New Chatroom?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232400 by
Replied by on topic New Chatroom?

Wescli Wardest wrote:

you look away for just a moment...then try to scroll up to catch up with the topic....while others are still chatting....and getting bumped back down to the bottom every single time someone says something.....Grrrrrrrr

That is also a complaint I have had with it. Very annoying when you're trying to copy things for records as well. Like the Ceremonies.

A lot of the interactive functions that some of the chats have tend to slow things down when the chat is full. They're fun, but I don't feel they are necessary. Not saying we would never get something with them, but if we did we might disable them as a possibility... just depending on how things went. :unsure:

I would like a strong chat platform that was maybe a little more customizable, but more importantly, I would be able to go back through a record and see what was happening.

I believe with Fri Chat you just get an upgraded version and there is no longer any lag. I don't know for sure....never had enough members to test it out.

Those beefy platforms are out there...just gotta look :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #232402 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic New Chatroom?
This was one of my last lists... ;)

The calendar and Subforum for knight Journals has been completed... as Well as other requests..

(1995, snicker)

Attachment h42f0abd.JPG not found

Honestly, I dislike the chat room because it is clunky and "old" feeling. I don't have too much issue with the features. OHhh but rooms would be nice!!

Yea, if we had something more mobile friendly, I would be soooo happy....

And, we all like differetn things...

I seldom use Skype, I like G+... But, if we had something, less clunky(?) it might make it so we didnt all use all the chats... I dont use Facebook either, but, I think Im prejudice against it, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232403 by

Jestor wrote: I seldom use Skype, I like G+... But, if we had something, less clunky(?) it might make it so we didnt all use all the chats... I dont use Facebook either, but, I think Im prejudice against it, lol...

I use Skype but...Meh...wish I could get away from it (One less window)

I don't really like G+ and its yet another window

And I don't like facebook either....But only because of the people it attracts. Their messaging system though is awesome :-p And Frei Chat is even better IMO I wish we could get more Jedi to use GFC so that we can get further away from Facebook XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232404 by
^ The only change I'd like for chat is to make it mobile compatible. Something with a persistent history might also be good, I guess... so if you join a service late you can "scroll up". At work we use Hipchat. It's great, but I doubt it would suit the Temple's purposes.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232407 by
I agree with Steamboat, chat looks old and the auto scroll is annoying when you want to read up... it functions just fine otherwise and is very easy to use. An update would be nice sure, changing colors helps with that though.

As for more rooms, well yeah maybe if there were rank specific rooms but then again chat isn't too popular and there doesn't seem to be that much of a demand for seperate rooms.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #232408 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic New Chatroom?

Lightstrider wrote: ...but then again chat isn't too popular...

Do you think that would change if the chat were made more user-friendly?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
8 years 2 months ago #232410 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic New Chatroom?
We can have a better Chat when Ren implements one. That depends on him having the time and being willing to do it. There's nothing to vote on about that. We all want one. I miss the ShoutBox too.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, , Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232412 by
For me the chat log gets too long or something at my whole computer slows down, so I have to reload it fairly often. I don't know how I would ever do my own knighting ceremony. During Roz's I had to leave and return 3 times.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #232413 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:New Chatroom?
With regards to the suggestion about an integrated personal chat system I think I would probably still use Skype as it is away from totjo. I use Skype often as a barrier... A way to ensure conversation remains private. I have privacy concerns over existing chat, no-one on totjo can see my Skype conversations unless they are talking to me.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
8 years 2 months ago #232415 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic New Chatroom?
Having chat become more popular...

And most people are going to disagree with me or not like what I have to say, but I would not want chat to become popular or a place to "hang out."

Why?

Even though we are a community, we are not a social club. I believe that a "popular" chat would take away from the forums and people would hang out in there all day gossiping. I know, that sounds ridiculous. But, our old chat was far more popular and that is exactly what happened.

It was user friendly, fun, everyone went in there to hang out... and few things got discussed in the forums (compared to now) and a lot of, let's say "frivolous" activity went on in there.

I know, people will tell me, "we would never do that!" And I will tell them that is exactly what the old group said. And when asked about it several would deny it even when we had screen shots of it.

I am all for a more user friendly version of chat. Able to be used on cell phones. But I would be against many of the things people tend to want to make it more fun, popular, what ever.

I know... I'm just an old fuddy-duddy stick-in-the-mud. :P

Monastic Order of Knights

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi