Jediism & Martial Arts-practical application?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7535 by
nevertheless you shouldn't foget for which purpose a jedi ought to be skilled in martial arts ;) ... as we are supposed to be even intermediators or troubleshooters, i am convinced that the martial art form a jedi should be trained in, is one of the defensive ones ...

it is about using you opponents strength and agression to let him be defeated by himself, there is no needless action to be done in a jedis life ...

and as you should be able to use this technique in almost any situation ... therefore it would be the best, if these techniques could be used without any tools, like swords or ropes ...

so martial arts i prefer are Aikido and Jiu-Jiutsu (that's what I have recently started with) ...

and I'm really pleased with the club, 'cause it's not about being the best and winning all the different tournaments that are arranged ... but about learning the techniques in the speed you need to be able to use them properly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7627 by
all this talk about fighting!
i feel like we are leaving out the mind there are other ways of defense/fighting for example verbal fighting.Words can some times do allot more than fist.Fore the Kung Fu fans the words Kung Fu rough meaning is acquired skill. Not to mention all of our fast hitting heroes (even jedi) like yo say a few word before and after a fight as a final attempt to calm the adversary.

Yoda Much to learn, you have.

still id like to vote for a unique fighting style for us.Just like the one i use it should be an art that requires an attacking enemy in order to be able to use it affectively.That way we dont have rough jedi fighting each other.

I also can help feel that this should be left at a better time.More like when we have a temple to train at. o.O?
what do you guys thing?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7630 by
I feel that a temple for general purposes, martial arts included, is a necessary thing. I graduate from electrician school in five months and as I have no Earthly ties to any one place, if there is a temple building project somewhere I'd like to be a part of it. If not, then I'll start a temple project after I graduate from school.

But I digress...

As for a unique martial art, let evolution run its course. We jedi should somehow all get together one day,(temple idea) and it be our duty and privledge to share with each other philosophies, ideas for the future, martial skills, etc. and let whatever comes out of it come out of it. If a unique martial skill is born then so be it. If the Jedi tend to stick with an already existing martial art then so be it as well. If all Jedi choose a different art suited to each individual taste then so much the better.

This is my idea.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10458 by
this is a good discussion I just had to put it in the light again.
One other thing I was thing about (not only in fighting style but in all things) is that maybe we should be unique like the Jedi we've come to know.Not all the Jedi that we've seen use the same Martial arts or the same teaching method. Maybe we dont need one style of teaching but instead each master should pass on what they know. OR the student should seek out what he or she wishes to learn.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10762 by
hey, im new to this. what do i do ??

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10767 by
what do you mean.Im sure by now some one has helped you but are you asking what do you do for the Martial Arts part?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10788 by
http://youtube.com/user/hempev
This gentleman has put up some videos on martial arts, they don't go into everything you need to learn anything but they do get you started with some practise stuff and because of him i can handle sai's without hitting myself in the head or dropping them. I am glad i found these video's.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10800 by
I just ordered the Introductory DVD on Sport Sword from the company Guard UP! in Burlington MA. They run a sword school aimed all ages to train in the use of padded weapons in the classic fighting stiles (Western one- and Two-handed, Eastern, Japanese etc.) in a safe and fun environment. They dress up for the kids like wizards and Warriors and host summer camps.
They also offer an instructors program...
I'm going to look into this stuff, because I figure that is it works for enthusiasts of sword-and-sourcery LARPS, it can give a Jedi the basics of saberbeingship. I would be cool to offer a course for local youths from Jedi Knights, even if the kiddies think that the Jedi aspect is just part of the show,we would have an oppertunity to get kids healthy exercise, a productive hobbie not involving drugs and such, and teach them moral conduct and the conttol of violent impulses. I think it would be a wonderful oppertunity for Jedi to serve the greater community.
Assuming, of course, that the DVD doesn't suck...;)
MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10805 by
lol, i haven't been LARPing and would love to go some time, don't know where they hold them down here though. Aside from that, most renaissance group hold various weapon cometitions, i participated in one against a female Knight and got my butt handed to me, at the time i was very new and using two swords (which was adviced even though i hadn't learned to do it) against the person have a sword and shield. I think i would have done a little better if the let me go in with just sword, uch, still a little peeved over that one. Anyway, it does sound fun and maybe once we get more Temples up we could start offering after school and summer camp stuff (Anjil's idea, not mine). The sword training or 'lightsaber' training would be a good course to offer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10818 by
I'm definitely for weapons training, its just a sweet idea.I happened to be thumbing through I think it was Maxim magazine, and saw an article pertaining to the use of lightsaber duals for excercise. It offered a website and I think a physical address for this particular gym. Its in the latest issue, somewhere near the back of the magazine. At least I think was maxim, or blender, or something like that. I was thinking maybe, if we had a Jedi in the New York area (I think this where this place was) and are willing to take these classes, and retain this knowledge to pass it along to the rest of the Order as kind of a In-House trainer. Perhaps we already have possible trainers in our ranks.
I just think it would be a great idea to have such programs once we have a \"brick and mortor\" temple. Or also, we could schedule retreats to goto and exchange philosophies and training such as these, until such temples can be built.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi