[Open Forum] What is "freedom of speech?"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222852 by
You can say anything you want and I can respond any way I want. It's how you say it and respond that's the rub.

There are not any excuse for; rudeness, insults and poor manners in a polite civilized society. If you exceed the norms of your group the members are free to remind you of this. I'm not saying the group is right or wrong or life is fair. That's just the way things are.

You're also free to speak anywhere you want in public but if you're rude in my house I'll show you the door.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 3 months ago #222860 by ren
The ability to use any language to convey any information without fear of reprisal.

Examples:

Using the arabic language to say the president is an asshole without being assaulted by a passer-by.
Using AAVE to accuse rich people of being slavers without being shot at by the police.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #222863 by Jestor

ren wrote: The ability to use any language to convey any information without fear of reprisal.

Examples:

Using the arabic language to say the president is an asshole without being assaulted by a passer-by.
Using AAVE to accuse rich people of being slavers without being shot at by the police.

If that first line is your definition, may I ask for its references?

I would like to agree on the definition...:)

If we are just using our own personal ones, well, than of course, thats different...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
8 years 3 months ago #222868 by Alexandre Orion
Guys, ....

... before you go banging on about "freedom of speech", you need to get a groundwork for discussing what "freedom" is. That has been a pretty intricate discussion for a while. Perhaps we can help ...

The "... of speech" part is pretty easy. That would include all 'speech-acts', written or oral, which constitute or contribute to the expression of a particular or extended meaning. Once one gets what "freedom" is hammered out, then that is what would permit those acts.

There are lots of references in moral philosophy that one could draw upon. For this topic, consulting Emmanuel Jafflin could be useful.

Another part of the question could be how that freedom might be used most effectively. After all, one is technically "free" to use a banana, a vase or a stick of dynamite as a hammer, but that might not be the best way to get the job done. Yet, one does indeed have the choice as to whether or not to try ...

:cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 3 months ago #222871 by ren

Jestor wrote:

ren wrote: The ability to use any language to convey any information without fear of reprisal.

Examples:

If that first line is your definition, may I ask for its references?

I would like to agree on the definition...:)

If we are just using our own personal ones, well, than of course, thats different...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/speech
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/freedom
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Le_Barbier_Dichiarazione_dei_diritti_dell%27uomo.jpg

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222877 by Carlos.Martinez3

Examples:

I think freedoms come with responsibilities. Its the... old Should Jedi carry swords. Maturity and responsibility come with free speech like any other gift it is the one who uses , wields it and also those around them. Free speech can be a tool or a weapon depending on the user. The intention. Very dangerous ground. Not every one is at the same place and not every one has the responsibility or control some do. Do you give a room full of adolescent and ir responsible people live weapons... what would you expect the out come to be. We kina have to adjust not only to the situation but the people, the living beins around it. Lots to ponder... Thanks Jestor!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
8 years 3 months ago #222884 by Manu
A 7 year old boy sat quietly in the classroom, all his peers working on their notebooks.
The boy raises his hand slowly and shy.
The teacher gives the boy a inquiring look
"Yes, Jimmy?", said the teacher.
"Can I pee Ms. Oak?", asked Jimmy.
"I don't know. Can you?, responded Ms. Oak, expecting Jimmy to use "May" instead of "Can".
Jimmy stood up slowly and looked around to his classmates
Pee started to flow through his pants and onto the floor

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #222890 by Jestor
Evidently, after some research, I seem to find out I am wrong... Its why you cannot silence NWA or Sir-Mix-Alot

I have another question, is this the path [strike]you[/strike] we want to go down?

You look at those other sites, and how they turned out, all of them....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222898 by
No, not really.

We are a website that exists for a specific purpose - training Jedi and educating others about what the Jedi path entails. The relative freedom of the forum (so long as you're polite, as catered for in the rules of posting as established and maintained by experienced Jedi) is freedom enough for me.

The rest of the internet with its varying degrees of freedom is but a URL away.

It is neither practical nor beneficial for us to try and be all things for all people.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222899 by
Freedom of speech: the right to say whatever you want, then get punched in the mouth for it afterward.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi