In Praise of Selectivity: Syncretic Jediism

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #226738 by Carlos.Martinez3
Adder I feel the same way both about the symbols as far as physical emblems and motions. Adapting them does seem to add a extra variables into play when explaining or researching at times.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #226871 by Adder
Actually, a unique thing I made up, is I do associate to a lightsaber (cringe) is to work on bringing it into lucid dreaming. In an effort to explore the usefulness of lucid dreaming as a conjunct to waking awareness, I needed some way to connect through the fluid flow of dreams to relate to the outside world, most importantly by bodies own senses. So what it does is becomes a signal device to train oneself to have in ones hands in dreams, or at least able to be summoned (which other uses eg self defence in the dream etc but that is beside the point). The trick is then to let the blade color be variable, and to use waking meditation to associate colors to particular states of physical duress.

So the saber becomes a sign post to the lucid dreamer about when to stop lucid dreaming, and let the body take over as it might need to wake up for some reason. It's a work in a progress... but it's an interesting 'skillful means'!

As cringeworthy as a lightsaber might seem, yes it does play a role in my path, I'll admit it :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago #226878 by Jestor
Topic moved to Open Discussions forum....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227657 by
Metaphor is a form of symbolic language. Metaphor is an essential element of human language. We can neither think or speak without metaphor. Metaphor is not a superfluous poetic additive to dress up what is ordinary but is rather present in the very way we think and speak.

There are a variety of symbols / metaphors that appear in how we write and think about Jediism. One example is the Path. Our learning is metaphorized as occurring in a sequence with one object of knowledge following another in time. Learning is a path and the quality of this experience is metaphorized as a Journey, that is, our decision to learn is intentional with landmarks along the way (lessons, objects of learning) and a destination (finishing the program, becoming an Apprentice). This way of thinking is not simply an analogy, learning is like a path and our education is like a journey. The way we think and communicate about learning is that it is not only 'like' a path, it is a path; our learning is not 'like' a journey, it is a journey. The metaphorical quality in which we think about life and learning is that it is a path. There are other metaphors for learning, such as, light or vision; these too are metaphors and are essential our way of thinking. But essential is not necessary. We can learn to think in alternative metaphors. To know how one thinks precedes (appears earlier on the path) knowing how to think in a new and different way (thinking is a 'way'). To think Jedi requires one to be aware of their metaphors and the symbolic manner in which they conceptualize their experiences in the world.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227661 by

Alan wrote: One example is the Path. Our learning is metaphorized as occurring in a sequence with one object of knowledge following another in time. (finishing the program, becoming an Apprentice). This way of thinking is not simply an analogy, learning is like a path and our education is like a journey. There are other metaphors for learning, such as, light or vision; these too are metaphors and are essential our way of thinking. But essential is not necessary.

• How can something that is essential, be not needed? Do you have a example of a not required essential thing?
  • If one does not understand metaphor, how does one know he or she learns from it?

~ Aqua
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227689 by Carlos.Martinez3

Adder wrote: Actually, a unique thing I made up, is I do associate to a lightsaber (cringe) is to work on bringing it into lucid dreaming. In an effort to explore the usefulness of lucid dreaming as a conjunct to waking awareness, I needed some way to connect through the fluid flow of dreams to relate to the outside world, most importantly by bodies own senses. So what it does is becomes a signal device to train oneself to have in ones hands in dreams, or at least able to be summoned (which other uses eg self defence in the dream etc but that is beside the point). The trick is then to let the blade color be variable, and to use waking meditation to associate colors to particular states of physical duress.

So the saber becomes a sign post to the lucid dreamer about when to stop lucid dreaming, and let the body take over as it might need to wake up for some reason. It's a work in a progress... but it's an interesting 'skillful means'!

As cringeworthy as a lightsaber might seem, yes it does play a role in my path, I'll admit it :silly:

Some one if you can please add if you have the knowledge but I learned from a Egyptian how to do this. It is very ...direct and difficult. Worth the very time used to learn. I have forgotten the name and the idea, I wish I could remember lol
A actual sword was vibrating in my dream while I slept and he seemed to be there in my dreams. Helped me learn a lot! ALOT!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227727 by Adder

carlos.martinez3 wrote: Some one if you can please add if you have the knowledge but I learned from a Egyptian how to do this. It is very ...direct and difficult. Worth the very time used to learn. I have forgotten the name and the idea, I wish I could remember lol
A actual sword was vibrating in my dream while I slept and he seemed to be there in my dreams. Helped me learn a lot! ALOT!

Not sure about Egyptian, but I started when I read the 1989 November issue of OMNI .

Attachment hbb150b9.jpg not found

I did a short write up at this page in my journal (Knights area). It is for me part of the Tibetan Six Yogas of Naropa and/or the Six Yogas of Niguma.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227740 by
"The essence of a metaphor is understanding and experiencing one kind of thing in terms of another."

Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson.

For example: argument is war.
This is how we metaphorically talk about arguments.
  • Arguments are won.
  • There is a strategy used in arguments to ensure victory.
  • Facts are ammunition.
  • "Her criticisms were on target."

We conceptualize arguments in the language of conflict/war. It isn't necessary to use this metaphor to describe argument. Argument could just as easily be described by another metaphor, perhaps in terms of construction, or painting.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi