In Praise of Selectivity: Syncretic Jediism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223699 by
Recently, in diverse threads here at the Temple, the attribute of syncretism in Jediism has been mentioned. This quality of admitting elements of different religious beliefs and philosophical traditions into our practice of Jediism is one of our foundational principles. For example, we begin with a study of Joseph Campbell’s concepts of hero and myth. In Hero With A Thousand Faces, Campbell provides a method for assembling our own hero story from episodes of different myths. By explaining how different myths from diverse traditions scattered over time and from around the world are structurally similar we have an example of what to look for in these stories and what they share with one another. The journey of the hero is composed of episodes that share features with other myths. Myths from Hinduism or the Pawnee, Buddhism or The Bible share a structure where the protagonist moves through stages toward fulfillment of her or his destiny. As Jedi we can collect these heroic stories and incorporate them into our own story. We are the hero of our journey. The myths we find that reflect our understanding of ourselves and our experiences are assembled into our form of Jediism. Each syncretic combination unique to us, but also, universal and timeless.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223703 by
wikkipedia: ,,Syncretism (/ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/) is the combining of different, often contradictory beliefs''

Alan wrote: Each syncretic combination unique to us, but also, universal and timeless.

contradictions.. do not work well if put together? How can something that stand against something of opposite believe result to universal and timeless understanding of uniqueness?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223709 by
Contradiction is one way of looking at syncretism. In practice, and using another definition, syncretism emphasizes how the diverse elements work together. Some kinds of religious syncretism might be described as a layering of distinctive elements. For example, Santeria combines a Yoruba pantheon with the figures of Spanish Roman Catholicism. The saints stand for Yoruba deities. The monotheism of Catholicism is rife with other spiritual beings (angels, archangels, principalities, powers, cherubim, seraphim, etc.) and with a belief in the intercessory powers of saints. In Yoruba spirituality, the gods are prayed to for help within their particular sphere of influence: childbirth, agricultural fecundity, justice, etc. Yes, the challenge of syncretism is finding a way for the distinctive elements to work together. Campbell provides a method of distilling the different myths into a structure and then to employ the stages of the journey as a guide to discovering their common significance.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223712 by
The Initiates Program here at the Temple introduces the Novice to the practice of syncretism. Campbell shows the structure of the hero’s journey and discusses how the content of the journey, even though each is different they also share some common attributes. Both the structure of journey’s stages and the end or goal is common even if they are expressed in different myths in seemingly contradictory ways. For Campbell, the practice of mythic syncretism is made possible through the interpretation of the symbols in the myth. No myth is literal. For example, the common symbol for each hero is that she must cross a threshold but while the threshold crossing is a common symbol, how it is crossed is unique for each, but that it is crossed is common symbol. The Jedi’s challenge when combining distinctive elements from diverse mythologies is ensuring a degree of compatibility and that comes from an interpretation of the symbolic stages. Campbell’s interpretation of each stage symbol is that it shows how the hero moves toward spiritual maturity.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223723 by
One essential way to develop a consistent syncretism is to come to a fuller understanding of myth.

What myth is not is the opposite of fact. This fallacious distinction - ‘mixing apples and oranges’ is a common misconception.

Below are definitions of myth to supplement our Jedi studies. These definitions provide a context for interpretation.

Myth is a traditional narration regarding the nature of the sacred. The power of myth is that it reveals to the believer the nature of the bond between a person and what she or he considers sacred.

Myth is a traditional narrative account of the origin of an aspect or symbol of the sacred.

Myth narrates a sacred history telling of events in primordial time and revealing how reality or a part of reality came into existence.

Myth is the narrative embodiment of an idea.

Myth is a narrative account of the origin of the symbol.

Myth is the symbolic expression of primal experiences. In other words, the symbols in the myth represent a primary aspect of experienced reality.

Myth is a “traditional narration which relates to events that happened at the beginning of time and which has the purpose of providing grounds for the ritual actions of men of today and, in a general manner, establishing all the forms of action and thought by which man understands himself in his world.” (Paul Ricoeur, The Symbolism of Evil)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223753 by
I think any form of "religion" can trace its origins back to myth. Ancient man used myth to explain components of the world he did not understand or could not comprehend. They were his best attempt to explain phenomena that were otherwise unexplainable. These myths came from a variety of places including stories from other cultures to "divine revelation". It seems that anytime humans reach the edge of their understanding the need to be able to explain things overwhelms them and they delve into stories of the supernatural divine.

Over time these religions begin to intermingle and from the mish-mash of ideas new religions are formed. Christianity is nothing more than a conglomeration of more ancient ideas and concepts from Sumerians and Egyptian stories among others. In the end however they can all be traced back to myth, which in turn can be traced back to an attempt to describe the indescribable or explain the inexplicable.

I don't think we will ever reach the edge of the vast sea of knowledge. And even if we did I think we would discover that there are things in this universe that can never "know". And because of that myth will always be an important part of our existence.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #223755 by Edan

Aqua wrote: wikkipedia: ,,Syncretism (/ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/) is the combining of different, often contradictory beliefs''

Alan wrote: Each syncretic combination unique to us, but also, universal and timeless.

contradictions.. do not work well if put together? How can something that stand against something of opposite believe result to universal and timeless understanding of uniqueness?

You would be surprised... I am a Satanist as well as a Jedi... when looked at these ideas probably seem at odds... the selfish ego versus connection to others. But in fact, these odd contradictions have proved to be complementary, and I feel that only with both am I whole.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223757 by

Edan wrote: You would be surprised... I am a Satanist as well as a Jedi... when looked at these ideas probably seem at odds... the selfish ego versus connection to others. But in fact, these odd contradictions have proved to be complementary, and I feel that only with both am I whole.

I would agree. I think it is very important to embrace both sides of our nature, both the dark and the light. The trick is to use them together in harmony and balance and not let one side dominate the other. Although I am not a satanist I was drawn to paganism for those same ideals. All our emotions are valid and we should not be ashamed of any of them as long as we keep them in balance.

Beyond that I think we live with contradiction in our lives every day but we always find ways to justify those contradictions. Everything from a Christians justification of the contradictions of the bible to the idea that we know smoking a pack of cigarettes a day or eating that second piece of pie will eventually kill us but "its OK this one more time".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #223758 by

Edan wrote:

Aqua wrote: wikkipedia: ,,Syncretism (/ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/) is the combining of different, often contradictory beliefs''

You would be surprised... I am a Satanist as well as a Jedi... when looked at these ideas probably seem at odds... the selfish ego versus connection to others. But in fact, these odd contradictions have proved to be complementary, and I feel that only with both am I whole.

I remember you wore a satan pentagram.. I have a very, very good memory.. I am not surprised, no offence of course! So I suspected you were from the first second I saw you. But I know you know that as well.. Ehm, back to your words, is satanism a contradiction to Jediism? if Jediism itself is Syncretic? Hmm.. not very sure about that, but I do understand what you try to explain :)

~ Aqua
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223759 by
Myth is not a narrative that becomes obsolete when we become modern or technological or scientific. Myth doesn't address scientific questions nor are the narratives of myth a pre-scientific explanation. Myth is always current because it is a narrative about the way the world is. Myths tell the story of why things are the way that they are.

For example: why doesn't our deity walk around with us in our daily life? This is certainly a correct description of the world as we know it here and now. God is silent and invisible. For those persons who live mythically the answer is that the original humans disobeyed the commandment. The narrative is that the original humans walked about in a garden and the creator would come and visit them every day. Paradise is oneness with the divine. There was only one rule: Do not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Disobedience to the commandment caused the separation of the divine and the human. Three monotheisms share the story and it gives them answers to such questions and it gives them their identity in this life. For Jews, the narrative provides the foundation for their practice of abiding by the law so as to restore the divine-human relationship. For Christianity, the narrative about Jesus tells the story of how he restores the relationship and redeems humanity. For Muslims, submission to the divine being restores the relationship.

Myth tells the story of how and why things are the way that they are, and so, in the telling shows us who we are and how we are to live.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi