Is being overweight and being a Jedi a good thing?

More
6 years 7 months ago #293494 by TheDude
I've known overweight people who are quite healthy. If your weight makes life more difficult, makes it harder to meditate, makes it harder to do things and go places with people -- in other words, if it gets in the way of your life -- then it is something you should consider fixing for your own sake. If it doesn't bother you, more power to you. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #293561 by
This isnt a question for others, but yourself.

The fact that you asked it at all, is telling, and you should listen to that.

Your body, aside from those who have extenuating circumstances(which is amazing in itself how many people will claim such) is something you do have direct control over.

You can change it, shape it, etc, and even those with certain circumstances can to a degree.

When questions like these are asked I ask myself, are you looking for an excuse, or consolation?

Then I look to the responses..

Do you feel being overweight is not a good thing?

For anyone?

Jedi are a strange lot in real life, because they will spend hours meditating, or reading, etc, but when it comes to the same type of discipline on the body, well, their training seems to seldom reflect the same type of discipline, and commitment.

So, I dont know that this is a question for others, much less a web forum.

Are you happy with where you are at weight wise?

If not, then do something about it.

"Friends" will say the friendly thing, and those with the same values, or lack of them, will say the same thing,.

What is it you want?

More
6 years 7 months ago #293918 by Eleven
Thank you all this has been beneficial to me. Vladucard, I apologize if my opening sounded insensitive and anyone that "you couldn't be a Jedi if your overweight" that wasn't my point. What I meant is that in certain cultures to be overweight is gluttony. As Jedi we seek balance and I feel like that also means in what eat. Vlad, you cannot help those things it sounds like and I am sincerely sorry if I upset you I wouldn't ever want that or anyone if I offended anyone. I guess perhaps for some what Yoda said, "Not this grude matter." Maybe as a Jedi that doesn't matter whether your overweight or not.

On, the other side I am have started a new diet today, went to the gym, took on a fitness trainer once a month (All I can afford atm). I haven't drank any soda, sugars, very few carbs if any. My trainer is putting me on the grapefruit diet atm for two weeks and he wants to see how I do with that. Eating lean chicken breast I make myself at home 3 oz, 5 oz of green veggies it's actually really good. Drinking about 8 oz or more water everyday and I am going on a 12 mile hike this weekend which I am excited for.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #293946 by
You didn't offend me at all! I was just chiming in my two cents on the matter, lol (don't worry, I'm not one of those "I'm easily offended cause I'm fat people").

It's good that you got a trainer, they are ridiculously expensive! While I went to the gym, they kept trying to get me to sign up with one and i kept telling them how I couldn't afford them. They gave me one free session to try it out, learned about what he had to say, and just added it to my routine.

Hopefully yours will help you in your case :)

More
6 years 7 months ago #293947 by Eleven
Oh whew...that's good. Yeah they're extremely expensive at first he wanted to charge me like 399.99 for a month of training I was like "Noooo...thank you." I told him my situation and I think he felt sorry for me and so he told me I get one free session with him each month and if I would pay 19.99 for one session a month then he'd just show me some good techniques and things to do on my spare time to get in shape.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #293949 by
wow, that's amazing! He must really care about people if he is willing to do that for you!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #293950 by
being a jedi is a way of life. one is not supposed to live a life of excess,to be mindful of one's health. however the current state of self is not the concern what is, is the mindset behind it, so it sounds like you are willing to learn and change to be in the present to be mindful of the things you put into your body. weight will only stop you from being a jedi but being a jedi in its's truest form will keep you from being overweight if you dedicate yourself to the cause in body and mind as a jedi should

More
6 years 7 months ago #293953 by Eleven
Yeah I was a little surprised Vlad for sure being that personal fitness instructors a lot of times that I've seen get paid commission from their clients and if they don't have any not good. He still gets a little out of me and I get a little out of him so in some cases we both win.

Yes, David I think you dug down into what I was trying to say originally.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #293958 by
Here's what it boils down to: master your impulses. If you can't restrain yourself from eating or being lazy, conquer it. I don't know (or care) about what makes you a jedi here based on the opinions of other people, because the only person that ultimately cares about/has a right to say anything about you is YOU.

You're clearly not happy with your body because you posted to gain others' approval. That's all I see in your long OP.

Start there.

Good luck.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #293965 by Eleven
Been awhile since I've seen you Snowy...I appreciate the response. But, sheesh you sure are blunt.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi