Jediism & Martial Arts-practical application?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12752 by
You are right in everything, Lenny, that´s exactly my point of view. The psychical traing is good for everybody but the physical training is an absolute necessity for a quality Jedi training. And life.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12758 by
I have been training in Lightsaber combat forms for awhile, and the physical training is very important, also, if you do them correctly, in the right frame of mind, they are an amazing mental work out as well =)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12938 by
I agree with all of you. If you are a Jedi, you are also a martial artist. You may train in a dojo or dojang, or you may train at home.

Weapons is also a natural. You should always obey the law. So find out what is legal where you live. A wooden sword or cane in the hands of someone who knows how to use it is a very dangerous weapon.

I am a cop, so firearms are as much a part of my life as eating. For some, firearms are a very nasty subject. Regaurdless of how you feel about guns, all should be familiar on how they work. That way you can at least disable the weapon if you find one, or use it.

My 12 year old son has been working and saving his money and he has just purchased a very nice 2008 Martin MOAB compound bow. I've been told that we will be hunting this year. I like what my kids refer as \"OLD SCHOOL\" weapons. So I have ordered a Hoyt Gamegetter II recurve bow. I have also have a katana blade and I am making a handle for it. (Jedish)

I agree with many of you, choosing a martial art, or choosing a weapon is personal and should be done with great thought. It is also a very individual thing. Just like being a Jedi. Pick what works for you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13196 by
i have to agree with you Maruk, weather it be martial art, sword, projectile a jedi must be able to defend what is right regardles the situation.
this is very important because violence is only a last resort but you must be prepared.
i personaly feel that having non-wepon combat training is a must, your not always going to have a gun and it is very rare to find an area that dose not allow martial art training.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 weeks ago #13197 by
As alway my apprentice your right. The only problem is that without a physical temple we dont have a place to teach.If we get a Temple to train at the next step would be certified volunteers to teach us.

The goal is to save or gather money for a temple.There are number of ways to do this but we will need the help of more than just one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16821 by
i personally train in muay thai boxing for the last 2 years and i believe yes you should train. First off, i believing training is a personal thing, either to stay in shape or learning to just defend your self. If there is one thing you learn from martial arts it is never go looking for a fight. You train for the very last resort that the person you are in a argument with is ignorant enough that you need to fight because he can not see that fighting is pointless. I do not believe you should let some one walk all over you or make you believe something that you don't feel right. The core jediism beliefs teach this. I hope this helps!
May the force be with you

kev

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18171 by
I've trained and taught Isshinryu for over 25 yrs, I've studied martial arts for 30yrs.

Depending on the teacher and the techniques the two can meld nicely together. In my style we also do weapons which takes alot of discipline to learn.

As of late since we moved I dont have the space to teach. I still train and when I can I go home to train more under my sensei. But, I've done more meditating on moves and encounters in my mind to understand the physical more.

Thats the one thing I have learned bout the martial arts. Depending on how you look at it you can percieve it in different lights of ones being.

This also stems to defending. In order to defend you need to see the motion in advance before it ever happens. One thing I always did was to tell my students to picture the attacker, how they are standing, what moves do you see them doing first, how are you going to respond.

But, one thing I always stress with them was the most powerful weapon you have, your voice. Try to talk, calm down the assailant, find there weakness in there tone. Try to understand them. Dont use physical force unless you have no choice.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18184 by
very well said!

The voice can be used as an offensive weapon also. If you do have to fight make fun of the opponents short comings.This will cause them to loos control.I like to call this baiting. Its very dangerous and difficult to use but if done correctly you can make your opponent beat him self up,tire him self out,or if your lucky give up all together.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18299 by
My personal Opinion is that aggressive Martial Arts (f.e. MMA or UFC) are not appropriate for Jediism Way.

When you only concentrate to fight and being in a Battle, you will loose the complete Sight!

My Shidoshi, Soke Tanaka San (Soke from Ito Ryu Ninjutsu) has told me often that I have THINK first, FIGHT twice.

The old Philosophies from the Japanese or Chinese Masters can teach us to go strong the Way of a good Jedi.

Fighting, only Fighting is like a good Wine with Water. Water tastes good, Wine tastes good. But the Combination of them...

I finished my Studies in Nihon and 3 Month in Shanghai and Shaolin, too. So I have the direct Compare about Chinese and Japanese Martial Art Systems.

In their Cores they are very near to the other!

Inner Peace, a big inner Strengh (Chi or Ki) and 1 fantastic Moment to fight against an Enemy (Siu Nim Tao and Kime). These are the real Skills a Jedi must have!

The sporty Fighting is great to get Expieriences, a good Fitness Level or a Minor Training Skill.

But the real Way to fight isn`t it.

By the Way!

When a Jedi must Fight he (or she) don´t be proud!

It means the Intellect of the Jedi has failed!

But this is only the Meaning from a little German Jedi :S

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #18300 by
Nah your points are valid. How ever fighting is an aggressive act so to fight without aggression isn't really fighting.

its self defence or you trying to make a piont by not fighting.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi