New Chatroom?

More
8 years 2 months ago #232372 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic New Chatroom?
Just out of curiosity...

I have heard a few times before that the chat we use isn't good, or that we could get something better or what ever. What I am curious about is, what is the deficiency with the TotJO chat?

:)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #232374 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic New Chatroom?

Wescli Wardest wrote: what is the deficiency with the TotJO chat?

Other than the fact that it looks and functions like we stole it from 1995?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 2 months ago #232378 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic New Chatroom?

Wescli Wardest wrote: Just out of curiosity...

I have heard a few times before that the chat we use isn't good, or that we could get something better or what ever. What I am curious about is, what is the deficiency with the TotJO chat?

:)

I find it very valuable and worth my effort...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232379 by
Replied by on topic New Chatroom?

steamboat28 wrote:

Wescli Wardest wrote: what is the deficiency with the TotJO chat?

Other than the fact that it looks and functions like we stole it from 1995?

:laugh: I was thinking along the same lines :-p

The current Chatroom is.......A rotary phone compared to an Iphone (Or whatever new fangled grade cell phone is out there today) XD

Its not that it is a Deficiency its just that.....it could be 10x better and more interactive.

One of my biggest compaints with the current chat is A: Its in yet another window which I forget about alot and B: When you get 20 so odd members in that chat and you look away for just a moment...then try to scroll up to catch up with the topic....while others are still chatting....and getting bumped back down to the bottom every single time someone says something.....Grrrrrrrr

Anyways.... :whistle:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232380 by
I think for delivering live sermons our current chat room works really well. I don't really have a problem with the chat room. To me it's more a PM thing.

I think it would be really cool if the PM system functioned a bit more like Facebook's messenger system did where it opens up in the bottom corner of the screen and is more like instant messaging than emailing. It just makes it easier when you're having more of a conversation with someone. Right now you have to leave the forum and go to your inbox and then scroll all the way to the bottom every time.

I feel like we could do that and still have our current chat room for live sermons and general "Hey lets all talk" type things.

If that didn't happen I wouldn't complain, I do think things work the way they are, but that would be kind of cool if it could happen.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232381 by
Exactly. And that is what Frei Chat allows :) No need to get rid of what the Temple already has...But...For free? Why not give a look?

Again...Just Talking/Musing. :) Up to the Council to take it or leave it...I know they are busy so....whatever :)

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #232385 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic New Chatroom?

Trisskar wrote: When you get 20 so odd members in that chat and you look away for just a moment...then try to scroll up to catch up with the topic....while others are still chatting....and getting bumped back down to the bottom every single time someone says something.....Grrrrrrrr

Auto-scroll is the absolute best thing, until you need to scroll up. Then you invent new curse words for it.

Also, half the time the emoticons and bbcode are bugged; sometimes they'll work if you type them in, and the rest you have to click the button. And it's darn near impossible for me to use on my phone, because I have a sensitive screen and fingers much broader than the buttons. The sound suite is annoying as heck and reminds me of some old-school AOL chatrooms circa 1997, and there's no volume whatsoever. It's either "Soviet sub in US waters" or "Hope you didn't like your eardrums!" The PM function is really clunky, especially since (as stated above) most of the time it only works if you click things rather than typing it in. Private rooms are very limited in their usability and scope. The available themes are all eye-searing given the nature of users' predilection for choosing fun colors. Connectivity is horrid and timeouts take forever. There's no option for tagging anyone (like, @steamboat28 to get my attention with a sound cue or a brighter color or a bold font or anything), which would really ease the way chat works when there are more than 8 people in it actively talking at once.

There are a ton of things that could be better about it. Honestly, if we upgraded to something with modern chatroom capabilities and moved away from something that I haven't seen used since my pre-Myspace ICQ days, I'd probably use it a heck of a lot more often.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232387 by
Amen.

More
8 years 2 months ago #232397 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic New Chatroom?

you look away for just a moment...then try to scroll up to catch up with the topic....while others are still chatting....and getting bumped back down to the bottom every single time someone says something.....Grrrrrrrr

That is also a complaint I have had with it. Very annoying when you're trying to copy things for records as well. Like the Ceremonies.

A lot of the interactive functions that some of the chats have tend to slow things down when the chat is full. They're fun, but I don't feel they are necessary. Not saying we would never get something with them, but if we did we might disable them as a possibility... just depending on how things went. :unsure:

I would like a strong chat platform that was maybe a little more customizable, but more importantly, I would be able to go back through a record and see what was happening.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232398 by
Honestly, I dislike the chat room because it is clunky and "old" feeling. I don't have too much issue with the features. OHhh but rooms would be nice!!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi