Which is the best martial art(s) for a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 3 months ago #21539 by
I had not done any martial arts since I was a kid. For that reason I decided to start with Tai Chi. It's lower impact and less stress on the body while I start getting back into better shape. I figure Tai Chi will be a good starting point for whatever more agressive form I might one day choose to pursue.

Still, the slow methodical movements did find a way to point out may muscles that have not been used in a while...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 3 months ago #21541 by
Ahhh the probkematic instructor - I had one of these years ago at judo - when i was about 14 I used to do judo - i was the best at landing/falling apparently so iu ended up becoming the demonstration guinea pig - that ended judo for me - sounds pathetic now - but when your 14 ansd not big for your age and your being thrown about by a 30+ 6'4\" 3rd dan black belt like a ragdoll - the novelty soo n wears thin

Martial Arts are very much a personal thing - as stupid as this sounds, even your body type, weight, height, speed etc will have a bearing on what martial arts feel comfortable to you

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #22271 by
Well let's see here, I was trained in Shaolin Kung Fu, Aikido, Iaido, Kendo, Kyushu, Krav Maga, Pankration, Tai Chi Chuan, Dim Mak, Military CQB, and Paramilitary tactics. So I guess my question would be, what does the intent of the Jedi mean to you?

If it were me asking this question, well I would suspect a specialized operative capable of hostage extraction and guerrilla warfare. The martial arts you pick should be the one that serves the purpose you wish to fulfill. So for me, I am probably for basic defense. As for an all around defensive martial arts that gets the job done, well I would have to say no martial arts is better than any other. Only the practitioner can demonstrate superior skill.

Now for a purely offensive martial arts...I would have to say a .50 caliber assault rifle will probably do the trick...or a grenade.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 2 months ago #22275 by
Well I would agree with everyone's whatever fit's you.
Boxing has it's charms and I did that in high school.

As for me- I like \"Lazy Gorilla\" style for me. It's where a big hairy guy choses instead to watch a kung foo movie instead of going to the gym like he should. lol

Really though fencing is what I'd like to learn- I'm hoping to take a class in it this summer. seems very \"Jedi-ish\"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23277 by
As a Tae Kwon Do instructor and practitioner I would say that you all are right find what is good for you and your lifestyle. If there was one true right martial art we wouldn’t have so many of them.

I have learnt though that if you do the martial arts properly all styles will blend and meet at a single point of commonality. kung-fu is considered flowing and soft, however if you look closely the \"pop at the end of a move as to focus their energy to inflict the most damage. as for T.K.D. it is considered more ridged and \"hard\" however the focus is to be loose and flowing through out the movement and then \"pop\" the move nearing the end of the move. I have trained a lot of different styles, at seminars and have seen that after doing the moves over and over, I would sit back and think that I am back at my dojang doing my normal routine.

I’m going to end with this thought: no matter what martial art you choose whenever possible take the chance to study, at seminars or special events, other styles this will make you a better martial artist and a better instructor some day.

Tae Kwon Do is the best it ROCKS!!!!! ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23298 by
so as i was searching for so ideas on Jedi Martial arts skills i came across this one that has the saber techniques..
http://www.freewebs.com/lightsaber_combat/

so check it out it seemed kool...!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23348 by
i havent ben arouned for some time. becos of the dojo. I ame a Martal arts techer and dojo hed.

I will say the same thing hear that i tell aneywon how coms in or phones about whot we do.

if you are unshore of whot to studey go tray difrent arts. difrent schools. difrent techers. dow some reding about the difrent arts fined out about theam.
thear will always be simularetys and difrentes.
Even among the same art and in the same stile or that sed art thear will be difrenteses depending on the techer the students. Everay dojo no mater whot the styell has its own persnalety. some are worm, open, frendley some are coled, closed, and at first glance may aper vearey full of ego. but mabey the truth behined the mater may be reverced perhaps the frendley school is the 1 full of ego and the coled school may just be vearey tradishnaill and in fact a vearey good school. you never now untill you go look and tock to the techer and most inportent tock to the students away frome the techer. get thear openon are theay hapey or is thear problbems. are the problbems serious or just the everay day ordanrey stuf. tack a few classis. dos the school and techer fit you dow you fit the school.

thear is alout to think on but it realey coms down to 1 thing dow you have funn do you ingoy it thear. becos if you donot thean way be thear.

dow whot fits you it is your jerney and onley you can deside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23364 by
I have ben strugeling with a problbem with may class. most are scared to dow hi of flying brack falls. i have trayed everaything. brout techers from away to give workshops on faling. litreley holding thear hands as theay pratios. being short with theam on perpos but nothing works theay are still scared of it.

brake falls are a vearey inportent part of Aikido problbey even more so then lerning how to throw somwon. theay alow somwon how nows hot to fall proprley tack spatculear falls it teckneaks that if theay dident woued destroy thear wrist elbow or sholder or aney combo nachion. and stand back up and go at thear partnear agen.
theay alow senear students to pratios and throy at tope strangth with out holding back and have no fear that theay are gowing to hert thear partnear's. now when theays movments are dun to somwon how has no idea as to how to fall it is completey devestating to thear bodey of theay dont now how to jump and at the right time thear gows a joing disolacated pop.

may students wont to dow theays big inpresif fancey loking throwes but theay dont now how to safley fall out of theam so i wont let theam.

i founed a video i ame quite excited over yaaaaaa mabey it hase given me an idea an another step on teching theays falls yaaaaaa. have somwon lay flat on the grouned and fall over them. that way theay are vearey low to the grouned vearey little chance of geting hert. yshley we start of with the partner on thear hands and knees and fall over them that way but even that is to scarey for most. i like the laying down vershen yaaaaaaa whot a simpell idea. somtimes the simpelist things can be the hardest ti think of. i will tray this next class with them and see how it gows. wish me and them luck and keep your fingers crosted. if this dosent work i simpley dont now whot to dow with may begners lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMpBpM38TMg&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23367 by
more vearey good instruction i ame gowing to make shore may students see it. it always helps to have somwon alts reederate whot you tell you students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogDN0ZghdQs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaicleoK4M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exXrHO1IzgE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL5Pgsy8lbU&feature=related

the us first testing requarments the canaden test is simulear a few difrent tecknecks but still the basicks. this is the techer that test me when i ame redey. verey good techer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MPwI4RmHeU&feature=related

ok anof of may silley videows i dont wont to bor aneywon lol som times sharing theays helps me figer out questions i have or that may students have asked. thankyou for being pashent with me.

if aney 1 hase aney tipes for me on geting students ovear the fear of falling please dont hesatate to let me now i will gladley tack aney hints or tricks i can get.

i lernt theays falles vearey yung befor i new how to be afrade of theam so i dont now whot it is like to be afred of it. i gess this is may newest chalinge. may students tech me more than i tech them =)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26351 by
im new here, but i would recommend kenjutsu, which is the art of using a sword. Although i do not know it, you can find many of some free tutorials on the internet.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi