Why call yourself a Jedi?

More
7 years 5 months ago #265142 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?

be a part of something more without making me compromise my own morals or philosophies.

Some might argue that's not really being "a part of something" so much as "parallel with, until there's a corner"

Funny thing about Loyalty and Service, it's not really about you :P

Of course, that's much of the attraction of many forms of Jediism, the doctrine is wishy washy, so you're not really called into a situation where you either have to "be true" or "compromise".

I can see this place having less members if it required veganism :P

(I'm not a dogmatic TotJOist by any stretch, I'm just making the argument)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265143 by
Replied by on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?

JamesSand wrote:

be a part of something more without making me compromise my own morals or philosophies.

Some might argue that's not really being "a part of something" so much as "parallel with, until there's a corner"

you know that's a fair point and I definitely see what you mean. I think the main thing for me, in how I feel as being a jedi, may have kind of a circular logic at the end of the day. I identify as a jedi therefore I identify as a jedi. Like, I consider myself part of the jedi realism movement as a whole and now part of TOTJO in particular, as opposed to just saying like "those guys are great because we share opinions." I believe no one could be an enthusiastic member of a group or organization without it fitting cohesively with their own ideals. Being with the jedi, instead of along side it is my attempt be a part of something both bigger and other than myself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265148 by
The short answer is, I call myself a Jedi because I am a Jedi. I will always be a Jedi, it seems hardwired in.

I was a Jedi before I knew the term and long before I knew of the Temple and community growing around it.

I have always believed in the morals and lessons of most established religions but can't accept that any are 'the right path' and formed my own beliefs by amalgamating teachings from various sources.

My bosses were very religious so my lack thereof came up often and when trying to explain I often used Jedi and the Force to illustrate what I believed so others could identify easily. Then I found out about the Temple and that there is this community of similar thought and so rather than answering 'it's complicated' I can now say 'i am a Jedi'.

More
7 years 5 months ago #265149 by Alethea Thompson
For me, Jedi is a title given to you. You do your best to live up to the Jedi Path, and others will determine whether or not you are such.

For me.

To me, Jedi isn't something you get to simply claim, which makes it different from other religions/philosophies. I base my pursuits as a Jedi on the Jedi Compass (the document, not the book- which is merely an expansion on the concepts within the document) because that's what the community determined was within the bounds of their order's definitions in 2013 of the Jedi Path.

But this is me. I recognize that some see the Jedi Path as something that you can simply claim based on their pursuit of living on the Jedi Code. But to me, I can't claim I am a Jedi, unless others see me as such. I cannot claim a rank such as "Knight" or "Master" without others recognizing it as such.

Respect the person, not the rank/title. If you see someone that matches that rank/title, then by all means, bestow it upon them. And if not, it is how you view them.

So, ultimately, the question I prefer isn't "Why call yourself a Jedi?" it's "Why do you call me a Jedi?" And if the answers line up with the Jedi Compass, then I have accomplished living by the Jedi Path.

After all- what is in a name, but the value assigned to it.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 5 months ago #265150 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?
I actively resonate with, and believe in, the values and principles in the Doctrine and have realized that those values and principles have been present in me for a lot of my life well before I found the temple. Whether or not I call myself Jedi, what matters is that I naturally IDENTIFY with what a Jedi is (or strives to be) according to the Doctrine.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265210 by
The title Jedi is not a real title. It was made up for a movie. Its the philosophies behind it that make the difference. So what are those philosophies? Well they are as diverse as human emotion can make them. So how does that bind any one of us to another? Well that is done through doctrine. Otherwise disparite peoples come together under a common title because of shared belief in a set of rules that define a philosoohical world view. But in the end these rules are as meaningless as the concepts that define them. We strive for this artifical veneer of commonality because it comforts us but in actuality we are all totally and completely alone. We are born and live and die alone. This journey is ours alone. Of course we make connection with others following a similar path and we can secure a certain comfort in that but ultimately the responsibility and experience is ours alone. There is no actual thing as a Jedi, there is only the process of experience.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265211 by

The title Jedi is not a real title. It was made up for a movie. Its the philosophies behind it that make the difference.

So what makes the title "not real" then?

It means nothing to you to be a Jedi?

The word implies nothing of the philosophies that have meaning and make the difference?

That separation, is in my opinion, a lot to do with what makes being a Jedi, and living those philosophies, sub par.

There is an actual thing as Jedi, and not just for movies....Unless you all find the name of the site you are under irrelevant, which, if you care nothing for the name, but only the philosophies, why use it at all and make it an officially recognize church?

How much more real does it need to get for you exactly?

More
7 years 5 months ago #265221 by Karr McDebt
I call myself a Jedi for Oh so many reasons. I was raised in a predominately Mormon area, and the LDS church was pretty much stuffed down my throat.
I attended a few various churches in my attempt to avoid LDS services, but none of them really clicked with how I felt about a higher power. By the time I was in my early teens I was deep in witchcraft. When I say witchcraft, I don't mean wicca. I started off by getting initiated into the Revised Order Of the Golden Dawn. I was looking for power, mostly because I had been so powerless up to that point. Golden Dawn didn't work for me either, but it felt closer so I started down the pagan path towards wiccan and druidism. I enjoyed the art and beauty and poetry of the paths, but the still didn't click.
So one day I sat down and thought about how I feel about a "Higher Power". Not God, I decided. It didn't feel right to me to assign this creation/life energy with the kind of personality that most religions assigned to it.
A force, perhaps a natural force of nature, or a natural force of the universe, that is of course beyond our comprehension. It IS life, what some would consider a soul, but not one that is possessed by a single being, but by all living things collectively.
About this time I am reading a star wars book and I get to a part where Luke is CRITICALLY wounded, at deaths door and no help near. As he lay there feeling his life slip away, he noticed a small frog, and it seemed that he "heard" the frog say, "A Gift." And the frog lent him some of it's life energy, and then the grass, and the mosses beneath his body, and they said "Our gift." and gave of their life force.
And The Force started to flow into him, first just drops, then a trickle, then a flow and then a stream of Force, healing him so that he may stand against the decay of the Dark Side.
And I said to myself, "That. That is what "GOD" is, The Force. "It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together." "Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us."
Of course there are no such thing as "Force Powers", other than maybe a bit of intuition, but the base teachings are sound. I knew that many were based on Buddhist teachings but once I started looking for Jedi teachings specifically I figured out quickly that not all of them were Buddhists. That Lucas, and other writers, had borrowed heavily from many philosophies. So I decided to be a Jedi. That was 2007. I studied solo since that time. I found TotJO in 2009 and joined.
I have a couple different "Ministry Licences" from online so I was "Legally" able to weddings, and I could write a Jedi ceremony for it if I wanted, but I thought it would be WAY cooler to actually have a Jedi Ministry Licence, so I went ahead and started working on the program.
Currently I live in Oregon, where I am make "Jedi Healing Balm" and other herbal medicines for patients ranging from PTSD to Stage 4 cancer.

Pureland Rite
Jedi Knight Initiate

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265222 by
Thanks for that Karr. I have a differnt narrative, yet I identify strongly with the path (or calling) you describe. My strong religious environment was one of no religion. I consider atheism to be as dogmatic as most organized religions or often more so. I just worked out what LDS is... I came across LSD when I was 16. I recently said to a girlfriend that I considered LSD the pennacillan for a bad dose of religion (or non-religion I guess). My idea of God (or the universe) is going with the flow.

Naturally, all the building blocks of our development contribute to a structure that we build and build so we can go beyond it and fluently express ourselves

More
7 years 5 months ago #265229 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Why call yourself a Jedi?
This is all my own view, of course, and there may be quite a few holes in thought and eager jumping to conclusions, but that's how I "feel" my way through the world anyway...

When I was a teenager, my particular interpretation of Catholicism rendered me miserable. I was constantly depressed, weighed down by this internal "voice" saying I was a sinner, I was unworthy, I could never be good enough, and I did not own my life... I was supposed to wait for my divine revelation to charge me with some sort of life mission.

Why exactly I twisted Christian faith in this direction, I'm not sure. But though thinking of Jesus and his life inspired me, put me in a mental place where I felt an extra "push" to being good at times when I could've taken destructive choices instead, I never completely felt like I fit in with Christian faith. I was unsure (and frankly a bit apathic) whether Jesus or not was historically real. I did not accept the Bible as divine revelation. I couldn't really call myself a Catholic, or a Christian, even if I wanted to, it no longer rang true.

As I discovered this, I started to read about other religions: neo-paganism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Thelema. All of these religions held some great pearls of wisdom within them, but embracing any of them felt untrue because accepting the "core" truth within them came with accepting all the other aspects of it. For example, the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold path of Buddhism can only make sense if you accept reincarnation, which I am unsure of. Neo-paganism and it's God/Goddess ritualistic nature does not appeal to me, despite respecting the duality of male/female, light/dark and other polarities through which the world seems to express itself. They were all misfits though.

By the time all of this was happening, the original Star Wars trilogy had been out for over two decades, and despite owning the movies in VHS, I had never paid attention to them whenever my mom watched them. This time, however, I watched them, really paid attention, and I saw it from another perspective. Sure the Jedi knights were cool, their neat Jedi tricks, using the Force to move objects, lightsabers and all. But what really spoke to me was that moment when Luke Skywalker refuses to kill his father and drops his lightsaber saying:

"You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

At that moment I saw what being a Jedi was all about. It is the ultimate fight against the machine, overcoming the fear of certain death, and choosing to live according to what you truly desire and value, and not based on what is expected of you, or based on outcomes alone. It was the ultimate statement of self-ownership "I will die, but I will be who I am".

What I find in the Jedi way is a call to own my life, to "unlearn what I have learned" and pursue a life consistent with my values, with my will. And the way towards this is through disciplined focus, knowledge, fearlessness, emotional intelligence and other traits exhibited by the movie Jedi, and summed up in the Jedi code:

There is no emotion, there is peace. (Introspection / Emotional intelligence)
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. (Intellectual knowledge, skill development)
There is no passion, there is serenity. (One-pointedness / Focused Will rather than random whim)
There is no chaos, there is harmony. (Recognizing interconnectedness and cause/effect)
There is no death, there is the Force. (Fearlessness / Faith in oneself)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi