Apprentice Arisaigs article on Grey Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 20 hours ago #320997 by

rugadd wrote: I am wondering whom you might consider an authority on The Grey path, Kyrin?

I'm not sure if authority is the correct term but I believe I just presented myself as a follower of the Grey that is willing to offer insights ari seems to have not considered or been exposed to.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 20 hours ago #321000 by

JamesSand wrote:

I think we're still all good here.

Don't worry about me buddy, I have all the time in the worth for both Ari and Kyrin, and I know they're both more than capable of looking after themselves and presenting or ceding their points as they see fit.

Oh, I'm not worried about any of you. Unlike some who get a little upset by conflict, I pop the popcorn and watch with excited anticipation. You all teach me a lot just from watching the interactions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 18 hours ago #321003 by
Pass the popcorn.

I'm interested in what Kyrin has to say regarding Grey though, and how those thoughts compare to the OP's thoughts on the Grey.
I did do more looking than my earlier glance at the first Grey code I found, and sure enough, there is more than one. Beyond the humorous imaginings of "well, how do they differentiate? Is one #C0C0C0, another #A9A9A9, and the other #808080?" it would be nice to see the perspective without the cloudcover of "Grey is a setback" hanging over it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 13 hours ago #321007 by
I knew someone would hint at 50 shades of Grey/Gray , did not think it would be that late in the discussion though.

More
6 years 8 hours ago - 6 years 8 hours ago #321009 by Zenchi

Senan wrote:

JamesSand wrote:

I think we're still all good here.

Don't worry about me buddy, I have all the time in the worth for both Ari and Kyrin, and I know they're both more than capable of looking after themselves and presenting or ceding their points as they see fit.

Oh, I'm not worried about any of you. Unlike some who get a little upset by conflict, I pop the popcorn and watch with excited anticipation. You all teach me a lot just from watching the interactions.

Precisely why we fail as a church and a school, and the very same reason why TOTJO will never be anything more than a forum where people with no lives are encouraged to chew at each other. I'm not stating the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of one individual, but this is a prime example...

Prospering from constant conflict, now if you could just learn to market it and sell tickets, maby the site could pay for itself... Lol

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 8 hours ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley,

More
6 years 6 hours ago #321013 by rugadd
Kryin:

Do you have any threads you dedicated to explaining The Grey path?

Did you find any truth in Arisaigs article? IE Do some professing to follow the Grey do it for the reasons written about?

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 hours ago - 6 years 3 hours ago #321026 by
Kehta,
The reason there are so many grey codes is because the grey do not conform to a single doctrine. This is too stifling for a grey adherent. The most prolific in the path follow a fluid creed and the path encourages each journeyer to write their own code that suites them perfectly but no others.

Zenchi,
On the contrary, that is precisely what will allow this church to grow. Whats killing it is staunch conformity to your dogma and overbearing rules and requirement to conform to a set way of thinking.

Rugard,
Yes I have a journal where I do precisely that. I have been working on it for over a year now and it can probably explain my grey philosophy much better than anything I could write here. As for whether others follow the grey for reasons in the article I can not say. I can only speak for myself in this as is the nature of a Grey follower.

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/47-Journals/118237-kamikeedi-temple-of-the-resurrected-order-of-the-je-daii

As for my agreement with anything that Arisaig said in his article, in a word, no. The grey path is not a middle path between two extremes. It is an embracing of both extremes equally. The Jedi path is actually the one that walks that middle ground. They are about careful control and moderation in all things. They never fully embrace the complete power of either extreme. They want to shun or control what they would call negative emotions like hate and fear and anger but they also only want to regulate positive ones like love.

Jedi are warry of attachment while a Grey force user will embrace attachment for power. This power is not over others but over self. The article says the Grey are unwilling to push themselves toward the impossible. This is simply not true. Grey do not view emotions as positive or negative and they don’t limit themselves in any undertaking. In fact their entire journey is about achieving the impossible. Jedi want to control their environment. The grey just let their environment be what it wants to be and then takes advantage of that. This is a more natural state to exist in and it’s harder to achieve that trying to enforce any artificial systems of control. These artificial systems are subject to unnatural resistance because that is not the way we evolved to function. Instead we were meant to achieve symbiosis with our environment and achieve goals without undue or unnatural resistance by taking advantage of our evolutionary traits such as emotion.

Greys see every emotion not as good or bad but as violent or passive. And every emotion contains both these potentials. It is not the emotion itself that gives it this potential, it is the use of the emotion. In this idea Greys see love as having the potential for greatest constructive purposes but also for the greatest of destructive purposes. Hate and anger, all of the emotions are the same way and so grey embrace all emotion and use all to their greatest potential because grey understand that no matter whether any act we undertake is constructive or destructive, both are still acts of creation.

It is not control of our emotions that we seek, that is a limiting Jedi view. It is mastery that we strive for, that is the truly impossible goal! The article says grey avoid pain. This is categorically false. In fact we embrace pain and suffering as necessary and the most effective paths to growth. I just said this in another thread but I will say it here again. It’s not about fixing or avoiding the damage in our lives, it’s about the damage itself. Those damaged spots become the strongest part of our lives. Just like a broken bone becomes stronger at the break over time. It’s still damaged, still scarred still gone through that trama but is now even better equipped than before.

For a follower of the Grey path it’s not love that is going to save humanity. It’s us that needs to save love in spite of the indifference of nature! That is the mission and in order to do that we need our pain and our scars and our damage because those things become our armor in the fight! This is not the middle road of avoidance the Jedi walk. It is the veering off the road into the uncharted wilderness to conquer every fear and make it our bitch! That is the impossible journey!
Last edit: 6 years 3 hours ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 hours ago - 6 years 1 hour ago #321029 by
That was a really great explanation.

Edit to add:

Although, on further thinking. You said that Grey is encouraged to write their own code that suits them. Couldn’t that lead to someone throwing everything you just said out the window and coming up with something completely contradictory? To coming up with a code the way some writers come up with a MarySue?
Last edit: 6 years 1 hour ago by .

More
6 years 1 hour ago - 6 years 1 hour ago #321030 by Zenchi
The problem I've had is not so much with the label, but the definition we attempt to attach to them. It's pigeon holing people into groups, for convenience sake...

That's dangerous. Especially in a society where language continues to change as fast as it has. I didn't take offense to what was written in the initial article, but out of all the labels regarding Jedi, Sith or Grey, I tend to fall within that Grey area, and I'm all about discipline & growth...

Unless I'm being a lazy slouch, usually happens on Wednesday as Survivor and The Expanse both hit...

It's just the whole process of grouping people and then defining them in such a negative light in similar fashion where they (we) all think alike, have the same motivations, etc etc ad nauseum...

Grey Jedi is a pretty expansive term covering a very wide range of people. Assuming we have it all figured out who they are and how they live, is the exact same bs people pull when they come into the Temple and start preaching against the Sith...

Yay ignorant people and role players...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 1 hour ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 hour ago - 6 years 58 minutes ago #321031 by

Kehta Nier wrote: That was a really great explanation.

Edit to add:

Although, on further thinking. You said that Grey is encouraged to write their own code that suits them. Couldn’t that lead to someone throwing everything you just said out the window and coming up with something completely contradictory? To coming up with a code the way some writers come up with a MarySue?

I see the paths as each having their own “North Star” so to speak, that they will follow. In this, one does not choose a path. They already are the embodiment of that path because of who they are as a being. The trick is to figure out who that person is inside each of us and which attributes we carry as sacred.

For the Jedi that North Star is Compassion and Honor. They have a strong sense of duty to a cause or service to others.

For the Grey that North Star is Freedom. They follow their own whims and avoid rules and traditions. Their own desire for freedom determines any decisions of morality.

For the Sith their North Star is Passion. They have no use for rules and believe moral systems are a lie. The pursuit of their passion is undertaken regardless of the lives of others and it is a pursuit they will chase until there is victory or death.

So yes one can write a code that strays so far from the Grey path that it may invalidate everything I have said here. But that only really means they have drifted so far from the North Star of the Grey that they have taken up the north star of another path and in this, they are no longer really grey anyway and they never truly were. This is not a dividing up of people as Zenchi suggests. That has already been done for us as a natural consequence of our diversity as humans. No path is wrong, just different.
Last edit: 6 years 58 minutes ago by .