Robes and Sabers

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227862 by
Replied by on topic Robes and Sabers

tzb wrote: Everyone so far has said it is not inherently part of Jediism that we have robes and sabers, I agree. So why are those things so commonly associated?

Mm.. mixed up my words I guess.. tried to say it earlier.. ehm.. :blush:

I think that association is assumption. One associates trough connections that are made with something else, assuming they are ''together''? (I assume/believe that everything is together trough the force, but just saying on ''material idea'' of separation of two ''things'') It would be the assumption that creates the image that many people have when they mind about Jediism?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227868 by

Streen wrote: I think it's just a personal preference. I mean, Jediism is based on Star Wars, lets be honest. Without the movies we wouldn't be here, as Lightstrider explained. So where one draws the line between the fiction and the reality is entirely on an individual basis.

Personally, I like my brown hoodie. It's realistic, but representative of who I am in relation to Star Wars. I also am collecting lightsabers, which is more of a hobby than a spiritual practice, but they are symbolic of who and what I am.

I see nothing wrong with robes and sabers if you're comfortable with them. But I suppose if you want to be taken seriously as a Jedi, you might want to leave the robes and sabers at home.

*slams the table* THANK YOU!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227875 by
Thank you for starting this thread. This is one of my biggest hangups about getting more involved here. I am sincerely grateful to the folks that have shared simular thoughts.

tzb wrote: What role do these play in your path?

None what so ever! I consider them distraction and have no relevance

Do you feel we are helped, hindered, or unaffected by associations between Jediism (the real world thing) and these aspects?

A distraction/hinderence and have nothing to do with the spiritualism of this place

Do you feel they are valuable in identifying us as real Jedi, or more of a roleplay element?

Are they fine, but entirely separate from what we do here? Or should they play a larger role?

Do what you outside of this place. Enjoy the movies, have your fantasy play, dress up and talk funny. It's all good... just not here.

No wrong answers, just looking for the Temple's opinion today. I'm aware we have discussed this before, but the faces change, and even the same faces' ideas change.

My apologize to Brother John the founder in advance. You're a good person with a good heart. Your avatar set the stage and tone for the community. I DO NOT find inspiration in it. Forgive me I don't mean to hurt.

When this discussion came up I had to say what I feel. Be well. Peace

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227879 by

tzb wrote: It's not so much that it's important people know what we are - more that it's important they are not prejudiced against us for things we are not. It means people won't come here due a misconception of what we are, it means people openly mock us for things we are not. And whilst philosophically it might appear it shouldn't matter, we are all of us human. Having someone laugh in your face isn't an easy thing, for many people. Nor having people be dismissive of things we hold central to our beliefs and life as in some way ridiculous.

[....]

Trying to sum this up.. I'm more interested in trying to avoid or minimise misconceptions than correct them. People going around in robes waving plastic lightsabers doesn't really represent what Jediism is about, for me, too well.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate what you've said. It's certainly true that no one likes to be ridiculed for either their beliefs or how they express them; and whether or not we should care, it is often a great challenge to distance ourselves from the opinions of others. Still, for me, that will continue to be the end-goal.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227880 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Robes and Sabers

tzb wrote: So why are those things so commonly associated?

Because we call ourselves jedi?

IMO that immediately conjures up the image of robe wearing, saber wielding, force using keepers of the peace from the films (in the mind of those that do not know about us anyway). And I think it always will so long as we use that name.

The fact that starwars has such a large/extreme roleplaying fan base doesn't help either.

I'd be more bothered about the people that are laughing in your face about it. Are these really people you want to associate yourself with?

People like that will always find someway to laugh at you. If it's not your religion/beliefs, it will be the way you dress, or how you look etc.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi,

More
8 years 2 months ago #227885 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Robes and Sabers

Riyuma wrote:

Streen wrote: I think it's just a personal preference. I mean, Jediism is based on Star Wars, lets be honest. Without the movies we wouldn't be here, as Lightstrider explained. So where one draws the line between the fiction and the reality is entirely on an individual basis.

Personally, I like my brown hoodie. It's realistic, but representative of who I am in relation to Star Wars. I also am collecting lightsabers, which is more of a hobby than a spiritual practice, but they are symbolic of who and what I am.

I see nothing wrong with robes and sabers if you're comfortable with them. But I suppose if you want to be taken seriously as a Jedi, you might want to leave the robes and sabers at home.

*slams the table* THANK YOU!

I've reported the incident to the society against table abuse.

As for me, I live in one of the hottest, humid cities in my country, which is by the way, smack on the equator, so we get sun all year long. So, no robes for me. I do not own a lightsaber but I would love to, but not as a spiritual practice, but as a hobby.

I don't see much harm in dressing up though. Have you heard of the 501st Legion? They do charity work dressed up as stormtroopers. Not a bad idea:

http://www.501st.com/

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227888 by
Chicago Jedi also do something similar. They dress up and do events for charity. They also practice the philosophy.

Indy Jedi (my group) will do the same with a larger memberbase.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227889 by
So this brings up a question in my mind, If we are to question whether or not robes and sabers are a part of Jediism why is it part of the IP?

Essay 10: The Sword
The sword has been used symbolically throughout history.
What has its symbolism throughout history been?
How does this relate to Jedi, Jediism and the fictional lightsaber?

In taking the "IP" and coming across the above lesson I would assume that a (light) saber is an important representation and/or part of Jediism. So I guess I'm wondering, why the question?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227891 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: So this brings up a question in my mind, If we are to question whether or not robes and sabers are a part of Jediism why is it part of the IP?

In taking the "IP" and coming across the above lesson I would assume that a (light) saber is an important representation and/or part of Jediism. So I guess I'm wondering, why the question?

I saw this lesson more as a methaphorical question , i never assumed i was actually meant to build my own saber or sew my own robe. i love that we Dutch Jedi will go to a charity event and present ourselfes as Jedi one day maybee , there are 7 of us now so we could make an impression loll , it is also fun to imagine that to collect money for the homeless , but in my normal life i feel no need for a saber or a robe... i have mixed feelings about these symbols , on one hand its fun to dress up and be recognized as a Jedi , but in my heart i know that i would rather show people through my behaviour that i am a Jedi .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227892 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: So this brings up a question in my mind, If we are to question whether or not robes and sabers are a part of Jediism why is it part of the IP?

It seems, from someone who has not yet gone through any of the IP, as though that question is very similar to this thread discussion; not so much to suggest whether it is or isn't important, but to ask what the student thinks? Just my two cents. ^^;

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi