond these virtual halls. I am not a Jedi. I am simply a seeker of knowledge and wisdom through experience. This is my Syncretism – one where the experience of “Jediism” is not the focus but simply an equal component of my otherwise diverse spirituality. “Jediism” is just the current single practice that I have added to the rest.

Khaos wrote: There is an actual thing as Jedi, and not just for movies....Unless you all find the name of the site you are under irrelevant, which, if you care nothing for the name, but only the philosophies, why use it at all and make it an officially recognize church?

How much more real does it need to get for you exactly?

I did not name the church or the site and I did not decide the membership would be called Jedi. That was someone else’s doing so I have no input as to why other than to possibly say it was the easiest thing to do at the time. People are lazy and the tendency of humans for pattern recognition make it easy to use a fictional term to define something they themselves cannot otherwise define. The funny thing is that beyond the title itself the practitioners of the religion have little similarity to their fictional counterparts.

For me it wasn’t the name but the philosophies that attracted me to this temple. It is the blending of aspects of Shinto and Bushido and Chivalry that interested me, not the name Jedi. Would it have been better to call this "new religion” something completely differently and then describe it as:

A religion based on the syncretic blending of the philosophies of knighthood chivalry, paladinism and samurai bushido in feudal societies as well as Hinduism, Qigong, Greek philosophy, Greek and Roman history and mythology , Confucianism, Shintō, Buddhism and Taoism, including the works of the mythologist Joseph Campbell that all helped to inspire the creation of the fictional Star Wars Jedi order.

I don’t know? What do you think? Would this movement exist if its practitioners would not have gotten to call themselves Jedi - The fictional hero’s they had fallen in love with and aspire to be like?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265334 by
I think there is something to be said for "accepted by a community of peers" that has been mentioned a few different ways in this thread. I consider myself to be Jedi based on my active participation in the training here and my desire to live my life according to the Doctrine of TOTJO, but if nobody else considered me worthy of the title, it wouldn't matter if I shouted it from the rooftops. We can be judged by our age, wisdom, experience, training, and rank, but ultimately what makes me a Jedi is whether or not my actions will stand up to scrutiny from others who I consider Jedi. When we collectively agree that someone does not take any of the philosophy or training seriously, together we will determine that they are not Jedi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265339 by

Senan wrote: I think there is something to be said for "accepted by a community of peers" that has been mentioned a few different ways in this thread. I consider myself to be Jedi based on my active participation in the training here and my desire to live my life according to the Doctrine of TOTJO, but if nobody else considered me worthy of the title, it wouldn't matter if I shouted it from the rooftops. We can be judged by our age, wisdom, experience, training, and rank, but ultimately what makes me a Jedi is whether or not my actions will stand up to scrutiny from others who I consider Jedi. When we collectively agree that someone does not take any of the philosophy or training seriously, together we will determine that they are not Jedi.

I agree with your thinking. Near the end of my initiate training I was asked to write about why I wanted to be a Jedi Knight. I basically said I don’t want to be a Jedi Knight. I want the experience of a spiritual journey in search of even a glimpse of some form of universal enlightenment in the pursuit of self-knowledge that never ends. If, as a consequence of that journey, my peers, at some point in my journey, deem me as manifesting the qualities worthy of the title of Knight, then so be it.

For me, the same goes for the title of Jedi. It’s not something to claim or proclaim of yourself. Instead it’s something to be earned by living a lifestyle worthy of what the name represents in society. If, as a stranger, you can walk into a room of people or interact with the membership of a community in such a way that, when you leave that room or environment, the participants of that body are changed in such a way as say among themselves, “That girl or guy was amazing! They were just like a Jedi!” that is when you have “earned that title”. Even then the title does not exist exclusively as a discrete definition of a specific, characteristic behavior but simply as one descriptor among many such similar descriptors in common usage among human populations. These are things that can never be taken or even claimed once earned. They can only be given.

More
7 years 5 months ago #265341 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I basically said I don’t want to be a Jedi Knight. I want the experience of a spiritual journey in search of even a glimpse of some form of universal enlightenment in the pursuit of self-knowledge that never ends. If, as a consequence of that journey, my peers, at some point in my journey, deem me as manifesting the qualities worthy of the title of Knight, then so be it.

For me, the same goes for the title of Jedi. It’s not something to claim or proclaim of yourself. Instead it’s something to be earned by living a lifestyle worthy of what the name represents in society. If, as a stranger, you can walk into a room of people or interact with the membership of a community in such a way that, when you leave that room or environment, the participants of that body are changed in such a way as say among themselves, “That girl or guy was amazing! They were just like a Jedi!” that is when you have “earned that title”. Even then the title does not exist exclusively as a discrete definition of a specific, characteristic behavior but simply as one descriptor among many such similar descriptors in common usage among human populations. These are things that can never be taken or even claimed once earned. They can only be given.

Be the change you want to see. If the title of Jedi is irrelevant, then start more posts that are relevant to your spiritual journey of universal enlightenment and self-knowledge. You certainly are astute. Go for it. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
7 years 5 months ago #265348 by Lykeios Little Raven
Well...Jedi isn't usually the first thing I tell people about my spiritual beliefs. I'm a "Hellenic" polytheist before anything else really.

As far as whether or not I'm a Jedi...well I'm sort of with Alethea on that one. I think it's more about whether other people bestow the title upon you. It just wouldn't feel right for me to claim the title myself. That's one problem I've always had with the Creed the claiming that "I am a Jedi." I feel like if someone wants to claim the title they're more than welcome to do so but I don't know that it actually makes them a Jedi. Not that I would ever tell someone they are NOT a Jedi if they believe they are...

In any event, I do not know that I am a Jedi. I strive to live up to the ideals put forth here and live by the Jedi Code, but I don't know if that's really enough. I feel like I could be doing a whole lot more. I could definitely do more service to others...I haven't been so good on that score.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265351 by
Perhaps its because of the nebulous "You pick your own Jedi path" that makes this such a hard question for people, or at the very least, why people cannot claim it so easily.

You see, this is what comes from not having some sort of base, at least a foundation of what makes a Jedi, certainly, everyone will develop their own idiosyncracies, what they bring of themselves to the path. This is inevitable, unless you are a robot, but at the same time, everyone pretty much gets to start by well, just doing what they have always done and throwing Jedi on top of the pile.

What real meaning could the title have when you have made it as vague and ambiguous as possible?

This in itself strips meaning because it has not, and does not need to be earned.

One thing the fiction had that I liked was that is was implicitly stated that being a Jedi is hard, and will require trials, and sacrifice from the individual, in essence, it was earned, but here at TotJo, it is simply a given, no one cares if it is claimed, or for what reason, or even if the persona claiming it is truly doing anything even remotely Jedi-like.

The funny thing about something being so free, is that people do not appreciate it as much.

This thread exemplifies that.

You treat it like a piece of toilet paper.

More
7 years 5 months ago #265352 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?

Khaos wrote: What real meaning could the title have when you have made it as vague and ambiguous as possible?

A very personal meaning, and indeed therefore the most powerful! :)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Zenchi,

More
7 years 5 months ago #265355 by Carlos.Martinez3
@ go
I associate my self with what and how I believe. That's pretty much why I call myself a Jedi.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 5 months ago #265383 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?

The funny thing about something being so free, is that people do not appreciate it as much.

This is irritatingly true in many cases.

One thing the fiction had that I liked was that is was implicitly stated that being a Jedi is hard, and will require trials, and sacrifice from the individual, in essence, it was earned, but here at TotJo, it is simply a given, no one cares if it is claimed, or for what reason, or even if the persona claiming it is truly doing anything even remotely Jedi-like.

I guess the difference here is that it is the individual who is accountable, they are required to keep themself "honest" assess themselves against their trials, and sacrifice where necessary.

It's not plausible, in this situation, to really police it anyway.

I can rock up here and type "Today I gave a cold person the shirt off my back, turned down a promotion for someone who needed it more, and worked until midnight, in the rain, repairing a local school. Oh, and I live on a diet of organic brown rice, with no sauce. Am I the Best Jedi Ever, or what?"

And no one can prove whether I'm lying or not.

But, no one gets a Pay Rise from calling themselves Jedi, so it's really no skin off a "Good Jedi"'s nose for some internet weed to use the term freely.
Heck, I could steal your username and avatar and join all sorts of websites and forums.
Does it detract from your identity any?

That sort of humbleness about the title might be a good thing that separates TotJO Jedi from many other cults (Jedi and otherwise). (It also may be a bad thing, I have some thoughts on traditions and earning your position, and doing the "hard yards" before you can call yourself a peer)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi