Robes and Sabers

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227893 by
Replied by on topic Robes and Sabers
Here is a fun, real story. Jedi Gathering 2010. We were allowed to host our gathering in Michigan at a Christian based Camp (or maybe not christian....I forget their exact faith) We registered to rent out one of their buildings so that we could camp there and run our workshops there. Workshops included martial arts, meditations, lectures, and philisophical studies. It was a great time!!

But we were a bunch of adult strangers in a religious KIDS Camp.

We shared there buildings.

We shared there meals.

We shared their space.

And despite our very strange registration name as "Jedi" we were invited to their Group Smores on the beach party.

But we were still strangers....

So we decided to give the kids something they would enjoy and help break the "Stranger" ice. Help them feel more comfortable with us around.

Out came the robes and sabers!

I ran down to the beach ahead of the group and whipped out my camera (As I always did) at the same time another of our group members took off to enter the beach from a different angle so that we could perform a quick, impromptu battle scene.

Needless to say...The kids loved it! The staff loved it! We even had some of the staff and kids sit in on our workshops and start asking about what we "Really do"

It was a great ice breaker and as you can see....not a single judgment was made ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwg_J3OR6Y&index=42&list=PLsEYv-0JcoyMed-Rl8qk-z3o17cBid6KR

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #227894 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Robes and Sabers
When my father walks into the room with a clerical collar people get nervous. If I follow behind in my robes it makes a wonderful icebreaker and smiles.

I enjoy them for the connection to our faith but do not consider either of them required, simply a part of our history, when I was knighted I wore my robes and my saber, even though it was in chat and no one saw it, it was important for me.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227897 by
Personally, they are not important to me and I do not use either. The relationship to the force is what makes a Jedi, not clothing or choice of weapon.

That said, I do not judge the spiritual significance they play to some people, in the same way that robes or other accouterments play in other forms of religion or spirituality. I have always found sword-based combat to have a particular beauty that other forms of combat do not. However, combat is not essential to the Jedi path. And, for me, a fictional weapon does not set the right tone for a more serious set of beliefs.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227908 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Essay 10: The Sword
The sword has been used symbolically throughout history.
What has its symbolism throughout history been?
How does this relate to Jedi, Jediism and the fictional lightsaber?

In taking the "IP" and coming across the above lesson I would assume that a (light) saber is an important representation and/or part of Jediism.

You're right - that is an assumption :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227909 by
The use of robes and sabers is, as are many things in Jediism, very personal. Some do, some don't, we all call ourselves Jedi and live our lives.

I own two replica sabers (Obi-Wan and Darth Maul B) ) but I owned them before I started here. I will occasionally wear the Obi-Wan hilt when at conventions because it's awesome and I love Star Wars. To me the wearing of it has nothing to do with Jediism. I do not regularly train with my lightsabers because I have, forgive this phrasing, "real" weapons that I can train with. (I have once or twice though, what martial artist with a toy lightsaber hasn't?) I am contemplating making a custom hilt when I achieve Knighthood, but I'm still not sure how much it will have to do with the spiritual path and how much of it will be me using a big life event as an excuse to do something awesome and possibly expensive. :laugh:

I am a fan of robes in general. If it were socially acceptable for me to wear a big black or brown travelling cloak I totally would. But that's as much a Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter/D&D/eight thousand other things as it is a Star Wars thing. I also wish the US had larger denominations of coin money because I think its cooler to pay for stuff that way. None of it's about Jediism, it's just about thinking that it's awesome.

One thing I've heard a few times is the desire to distance ourselves from robes and lightsabers to "be taken more seriously." By whom, and why? I take Jediism very seriously (though I don't take myself seriously), that's all that really matters. To me at least.

Oh, and while we can and should distance ourselves from it, we can never, nor should we even try in my opinion, to completely remove Star Wars from Jediism. It is called Jedi-ism after all.

All personal preference though. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227910 by

MartaLina wrote:
I saw this lesson more as a methaphorical question , i never assumed i was actually meant to build my own saber or sew my own robe. i love that we Dutch Jedi will go to a charity event and present ourselfes as Jedi one day maybee , there are 7 of us now so we could make an impression loll , it is also fun to imagine that to collect money for the homeless , but in my normal life i feel no need for a saber or a robe... i have mixed feelings about these symbols , on one hand its fun to dress up and be recognized as a Jedi , but in my heart i know that i would rather show people through my behaviour that i am a Jedi .

Well I never implied that it did mean we were supposed to go and "build a light saber". :P But whether metaphorical or not it is still a representation of Jedi, is it not? I mean, its part of the training! :laugh: B)

Sabers in different forms have been used in many contexts as ceremonial and religious symbols. My own Military past in the Marines holds the saber in high regard and it is a representation of that tradition. Now it seems to me that given all that, within Jediism whether one chooses to carry an actual lite saber or wear a pendant of one (for an example) would seem to make no difference. It still equates to a "religious symbol" that we have adopted no different than a pentacle or a cross doesn't it?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227918 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

MartaLina wrote:
I saw this lesson more as a methaphorical question , i never assumed i was actually meant to build my own saber or sew my own robe. i love that we Dutch Jedi will go to a charity event and present ourselfes as Jedi one day maybee , there are 7 of us now so we could make an impression loll , it is also fun to imagine that to collect money for the homeless , but in my normal life i feel no need for a saber or a robe... i have mixed feelings about these symbols , on one hand its fun to dress up and be recognized as a Jedi , but in my heart i know that i would rather show people through my behaviour that i am a Jedi .

Well I never implied that it did mean we were supposed to go and "build a light saber". :P But whether metaphorical or not it is still a representation of Jedi, is it not? I mean, its part of the training! :laugh: B)

Sabers in different forms have been used in many contexts as ceremonial and religious symbols. My own Military past in the Marines holds the saber in high regard and it is a representation of that tradition. Now it seems to me that given all that, within Jediism whether one chooses to carry an actual lite saber or wear a pendant of one (for an example) would seem to make no difference. It still equates to a "religious symbol" that we have adopted no different than a pentacle or a cross doesn't it?

Alraidy then loll maybe my lesson clears it up as to how i see the Sword as a methaphor

Essay 10: The Sword

The sword has been used symbolically throughout history.

What has its symbolism throughout history been?
As an alchemical symbol the sword is a symbol of purification. Here we experience the metaphorical sword cleanly piercing the spiritual soul of man. This symbolic action sacrifices physical bondage to release a path to ethereal (enlightened) freedom.
As a Celtic symbol, the sword is reputed to be associated with Nuada, the first king of Tuatha De Danann. In fact, Nuada's great sword is considered one of thefour Celtic treasures (sword, stone, spear, cauldron). Nuada was associated with the supernatural forces of the underwater realm. Today, archeology reveals many ancient Celtic swords found under water. These may be offerings to Nuada made by ancient Celts honoring their forebear by passing their broadswords into the waters; effectively insuring the power of Nuada runs fiercely through their own tribal veins.
The swords of the Congo tribe in Central Africa are deeply symbolic of transition. Specifically, we see the quillons (cross guard on the hilt) of swords were designed so that one side turns heavenward, the other side turns earthwards. This is said to be symbolic of the powerful connection between sky and earth, and further solidifying the symbolism of life and death.
In Christianity the sword symbolism deals with protection, righteousness, and justice. We see archangel Michael depicted in Christian art holding a sword (also with scales) to reinforce the concept of truth, purity, equanimity, and thejustness revealed in the light of Christ. Furthermore, we see the sword (often flaming) blocking the gates of Eden as a sign of protection - only the pure of heart may enter.
In Chinese symbolism dreams of swords indicate birth gender. It is believed that dreaming of a woman drawing a sword from water indicates the birth of a son. Many swords together or dancing swords in a dream indicates the dreamer is experiencing a fear of limitation and or avoiding death issues.

How does this relate to Jedi, Jediism and the fictional lightsaber?

In Jediism the lightsaber symbolism deals with protection, righteousness, and justice, also one can see from the color of the blade how pure of heart the Jedi is , bleu sabers represent the protecters, green: peacekeepers , red: not a natural color usualy occur with the sith , purple : Jedi;s who flirted with the dark side and so on.
For us Jedi’s in real life we have to be vigilant to do the right thing , we have to have courage even if everybody else does not , we have to be strong , bring together what has been divided , our way of life ,our philosophy is our sword.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by . Reason: forgot something

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227944 by
Thanks for that Marta!

Yes it seems that many different paths can be taken when talking about the symbology of the sword.

For example in the bible one of Jesus' most controversial statements "I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" has many interpretations. The question comes up as to whether it is a literal sword or a figurative one (a metaphor). There are different interpretations as to the nature of the sword he talks about even today! Some interpret it literally to mean the use of violence (possibly with a sword which was a common weapon in those days) will only result in oneself facing violence. This is a literal interpretation. Others interpret the sword he speaks of symbolically to mean "division". Those who believe in Jesus will be divided or separated from those who don't. The sword plays as a metaphor in this regard.

In my personal experience the sword has great meaning both physically and symbolically. Marines have the distinction of still carrying the oldest weapons still in service in the United States Armed Forces, the Sword. They represent the Marine Corps' rich heritage as America's original defenders. Marine Officers still carry the Mameluke sword, given to them by a Mameluke Chieftan in North Africa in recognition of the historic battle of Tripoli. This was the Marine Corps' first battle on foreign soil. Marine NCO’s also carry the M1859 Sword in recognition of their leadership in combat.

I guess what it comes down to is personal preference. Whether the sword or robes are something you carry physically or something you hold in your heart metaphorically makes no difference. I would say it is still an important symbol of Jediism as long as we continue to give it the reverence and respect it deserves. Would you agree?

On another note I think I just wrote a majority of my Sword Essay! lol B)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227952 by
aaah that is win win !!!

Yes i agree
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by . Reason: forgot something

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228063 by

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

tzb wrote: What role do these play in your path?

Absolutely ZERO.

Do you feel we are helped, hindered, or unaffected by associations between Jediism (the real world thing) and these aspects?

I don't think people realize that it makes them look like fans who have taken their fandom WAY too far, like creepy Scientologists or Twilight fans. ... People in costumes will never get taken seriously.

I agree, Snowy! Preparing to post on this topic, I noted on the Temple's login screen this:

We are real Jedi. ... We are not fictional Jedi, nor are we role playing. We live our lives according
to the principles of Jediism ... [italics mine]

The films nudged us here, but the wearing of robes and waving of sabres is, in my opinion, a disservice to our ... well, being of service, except perhaps for those of us who are entertainers.

What is available here is a serious philosophy, as light or as deep as we care to make it. I have a hard time taking even myself seriously if dressed in the costume of an action figure from the movies - whether a superhero, a spy, a pirate, or a Jedi.

Others of course may feel differently, and I don't mean to diminish their own experience. But for me, donning a robe and sabre feels too close to the fiction of those artworks from which our philosophy is modeled.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi