New Chatroom?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232348 by
New Chatroom? was created by
Breaking this off from "Think of this online place like a Service in...." It was meant as a random thought but is also a bit of a derail so....I'll just open it up here in the Miscellaneous forums

This isn't a "Formal Request" or anything just...."Oh what about/what if...?"

Jamie Stick wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Jestor wrote: Apprentices, Knights, Masters (though never used), Clergy and Council have our areas for chatting without the extra input of the masses on topics... Every 'level' should have a 'forum'

You know....Another Option would be to get a better Chatroom. One that allows members to make different "Rooms" Just a side "Ah ha!" thought that came up reading your post. GFC and JJ uses Freichat which so far seems to work and it's like facebook which allows one on one chats or group chats....It might actually help encourage more private messaging over forum bickering......Just a thought....sorry for rambling....

You can do that in our current chat program. I've used that feature before delivering a sermon via live service so I could talk with specific people about the service (usually whoever is going to start the service and whoever is going to lead the congregation in The Creed at the end). Basically you can create a room under your name and invite people to join it. I think you can even rename it if you want. I'd be happy to show you how.

But maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

Yea....You did but you didn't? I'll start a new thread...don't want to detract ^_^

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #232349 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic New Chatroom?
Slack is a pretty popular alternative, and is available across all platforms...
https://slack.com/?story=video&v=2

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232350 by
Replied by on topic New Chatroom?
Part of what you mentioned is some of what I meant Jamie, yes ^_^ I did not realize members could make more rooms in the current chat.

However....

The chat is very isolated and the PM messaging system is so very basic. Painfully so XD haha It's a gripe i have had with Kuena for...ages. For being so top notch its soooooo lacking, but then i am spoiled with other systems.

There is however a Plugin called "Freichat." And you can get the basic version for free.

It is just like facebook. As in....You can message and chat with your friends and online members in the bottom right corner of your browser while doing your regular forum activities. It makes it so much easier to communicate and I believe it also works well with phones. (Never actually tried) It also has cute smilie icons and such to help illustrate your mood and feelings.

I feel this would help alot with encouraging more private conversations between members because it is fun, innovative, and not "Separate" from the normal activities of the forum.

I was trying to get a member on to GFC to take a Screen Shot buuuut it is still too early. I will take a screen shot later ^_^

In addition you get the regular group chat room similar to the one we have here, but you can make multiple rooms, change it's names and privacy settings.

Just a thought as I said :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #232353 by Zenchi
So it works like a shout box? At the time the site originally went up apparently it was not compatible with shout box add ons, would be nice if that Is no longer the case. I miss the shout box...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232355 by

Zenchi wrote: So it works like a shout box? At the time the site originally went up apparently it was not compatible with shout box add ons, would be nice if that Is no longer the case. I miss the shout box...

Yes....And it should work. I mean....TOTJO uses the same Joomla patforms my community does and it works quite nicely. (well not this moment, my server has been going through some updates which requires some synching. Fixing soon!)

But yes. :) Its nice, streamline, it even "Poofs" when you close it XD haha <--Inner Fox Squee

The Group Chatrooms also overlay just like the shoutbox. So you can be in group chats with your top left corner...and still browse your forums.

More
8 years 2 months ago #232357 by Zenchi
You hear that Ren? Where's my shout box? :evil:

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232359 by
Like I said...I am not trying to make demands and such....It was just a "Ooo this might be nice..." random thought.

I don't even know if it really will work here. In theory it should? Maybe Ren has already tried it....I dunno.

I just think the more innovative and fun and inviting the Private & Group Messaging system is....the more people might use it. :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #232360 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:New Chatroom?
The shoutbox was fun but it was also a troll magnet and needed constant policing... The 'wall' kind of does the same job but better, I feel... :)

Ref chat, on the one hand I'm inclined to say 'but we all use Skype to talk to each other anyway', but I know that's not entirely true. Many of us do, but Skype isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I guess the Facebook-style chat-messenger thing would avoid the whole tedious fandango of asking people if they have Skype and what their contact details are...

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232362 by
Replied by on topic Re:New Chatroom?

V-Tog wrote: The shoutbox was fun but it was also a troll magnet and needed constant policing... The 'wall' kind of does the same job but better, I feel... :)

Ref chat, on the one hand I'm inclined to say 'but we all use Skype to talk to each other anyway', but I know that's not entirely true. Many of us do, but Skype isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I guess the Facebook-style chat-messenger thing would avoid the whole tedious fandango of asking people if they have Skype and what their contact details are...

*nods* Skype is Off Site....a Seperate Program....another window.....

At least for me....more windows mean more frustration and thus i am less likely to use it XD haha But that's what I get for being a web manager and a story writer......I can't even begin to tell you how many windows I Have open.

With FreiChat....I could be chatting with you right now WHILE I am responding to this thread all on the same window and same tab.

I find the more people have to open up links and windows....the less likely they are to use them.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #232363 by
Oh and with the Shout Box Trolling....Harder to do with Frei chat because you can manage your contact list. Just like Facebook.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi