Is being overweight and being a Jedi a good thing?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294025 by

Sven One wrote: Been awhile since I've seen you Snowy...I appreciate the response. But, sheesh you sure are blunt.

It always surprises me when people say that. I don't know why, but it does.

If I did not care, I would not say anything. It so happens that I like you and care a great deal for your overall well being. I also care about not wasting your time reading volumes when a few short sentences will do; I care enough to tell it to you straight and not have you guess at my meaning.

So anyway, yeah. Blunt perhaps, but never cold or indifferent. Despite even wanting to hate you guys sometimes, I really do think you're good people and that you're trying (even if the method drives me bananas).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294049 by

Sven One wrote: My trainer is putting me on the grapefruit diet atm for two weeks and he wants to see how I do with that.

The first step to long term weight loss is to not get caught up in fad diets like this that actually do nothing for you and ultimately dont work. Sorry, but grapefruit doesn't burn fat. At most the water in grapefruit helps you feel full, and then you eat less. But if you're hoping that grapefruit will melt fat, you're going to be disappointed. Even if it worked, you would be likely to gain it all back, which is the case with any fad diet. If you want permanent weight loss results then stay away from any sort of diet at all, especially the fad ones. Instead focus on behaviour modification and slow but permanent diet improvement. It's much better to lose weight at a slow, steadier pace over time by focusing on a plan you can live with for life than "jumping through the fad hoop" over and over.

More
6 years 8 months ago #294055 by Alethea Thompson
Chiming in with Kyrin- Going on a 12 Mile hike is VERY dangerous in the condition you initially described. You really should be working on smaller goals. A two mile walk on a paved track might even be too much at first.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294092 by

Khaos wrote: This isnt a question for others, but yourself.

The fact that you asked it at all, is telling, and you should listen to that.

Your body, aside from those who have extenuating circumstances(which is amazing in itself how many people will claim such) is something you do have direct control over.

You can change it, shape it, etc, and even those with certain circumstances can to a degree.

When questions like these are asked I ask myself, are you looking for an excuse, or consolation?

Then I look to the responses..

Do you feel being overweight is not a good thing?

For anyone?

Jedi are a strange lot in real life, because they will spend hours meditating, or reading, etc, but when it comes to the same type of discipline on the body, well, their training seems to seldom reflect the same type of discipline, and commitment.

So, I dont know that this is a question for others, much less a web forum.

Are you happy with where you are at weight wise?

If not, then do something about it.

"Friends" will say the friendly thing, and those with the same values, or lack of them, will say the same thing,.

What is it you want?

I wish i could say I was on the sit on my butt and call myself a jedi bandwagan. If i was I would save about 4 hours a day on average from workouts, and taekwondo classes. I would also bet that lets then 10% of the people who say they meditate for a hour a day or actually doing it. After all this is the internet and people can say what the want.

Anyone is free to call me out for my pt sessions but anyone who has seen me from one gathering to the next can certainly see a huge differance. As well as the people who watch my videos on fb can see the bulkiness showing.

More
6 years 8 months ago #294113 by JamesSand

I wish i could say I was on the sit on my butt and call myself a jedi bandwagan. If i was I would save about 4 hours a day on average from workouts, and taekwondo classes. I would also bet that lets then 10% of the people who say they meditate for a hour a day or actually doing it. After all this is the internet and people can say what the want.

Anyone is free to call me out for my pt sessions but anyone who has seen me from one gathering to the next can certainly see a huge differance. As well as the people who watch my videos on fb can see the bulkiness showing.

I turned this message upside down, looked at the back, and rifled through the envelope, and I still couldn't find a point.

Did you forget to put one in?

(It's alright mate, I often find myself agreeing with some of the things you bring up, I just don't want your occasionally good message to be lost in the noise from your cheer squad)

(Yes, I'll get a slap on the wrist for discussing people not ideas. Knighthood gets ever further away for me)

Sven, I do have some thoughts on your situation, I'd like to raise my ideas in another post after coffee :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven,

More
6 years 8 months ago #294118 by Adder
My opinion about the condition of being overweight in regards to my Jedi path, hmmm, it would be presumptious of me to judge anyone for their conditions and limitations but my own thoughts as they apply to my path, sure.
I do think it accumulates for want of a better word toxin's, which reduces my awareness and control of my lifestyle and meditations, as I don't want something buffering self harm and I really don't want to carry it around to leach or be released during stress. For me that is really important as it disrupts a large part of my Jedi focus. Obviously there is the cardiac issue, and diabetes issue (my cat got type 2 and I was able to fix her back to good health), immobility issues, and stats to indicate shorter life expectancy etc. All these things then fly in the face of my efforts to connect to the Force, work better, be happier and love long time :silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Eleven

More
6 years 8 months ago #294120 by MadHatter
So being overweight and working on weight loss myself I would be two faced if I judged anyone for it. But what I can say is that as a Jedi we should be mastering and bettering ourselves in all areas of our life including the physical. This means being as fit as whatever our medical condition might allow and eating sensibly with an eye towards our health. Will we ever be perfect? Nope. But it is the consistent aiming towards the lofty goals we set that matters most. Sometimes the target is just something to aim for even if we might never hit the bullseye. So basically do your best and do it in a manner that does not hurt you but can bring lasting improvements

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Eleven, Adder

More
6 years 8 months ago #294124 by JamesSand
Ob1 hasn't been around much, so I'll try to sum up my thoughts in a way he'd like ;)

"Jediism isn't about winning every match, it is about putting time on the mat"

Whether you are overweight or can do 100 one handed clap pushups is really irrelevant to your Path - It's that you follow the principles and do what you have to do.

You've have identified something you want to change - now apply skill and discipline (or precision and force, I love my Avatar) to the issue ;)

Here's some Doctrine -

Wisdom is the sound application of accrued knowledge and experience through patient, good judgment. Knowledge can be acquired by focusing on the task at hand. Focus is the art of pruning the irrelevant and pouring the best of your mind into what you are doing.

I think the 7 Habits put it as "Learn, Commit, Do"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Eleven

More
6 years 8 months ago #294153 by Eleven
Thank you all these have all being helpful advice and thoughts and insights. Honestly, I got light headed this afternoon from probably lack of calories because the diet is so strict in what you can eat that I ended up getting a half sub at subway after the gym despite my workout coach was disappointed. I told him, "Sheesh man, I am here to lose weight not kill myself over it."

He told me he was sorry and that maybe this "diet" wasn't the right one for me and that next time we got together he would set up more meal plans for me. He told me to do light workouts every other day until I could go everyday except one day where it was comfortable and my body had adjusted to it. As far as the hike he suggested that I didn't do it because he thought that was really a bad idea especially that I just starting working out. So I told my friends that I wasn't going due to health reasons. But, I have been talking short walks through the park each day aside from my working out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #294161 by

JamesSand wrote:

I turned this message upside down, looked at the back, and rifled through the envelope, and I still couldn't find a point.

Did you forget to put one in?

(It's alright mate, I often find myself agreeing with some of the things you bring up, I just don't want your occasionally good message to be lost in the noise from your cheer squad)

(Yes, I'll get a slap on the wrist for discussing people not ideas. Knighthood gets ever further away for me)

Sven, I do have some thoughts on your situation, I'd like to raise my ideas in another post after coffee :)

Perhaps you should work on your comprehension skills. Sorry i can not write it in crayon for you. Perhaps next time.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi