[Open Forum] What is "freedom of speech?"

More
8 years 3 months ago #222900 by Carlos.Martinez3
I can say this, My level of patience and eco comunical views continues to grow as does my awareness of the bigger picture aka the others around me. I would hope we take a greater sense of responsibility. I will.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222905 by ren

Jestor wrote: Evidently, after some research, I seem to find out I am wrong... Its why you cannot silence NWA or Sir-Mix-Alot

I have another question, is this the path [strike]you[/strike] we want to go down?

You look at those other sites, and how they turned out, all of them....

TJW was destroyed by issues between mods and users. Not unlike the ones that are being spoken about this very moment.

carlos.martinez3 wrote:

ren wrote: The ability to use any language to convey any information without fear of reprisal.

Examples:

Using the arabic language to say the president is an asshole without being assaulted by a passer-by.
Using AAVE to accuse rich people of being slavers without being shot at by the police.

I think freedoms come with responsibilities. Its the... old Should Jedi carry swords. Maturity and responsibility come with free speech like any other gift it is the one who uses , wields it and also those around them. Free speech can be a tool or a weapon depending on the user. The intention. Very dangerous ground. Not every one is at the same place and not every one has the responsibility or control some do. Do you give a room full of adolescent and ir responsible people live weapons... what would you expect the out come to be. We kina have to adjust not only to the situation but the people, the living beins around it. Lots to ponder... Thanks Jestor!

Totjo supplies all its users with the ability to close the browser window... We don't use them "look at me until your brain bleeds" pop-ups...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by ren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Carlos.Martinez3

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #222906 by Jestor
Yea, I'll just have to take your word for it.. Ibwasnt there...

My guess would be lack of growth too...

Few would join a new church (and stay) where folks act like they do at FA...

I know I didn't... And othrs here who didn't, and some there that didn't like our "vanilla" ways and left us...

This won't break TOTJO, but, it may have an impact...

No policy change has been made, yet, so, for the time being, things remain as they are.... ;)

And, as this seems to be more the exception than the rule, I doubt a change will be implemented....

See, we conducted a whole conversation, and no profanity or rudeness...

Funny, huh?

:lol:....

~from the Hitchhicker's Guide in my Galaxy S3~

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222907 by

Few would join a new church (and stay) where folks act like they do at FA...

Which may be the rub.

The FA, is not a church, and has 3 distinct aspects interacting.

This is a Jedi, church.

So, if one was going to the FA with expectations of a church, or TOTJO, then yes, I suppose the way we act there would be off putting.

Still, for those of us that stay, we do fine.

We are not a free for all however.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222911 by
Freedom of speech is absolute--no one can control what another says.

However, especially in an online community whereas one's speech is a form of action, people must be willing to accept accountability for their actions.

I there are rules of decorum, anyone that participates within this site is obligated to act within the parameters of such, or be prepared to accept the consequences.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222922 by
Freedom of speech is very tricky. The price of freedom is responsibility, which to me means knowing that you have the freedom to make the wrong choice and that that choice comes with consequences. That is why any truly free country will have problems, because people are free to do bad things just as people are free to do good things.

Freedom of speech means, to me, that I can say whatever I like, however I like, but I have to live with how people react. Personally, 'however I like' means exactly that, but I do feel that we should do what we can to make sure as to not offend unless necessary (and it can be necessary, though rarely). I also know that people have a right to not want to hear certain kinds of things. When I am in their house, I play by their rules, it's common courtesy. They have the right to set the rules, and I have the right to leave if I don't like them.

I have the right to run in to a Catholic church and scream "All Hail Satan!" during Sunday mass, but I shouldn't be surprised when they get upset and attack me either verbally or even physically (though I'd hope that they don't resort to physical violence from one Satanic shout).

On the internet things get even trickier with the ability to remove things. If we remove posts are we really promoting freedom of speech? That's the real question isn't it. As I see it, if you posted something you've said it. One of the consequences might be it's removal. That's you having the freedom to post it and the mods having the freedom to remove it. That's part of the rules that you agreed to by posting in a forum with rules that are publicly stated. If you felt it was unjust we have ways of dealing with that which are convenient laid out in our FAQs under Filing a complaint . ;)

I, personally, am more in favor of leaving everything up and dealing with it than deleting posts. Maybe lock down the thread either permanently or temporarily, but leave it up. I'd prefer to see a lock down with an explanation of why. A learning experience for all of us. I have, however, seen things get removed that I have no problem seeing removed. Especially if things begin to get personal, if it's one person specifically trash talking another person (or group of people) then that has no reason to be on a public forum unless the person on the receiving end wants it to stand for some reason. I am also, not a moderator, and I respect the role and those who have it and do not presume to tell them how they should do it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222946 by
Why don't we act both civilized and brutal?

Let's have civilized forums so that we know we'll have minimum irritation when in search of knowledge.

Let's have marked brutal threads for those who need to let their demons go play. Like this .

We all have beast inside. I just prefer mine to leave it's trace in specially designated place. Because I am the master of my beast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222947 by

Kjartan wrote: Freedom of speech is absolute--no one can control what another says.

However, especially in an online community whereas one's speech is a form of action, people must be willing to accept accountability for their actions.

I there are rules of decorum, anyone that participates within this site is obligated to act within the parameters of such, or be prepared to accept the consequences.

Indeed , i think the rules at the Temple are clear enough where behaviour and attitude are concerned , if we are Jedi , we should behave like Jedi and not like we are on Facebook. We can say whatever we want off course , but is it usefull , upbuilding or just to have our say? Does it contribute in keeping us together or do we retreat on our little islands of being "right"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222949 by
Mediocre Russian alcoholic is more masterful in obscene curses than even Eminem, never saying of anyone here I've read.

Our teacher of Russian language and literature always told us that Russian obscene is beautiful and powerful, mythology-deep. And she was a very polite lady in her 50s.

If you want to be brutal, do it like an artist. Otherwise it is boring.

Ignorance, yet knowledge - science here .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222951 by
I have been temporarily banned three times, and warned a couple of others.

I was free to say what I liked, but at a cost.

At my home site, we say, the risk you take by posting, is that someone may answer.

Here, the risk could mean your ability to post at all.

I know that, and so, exercise my freedom without costing myself my voice completely.

I see little reason to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi