Developing tk/pk

More
7 years 7 months ago #256330 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Developing tk/pk

RyuJin wrote: Humans are the only species that seeks to quantify it's abilities...

I take it you never heard of pack animals and how they have hirarchies based on prestige and skill, have you?

As for the articles, what should ring all of the alarm bells is how in the first it names one of the requirements to learn TK/PK is to believe in it. I don't know how it can get to sound any more fake than that. Name one class that requires you to believe you can learn something before you have any indication that anybody could.
There are of course other things in it like the nonsensical explanations of how it is supposed to work. Magnetic fields are a property of mass. To move them around is equivalent with moving that which generates them around. Humans do not generate a magnetic field that is distinguishable from something even as weak as the Earth's (that's why a compass doesn't point towards the user but is actually useful). One could shrug off one occurrence of "creating energy" as bad phrasing, but of course the article mentions that multiple times so either they don't mean energy but rather use a pretty word to sound credible without any explanation as to what they mean or they openly admit that their ideas defy all of the physics that is necessary for the computers where the article is stored to even exist.
Anyway, I wouldn't call any of this findings or research results or discoveries. I'd call this claims. Claims of a world of pure imagination (too soon?) and you can have it for only the small price of dedicating countless hours of your life to them, making yourself believe in them short of any evidence and, of course, checking out the website of the world-renowned (oh, no, wait, that was Uri Geller, the single most discredited psychig fraud in history "respected" professional psychic Ellie Crystal...
Need I go on?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #256335 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Re:Developing tk/pk
A class that requires belief? How about hypnosis. It is to the best of my knowledge impossible to hypnotize a person without the person believing they can be and wishing it to happen. Also Gistron is is possible for you to ever word things without sounding condescending? Other people manage to be polite and engage in disagreement without being so rude why is it you have trouble with such things? It's not hard at all and changes nothing about your message. Pro tip: silence is better then rudeness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256337 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Developing tk/pk
A couple of articles with interesting findings/claims on Psi...

http://www.imagesco.com/articles/psi/developing-your-esp-psi-abilities.html

https://weilerpsiblog.wordpress.com/evidence-for-psi/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cassandra-vieten/esp-evidence_b_795366.html

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Zenchi.

More
7 years 7 months ago #256349 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re:Developing tk/pk

MadHatter wrote: A class that requires belief? How about hypnosis. It is to the best of my knowledge impossible to hypnotize a person without the person believing they can be and wishing it to happen.

Well, to the best of mine, the trance state induced by hypnosis is an actual state a brain can actually be in and one of the primary ways to achieve it is by overloading said brain with impulses. That is not to say you need high voltages (in fact, please, do never use capacitors on people unless you are a trained paramedic) but rather there is a very limited number of discrete information flows our brains can process at any one given time and it is rather easy to bring in more than that in quick enough succession. Genuine hypnosis does not depend on either the hypnotist or the patient believing that it can and neither take a class where belief is a prerequisite for success. In fact, it works better if the patient is not ready for it or ignorant of how it works. Hypnosis has application, too, unlike telekinesis. Indeed, I'd be not surprised at all if inducing a state of hypnosis would be easier with some sort of machine or chemical input than through a professional hypnotist, given as the latter has most of the same limitations to their brain as the patient would. But hypnosis is, at the end of the day, a skill one can learn. Psychokinesis, on the other hand, is something you just believe in, or fail.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
7 years 7 months ago #256352 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Developing tk/pk

Gisteron wrote: As for the articles, what should ring all of the alarm bells is how in the first it names one of the requirements to learn TK/PK is to believe in it. I don't know how it can get to sound any more fake than that. Name one class that requires you to believe you can learn something before you have any indication that anybody could.

Despite the fact that I believe in some sort of paranormal phenomena (due to experience), that does not automatically make all things categorized as paranormal automatically true. And I think it is important, both as a reality check and as a warning to those who might be fooled out of their money, that even if paranormal phenomena is real, it is unlikely someone has developed a system to develop and control these abilities in a predictable fashion, otherwise this would be outside the realm of esoterism and part of mainstream science.

Gisteron wrote: Anyway, I wouldn't call any of this findings or research results or discoveries. I'd call this claims. Claims of a world of pure imagination (too soon?) and you can have it for only the small price of dedicating countless hours of your life to them...

I think it all comes down to this issue. Why spend so much time and energy trying to push yourself to do something that is unproven with a methodology that is unproven... what is the benefit? I can understand people who genuinely are pursuing this as science - studying it in a lab and following empirical evidence to reach a better understanding of these things. But for the common person? I think their energy is better invested elsewhere. Even in religious texts these "powers" are described as distractions from the Ultimate Truth, a diversion that is a side effect of higher consciousness, rather than an end in itself.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256353 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Re:Developing tk/pk

Gisteron wrote: Psychokinesis, on the other hand, is something you just believe in, or fail.

Im not picking sides, I find the subject to be interesting, but have yet to develop strong opinions regarding one side it the other of the argument centering around Psi and similar abilities.

With that said, there are in fact many things people do, and do successfully, because they "believe" they can. The gnostic state, or what Anton LaVey described as the "intellectual decompression chamber" is a process utilizing disbelief centering one mentality, and belief for another. It is a key component in what many call magic.

Granted there are machines that can replicate the effected of hypnosis, the fact that thousands of individuals are able to induce alternative mental states like those found in Yoruba Voodoo and can go through extreme amounts of pain with no sign of discomfort, or the Tibetan Buddhist monks who are able to meditate in extreme low temperatures while maintaining their core body temperature, is evidence of what belief can do.

The groups of people mentioned do btw, know fully well beforehand that they are about to willfully enter an alternative mental state. Some call it hypnosis, meditation, others call it possession, they're aware if it regardless, and do it successfully because they believe they can...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256358 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Developing tk/pk

Genuine hypnosis does not depend on either the hypnotist or the patient believing that it can and neither take a class where belief is a prerequisite for success. In fact, it works better if the patient is not ready for it or ignorant of how it works.

Sorry for the derail!

]As one who has been hypnotized, researched it, and feeling that I understand it, I disagree with your stance here... :)

I was self-hypnotizing since I was very young, only I didnt know that it was what I was doing...

I HAVE looked into it, and feel I do understand it... Im not a licensed practitioner, Ive thought about it, but, no time as of yet, lol...

You HAVE to be willing (believing of it), and if you understand the goal/point of it, then it is resoundingly easier...

Articles Ive read say the more intelligent one is, the easier to hypnotize... It is because it is understood, and accepted... :)

To those who dont understand it, it is harder, and the 'Mesmer' Effect (being mesmerized) is thought to be fact, and is something that practitioners fight to get past...

I tried to help my son self hypnotize, and he ended up giggling, and it went nowhere, lol...

I do iself hypnotize, instead of meditate, and I am almost always in a state of hypnosis/meditation, lol... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256362 by
Replied by on topic Developing tk/pk

RyuJin wrote: Humans are the only species that seeks to quantify it's abilities...animals can sense when something is going to happen, they can recognize when something is sick/contaminated, and they do this with no interest in knowing/understanding why or how...humans simply found a way to label things in a manner that inflates their ego and sense of superiority....

Yes but those are known and quantifiable abilities based on heightened natural senses the animal posses. Animals have better ability to see, hear and smell using photons entering the eye or molecules and vibrational sound waves transported through the medium of air entering the nose or ear respectively. These processes allow them to better detect changes in their environment or anothers physiology through these understandable mechanisms that can be reproduced easily. There is nothing ultra-natural in any of those abilities.

What we are talking about when we discuss PK though, are emergent manifest abilities that allow the possessor to directly manipulate the laws of physics. Something that has never been accurately documented or reliably reproduced in any species at any time since man began recording history. I just feel that if these things did exist we would not have to strain and struggle and try so hard to produce them. I see people on u-tube claiming to have spent months and months in training only to be able to move the slightest bit of paper suspended on a sharp toothpick. That seems totally impracticable to me. Why so much effort for so little gain? I would think that if these abilities are something manifest in nature that it would come much easier, not only to humans but to many other species as well, through the natural process of evolution. In effect if it were real, we would see it everywhere and it would be deployed as a practical application!

It seems these "assertions" that are not backed up by any evidence nor any reliable theories as to how they could be real boil down to little more than an exercise in ego inflation. I don't say that to be derogatory towards anyone that pursues this. Its not my place to judge anyone's pursuits. But simply what I mean by this is what I was referring to in my original post. That man seems to have this strange need to set himself apart from nature/the universe and even each other and proclaim that they are unique in the universe; that we alone have some special knowledge or special ability that no other creature in existence has, when there is really no evidence to support that. This extends beyond just things like PK but also things like belief in something like a sentient, vengeful, judging deity. I find it an attempt to separate ones self from the very thing that we claim to be the greatest part of - the Force/nature itself. If we could truly comprehend what that means we wouldn't need to be any more special than that! B) :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256364 by
Some people are just more sensitive than others.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256376 by

Rickie wrote: Some people are just more sensitive than others.

Its ok, does somebody need a hug? :silly:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi