[Open Forum] What is "freedom of speech?"

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #222812 by Jestor
Hello...

Per a conversation I am having elsewhere, I would like the majority opinioin...

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts....

The current points are:

Freedom of Speech means:

1. The ability to speak as one likes... (any word, nothing taboo)

2. The ability to share any idea of train of thought with no consequences... (ideas are not silenced, however, words may be, as there are always several ways to say the same thing)

This is my position, although I may be wrong:

Attachment h2085367.JPG not found

It says nothing about 'guaranteeing of word choices'...

I am told: If you can't say something, then you don't have freedom of speech.

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222819 by
I believe freedom of speech is the expression of an idea, thought, belief, or feeling. This can range from religion to the idea that x group of people are evil, personally stating you hate a particular person including giving someone the middle finger, saying unicorns exist, or believing the world is flat.

Freedom of speech ends when someone says something that will create a likely result of physical injury. Easy example would be yelling fire in a crowded room, when no fire exists, because people have the potential to panic by knocking people over and hurting them in an attempt to flee. Another example would be running up to someone and telling them if they do not do something physical harm would come to them. Physical harm does not need to happen just the likely possibility needs to exist. I also believe intent plays a large role when it comes to freedom of speech. Example would be speaking to a crowd and urging them to cause violence or destruction but if you gave a speech that said unicorns don't exist and someone physically acts out because they believe so strongly unicorns exist then that would be an unattended consequence.

Tough question and when it comes to speech it is definitely a case by case basis.

More
8 years 3 months ago #222820 by rugadd
You can say whatever you want. You are not guaranteed a positive response.

Being told you can not post on a board is not an infringement of this right. You can sit in front of your computer and talk all you want about how unfair it is that your account got banned. Nobody has to let you use their toys. Nobody has to listen.

I, personally, don't remove people from things like my FB feed when I don't like the way they said something. It is all part of life and I see no advantage that isn't dishonest to unfriending and deleting posts. I think I've done it once in the last ten years. But these forums don't belong to me. I am here by the grace of the admins and my ability to get along with others.

Welcome to society. None of us is an Emperor that anyone else has to put up with.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222822 by
Okey, in dutch language has similarities with very old way of talking. Think of ancient Sumerians writing for example. One can cut every word in pieces and paste all words or word pieces together. Everything has meaning in every single combination that is allowed. Not sure if that is the same with American/English language, but allow me to explain it in my native words for this time.
I know it may be more difficult to puzzle this one out. And I rarely use it because of that, but I shall not give translation of it this time. So I would like to say sorry for that at first. I know I am better able to explain what it means for me personally than I could in using other words. So enjoy puzzle if you like, know that I do.. :side:
How I came to the answer is hidden in the spoiler, for people that are brave enough to translate every part.. ;)
Warning: Spoiler!

So, to put it all simple together.. Freedom means ,,to give attention to opinion that is not bound.'' Simple said, just no boundaries. Speech is a form of speaking out thoughts. So freedom of speech, must be unbound thoughts.

It are not the consequences that make freedom of speech, it is the boundaries it does not use. This can be found back in all the ancient language that tells it, just not use a every day dictionary for this one. :blink: People can give their own meaning to your question, it is all depending what sources you would like to use. I gave you the Proto-Germanic meaning. Nothing more.

Hope it helps somehow.. :blush:

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222825 by Brick
Freedom of speech is always a tricky one.

I agree that there are often different ways to say the same thing. However, different words for the same thing exist for a reason, they can create a different tone/effect/degree of meaning.

When it comes to words that are widely accepted as offensive/socially unacceptable etc. then I do not believe there is ever an OK time to use those words (if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all). Now, although I do not believe a person should say these things, I do believe they should be allowed to say them. Irrespective of how offensive it may be.

Ultimately, censorship is censorship, no matter how mild it may be. In my mind that directly contradicts the idea of 'freedom'.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Brick.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222833 by
you can say anything as long as you do not slander another person or infringe on their rights. Some examples of infringing on rights have already been talked about above.

I think its that simple.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago #222840 by Avalon
I'll let someone else do my talking.

Warning: Spoiler!

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Manu, Adder, Kit

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #222841 by Jestor
Ok, is it the 'words' or 'ideas'?

I get that 'freedom is the opposite of censorship'...

Can you 'use what ever ideas you want'?

Or,

Can you express 'whatever idea you want'?

Or,

Both, I guess, lol...

(btw Avalon, that is my "stache of memes", lol... I love that!)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 3 months ago #222843 by Avalon

Jestor wrote: (btw Avalon, that is my "stache of memes", lol... I love that!)

Hey, it fits.... especially with some of the threads I've seen floatin around lately lol

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

More
8 years 3 months ago #222848 by Carlos.Martinez3
Freedom of speech...
Where I live now the view and the action are as different as apples and oranges. The intention is to be able to say what you want when you want without reprisal.
The evident is to speak with out offence.
The present is only fear and give minimum as possible to avoid retaliation.

Seems to me to be a double standard with obvious missing parameters.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi