Is being overweight and being a Jedi a good thing?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294264 by
Keep it up Sven! Be the Jedi you want to be!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294266 by
Sir,

Having skipped some of the banter, I just wanted to give you my personal take when it comes to the Jedi Path and being overweight. I started down the path of a Jedi before this temple was made, as part of a religious group in 2000 as part of the 7th Fleet USN, I was fit and thin... everything you imagine a sailor who runs and works out with marines looks like. Come 2001 November I was crippled in Afghanistan and now many years later I find myself at 410lbs. I realized back in February that I needed to lose weight and get into shape for my health and when it comes to being a Jedi who believes in the inner temple of the self, it seemed to be something responsible to do for my own health, let alone in any accordance with my beliefs.

Not to banter back and forth, I am truly disabled and only through the grace of the Force am I out of a wheel chair. So I have an 'excuse' to be as large as I am, however that excuse only goes so far and I find it breaking with my beliefs when it comes to walking the path of a Jedi. In my personal beliefs one should strive towards personal enrichment through honest effort and at times hardship, this includes working out. Our inner temple(mind) works in tandem with out physical self (outer temple). Being overweight and struggling with health issues greatly effects our inner temple and our overall capacity with how we manage life.

I do not think a Jedi has to be thin or that 'fit godlike' persona in the gym but we should strive for improving our conditions to the point where we maintain positive self image and positive health as much as can be reasonable. I have many things holding back my weight loss, but I am down 50lbs since February and my physical ability much improved by working out with and without a trainer (it's just too expensive for me to keep doing, I do it periodically so I learn what to do and how to do it safely given my injuries). Being overweight is sometimes part of who we are due to injury or something else outside of our control, but as soon as we are able we should strive to keep it under control as much as can be reasonable... in order to maintain a positive self.

I will likely never be under 200lbs ever again, but that does not mean I need to settle for what I am now.... especially as I choose to walk the Path of a Jedi and work on refining my temple.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294793 by
Had a thought about this. In the movies (if I can be permitted to dip my toes into the mythos ;) ) we see Anakin. He's, for lack of a better word, jacked. Like... #bodgoals jacked.

But there are other Jedi out there.

"Judge me by my size, do you?" -- Yoda.

Size does not a Jedi make, a Jedi is made by their actions.

I'd love to introduce you to a little known Jedi, but one of my faves. His name is Beldorion.

As you can see, he's a Hutt, and as with all Hutt, he's a lil on the huskier side. Only ever Hutt Jedi (legends now, but still). He isn't jacked, but still was an excellent Jedi. He was even one of the ~100 Jedi to survive Order 66. Yes, he did eventually turn to the Dark Side... but thats beyond the point. Until that time, he was an excellent Jedi that learned to recognize his ability rather than focus on his weaknesses.

Just a thought I had while doing some research. Long story. XD But my point is, size does not a Jedi make.

More
6 years 8 months ago #294794 by Eleven
Sulabri, That was a very good testimony and it blessed me to read it. I have a had draw backs I don't always keep to my diet but, I still have gotten up and went to the gym each morning. Is it hard? Yes, but I feel really amazing afterwards. I am focusing less on the numbers of my actual weight and focusing rather on how I feel as a person physically and spiritually. I believe also, that we should take care of our bodies physically as much as we do spiritually a balance in what we do. I don't know if I'll ever look like like a Greek God so to speak but, I am just happy watching what I eat, not so much colas, candy and replacing it with some veggies, fruits, nuts, good oils, lean meats, once in awhile when I am doing well treat myself. It's good.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294796 by
All that matters in this grand scheme of life is that you are doing what makes you feel good. If you are starting to exercise and workout to shed off the weight, then good for you man. As long as its what you want, then it is what is right. Jedi are accepted as they are, your physical appearance matters not. I'm pretty sure I can speak for most when I say that you have our support. May the Force be with you in the challenges you put forth.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302218 by
Couldn't we say it's the will of The Force that we take care of our earthly vessels? We see it in almost every spiritual philosophy that exists. Some go as far as dietary and hygiene laws. It's shouldn't be offensive that we at least talk about this.. it only seems right that we try to live more natural, holistic lifestyles.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302224 by Eleven
I agree with you Jaedon and it's very true. I've lost about 15 lbs. since this post and gained about 5 lbs of muscle. Organic foods, whole and raw are amazing and I love it. I am getting tips and tricks from Dr. Josh Axe a natural Dr. of medicine it's proven a better life to live just my opinion. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

More
6 years 6 months ago #302233 by Manu

Jaedon Adar-Barnaby wrote: Couldn't we say it's the will of The Force that we take care of our earthly vessels?

You could, but it doesn't make it true. :laugh:

I think this weight issue should be approached not from the point of view of what we ought to do, but what do we want to do. If someone wants to be obese and eat junk food all day, do it. But you don't get to complain when you get a heart attack at 40.

I applaud everyone here who is taking steps to improve their health. I'm in the same boat with you. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302244 by OB1Shinobi
People often think that being "spiritual" is a matter of what we believe (or merely say we believe) is true or "The Truth" about existence and the self and the universe: "im spiritual because i believe in Jesus" or "im spiritual because i believe in karma and dharma".
I say that being "Spiritual" is about the choices that we make: its our thinking processes, our goals and reactions, and our general behaviors. Its a cause and a result of our overall psychological state of being ("psyche" meaning "soul"). Is my spirit courageous? Petty? Petulant? Generous? Lazy? How does my Spirit handle adversity? Temptation? Impulse control? Life management?

A strong, healthy spirit will take care of its body. There are medical reasons for some people to be obese, fair enough, but when you know that youre engaging in behavior that is bad for you (when you acknowledge that the behavior isnt worht the consequences) and you continue to do it because you cant stop, thats not a sign of a robust spiritual health and strength.

When our psyches are healthy, we take fairly decent care of ourselves and make appropriate changes when we realize we are slipping into unhealthy habits.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Lykeios Little Raven,

More
6 years 6 months ago #302267 by Carlos.Martinez3

Sven One wrote: I hope this post doesn't offend anyone please I don't want that. But, I have often thought to myself... I am 312 lbs, my joints hurt, I get easily tired by work, gym and extra curricular activities like pushing my wife in her chair on walks, ect.

Our practices teach that a Jedi should have self control and that means in all manners of our lives. Eating, sleeping, drinking certain beverages, medication that is considered addictive (drugs) you plug it in right? I used to be in great shape, workout 2 times a day 2 hours a day when I was younger and wrestled I loved it dreamed of being the next WWF (WWE lol) champion. Unfortunately, I went out for wrestling school and found out it's alot of work, pain and peer pressure. It wasn't willing to give my whole heart to the sport being that I got ripped off by promoters, and just couldn't deal with being hurt all the time so I quit.

Well, I grew depressed my dreams lost and behind me. I begun to eat out of comfort. Drinking lots of energy drinks, soda, candy...sugar...sugar...sugar...Eating fast food close to every night on the way home from work. Buying foods from the deli after work to eat throughout the night...more soda, video games, I don't sometimes understand how I don't have diabetes yet. I went from being 169 lbs. muscles, great shape, ect. to 312 lbs. now overweight, depressed and frustrated.

I may have just answered my question but, I don't think a Jedi should be overweight but, then you could easily cycle in genes, thyroid issues, ect. I know as Jedi we all come in all shapes and Sizes and don't misunderstand me that I am somehow being "shallow" just because I think a jedi should be in shape. I know some of us simply just cannot workout, be active I know my wife wishes she could because she is in a wheel chair and a lot of exercises are out of the question. But, she isn't a Jedi.

I have been going and workout the last week or so and it's been hard and tiring but, I feel better physically in my mind and body when I do. I think working out is good for everyone, getting up and going places like the park, to the beach getting out in Nature is terrific thing and beautiful. I am not sure why I shared all this with you however and answering my own question.

My man! Answering your own question is what it's all about ! Some times it takes a bit of the ol ... think... now u found what to do?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi