Why call yourself a Jedi?

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
7 years 4 months ago #265677 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?
So many different responses: complimentary ones; opposing ones; different ones; personal ones; objective ones; relative ones; individualistic ones; experiential ones; proud ones; humble ones; factual ones; opionated ones; spiritual ones; dogmatic ones... . One might say, Jedi seems to be a jumbled concept full of contradictions. But when I peer over the sheets of words, numbers of posts, I see a group of people not only prepared to share but listen to their views, life experiences, hopes, desires, visions, frustrations, desires, passions. I see a group of people prepared to spend time from all parts of the world at one place called Temple of the Jedi Order. I see what I would describe as Jedi.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266009 by
Replied by on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?
since i saw star wars i felt i wanted to become a jedi, not by the swords and powers but by what they defend, freedom, justice, peace, democracy, all living things matter, inner peace, balance. To me a jedi is a warrior too, we cannot just train the mind the body needs training too, the greeks once said "Health mind in a healt body" something like that xD I call myself a jedi because i follow the jedi code, the jedi teachings, because i seek and protect the same principles the jedi defend.

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than gardener in a war" - Unknown

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266010 by
From a very early age i always wanted to do the right thing , look out for others and protect , friends who know me well are not at all surprised i am a Jedi , its a good name for what i am and aim to be and it reminds me that i am not alone , that there are more like me , people who because of differences have one common denominator , we are Jedi :)

More
7 years 4 months ago #266034 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?
I call myself a Jedi because for me, the title set's a standard of ethics to strive towards and embody within my daily works. It is a label which motivates me to continually push for further self improvement and personal development, as well as to provide a motivational goal in the pursuit of both aspects. Calling myself as a Jedi and keeping in mind the functions required of a practitioner, also helps to remind me of the importance of community service / service to others and the need to remain as selfless and without ego as I am capable of.

I know it's not a very lengthy answer, but hopefully it is direct enough.

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266037 by
while only considered a guest and still feeling out this community/website I'd like to one day consider myself a Jedi because of a desire to find a philosophical/spiritual path that may at last suit me.

I was raised Catholic and around 16 or so (I'm 23 now), I left the church. Always felt like I was being watched and not in the good way. I dabbled with Wicca and Paganism, very fascinating but unfortunately it never stuck to me. Boy, did I try but I could not feel truly ingrained in it. I believe it was because of a lack of discipline, who knows....

I enjoy philosophy and it has provided me with answers this past year that I sorely needed. In terms of the Jedi, I am fascinated by the Force and the mysticism around it from the Star Wars universe. I believe that to become a Jedi is to understand the wider world and one's place in it. The Force may lead forward.

oh so many things...

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266088 by OB1Shinobi
at this point i dont really call myself a jedi very much anymore, i dont call myself anything; im a person.

a man

im doing my best to be a good man
if i can live out my life and feel ive upheld that standard then i will be happy

i did call myself jedi for a long time

some friends at work labelled me jedi back in about 1990 because i talked about energy and connectedness and synchronicity and receivng messages from the universe, the value of meditation and the "mystery of attention and awareness"

i was esoteric and philosophical and i used to look pretty cool with a sword (or nunchucks!) B)

the moniker was kind of obvious and since jedi are freaking awesome i liked it
eventually i realized it was more accurate a label for what i was doing with my life than any other i had used up to that point

now i tell people that jedi is the modern term for a warrior mystic with a sense of honor and justice, one who pursues spiritual wisdom and martial prowess, and connectedness with the world around them

but ive come to believe that these things arent really "jedi" theyre just good things for a person to do

to me, being a jedi doesnt really mean anything now as a label

im just a man doing his best to live up to what he believes he should do with his life

i find similarities between what i want to do with my life and the characters that lucas created, so, cool
"jedi" is as good as any other moniker, and acknowledge it when its convenient or necessary, but i keep in mind that its not the monker that makes the man

EDIT
well SOMETIMES using the label "jedi" helps me regain my focus

like i get caught in a moment and start acting out on impulse, being selfish, or trying to take the easy way, ect, the label helps me remember the standard i want to live up to

which isnt to say that im never impulsive or selfish or taking the easy way out
im just saying lol the label motivates me to do my best sometimes, so i call myself a jedi when things get difficult

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi