Robes and Sabers

More
8 years 2 months ago #228230 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:Robes and Sabers
I'm getting the impression you all took my use of the word 'source' much too far. I simply meant 'the place where we got the idea of Jedi'.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #228231 by Lykeios Little Raven

tzb wrote: What role do these play in your path?

None whatsoever. The only robe I own is simply for warmth and comfort.

tzb wrote: Do you feel we are helped, hindered, or unaffected by associations between Jediism (the real world thing) and these aspects?

I think it's a mixture of the three. Sometimes it can be a hindrance. I suppose it depends on how the person portrays Jediism while wearing such things and how they explain the reason for their garb.

tzb wrote: Do you feel they are valuable in identifying us as real Jedi, or more of a roleplay element?

I think there can be a perfectly valid reason for wearing such things. For me personally? I'd only wear them on Halloween out of some sense of irony or possibly to cosplay some famous Jedi from the fiction.

tzb wrote: Are they fine, but entirely separate from what we do here? Or should they play a larger role?

I think if someone wants to wear such things that is their choice and I have no problem with it if it is not done disrespectfully in some way. Separate from what we do here? I don't know about that. I think if robes and sabers are a part of how you experience Jediism it could definitely be a part of your membership here at TOTJO.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
8 years 2 months ago #228232 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Robes and Sabers

Zenchi wrote: There seems to be two primary crowds on this argument, as to whether roleplaying (and or elements associated with it) is tied to Jediism. Those who strongly oppose the idea, and those who engage in it as well as believe it is associated with this path. Those who oppose may be fearful of how this presents our image to the public. The news media is quick to jump on it and spin it into something it is not, so I totally understand where this apprehension comes from. I know I at one time strongly made the argument that we are not connected with the fiction or the roleplaying in any way.

I was wrong. My beliefs were directly rooted in fear, not in fact or an understanding as to where this community and the Temple sprang from. Regardless if we like it or not, the fiction and elements of roleplaying are sources. That does not translate to every member of this Temple having to dress up and carry lightsabers. Remember, Jediism has many roots, and that is what makes this path/religion/philosophy so awesome, it is open to interpretation depending on who follows it. This ultimately is the "source" for the vast majority of arguments in this community.

Nicely put. Now with that said, how can I make my own lightsaber without buying one from Ultrasabers or some other place of the sort? :cheer:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228235 by
Replied by on topic Robes and Sabers

Manu wrote: how can I make my own lightsaber without buying one from Ultrasabers or some other place of the sort? :cheer:

:-p

http://dynamicsubspace.net/2014/04/09/how-to-build-a-sparring-lightsaber-with-parts-from-home-depot-and-spare-parts-with-thoughts-on-learning-and-haptics/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228291 by

Lightstrider wrote: In my path the robes and sabers are purely symbolic images...

I honestly agree with this, being that they are something we are naturally associated with, and they carry good symbols with them as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242473 by
I agree it is symbolic but I feel like it is a "nod" to not only the films which inspired us on our path but also to history. Ones sword (back in the time when people carried swords) told you a lot about the person. Some were handed down, some of wealthier families were "flashy" and some paid tribute to ones religion. Same with a Saber build. Every custom self made saber is different as you put yourself into it. Some will have high budgets, and some will have the tools needed that others don't.

I just started my first build and luckily I have access to a lathe so I'm using aluminum for my hilt:

Attachment h50208ff.jpg not found

Attachment h4336847.jpg not found

Attachment h27f5049.jpg not found

Attachment h4984c30.jpg not found

Attachment hba7ad39.jpg not found

*The blue is just marking future cuts
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #242561 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Robes and Sabers
I think its something were known for really a symbol. But I have two view points. My before and after my IP studies.

Before: I was but a learner (still am lol) but, I wore my jedi robe and my saber hilt on my belt everywhere literally everywhere.i believe it defined me as a jedi. I often got questions and random fandom being called "Master Jedi" to some I was crazy for believing what I did. To others I was cool and respectable for living my faith with my robes and saber even to the other religious communities.

After: Once I started my studies I sorta drew away from just my beliefs of what I saw and believed in just the movie footage and basing it off that to believing that I am a Jedi within myself the robes and saber didnt define me as a Jedi or a follower of Jediism or make me more of a member of this temple. Now albeit, I still have them and I still dress up and go out once in awhile. Still get looks and high fives but I am a REAL JEDI I live it everyday. But from the IP studies and my own private studies over the last few years its become more of asking myself...why are you a jedi? Why do you believe what you believe? What defines you as a Jedi?

Further thoughts
Make no mistake I have no disagreements on those who wear robes and carry sabers no one Iota. I still do and I feel amazing and happy when I do. Its not to gain attention but rather that it makes me feel like a jedi. On times when I cannot I wear a hoodie sweatshirt.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242657 by
Replied by on topic Re:Robes and Sabers
The saber is in my opinion not a symbol. As a Jedi, I'm a "peacebringer", and as a pecebringer I have no use of weapons.
The robe is a nice idea, but not very modern. I prefer hoodies. So I can walk my path, do whatever I want to do and hide my face under the hood, because what counts is my actions, not my face.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242677 by
Replied by on topic Re:Robes and Sabers

Airo Faol wrote: The saber is in my opinion not a symbol. As a Jedi, I'm a "peacebringer", and as a pecebringer I have no use of weapons...

With respect, I think you're missing the point of "symbolism". Whether or not the "sword" is a weapon, it's symbology goes beyond it's mundane function....

As an aside, the colt revolver is dubbed the "peacemaker" ;)

While the sword in modern culture has been eclipsed as an weapon, it's symbolic power remains within many of the world's cultures. Why?

In Tibetan Buddhism, the knife (I know, it's not a sword) represents cutting through samsara to the truth of being...

I submit that Symbolism is the question, not whether you need a sword or robe for their mundane function...

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242682 by Leah Starspectre

Arkayik wrote:

Airo Faol wrote: The saber is in my opinion not a symbol. As a Jedi, I'm a "peacebringer", and as a pecebringer I have no use of weapons...

With respect, I think you're missing the point of "symbolism". Whether or not the "sword" is a weapon, it's symbology goes beyond it's mundane function....

As an aside, the colt revolver is dubbed the "peacemaker" ;)

While the sword in modern culture has been eclipsed as an weapon, it's symbolic power remains within many of the world's cultures. Why?

In Tibetan Buddhism, the knife (I know, it's not a sword) represents cutting through samsara to the truth of being...

I submit that Symbolism is the question, not whether you need a sword or robe for their mundane function...

I agree - the kirpan is a very powerful symbol in the Sikh faith and are often carried around in day-to-day life. I remember there was even a big issue here in Ottawa about allowing Sikhs in public service (such as bus drivers) wearing their kirpans at work. Canada is pretty strict about weapons in public in general...

BUT in the end, it was decided (by City Hall? Parliament? I can't remember, it was quite a while ago, lol) that they would, in fact, he allowed to carry the kirpan as it was an important symbol of their faith - like a cross on a chain for Christians, a yarmulke for Jews, or a hijab for Muslims.

Personally, I think that a saber hilt is a fantastic way to carry a piece of your faith with you. I may do it myself once I feel i've earned it, ha ha! For now, though I wear a Rebel Alliance pendant just as a little reminder (and because it's the only thing I have on hand). I plan of getting a TotJO pendant as an IP graduation gift for myself though :)
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi