Addiction Check-In Thread

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #202677 by
Replied by on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
Okay, I'm tapering myself off of a "GI cocktail" mixture that I had been prescribed a long time ago for my gastrointestinal issues. I never it had phenobarbital in it for IBS (which was actually the least of my complaints), and so am going through a very difficult period of barbituate withdrawal, and would just like to appeal for healing support, prayer, whatever it is each of you do in order to help me weather this difficult storm. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #203813 by
I am once again quitting soda and pretty much anything caffeinated.

I did cold turkey once and that worked but was a major stress on me mentally and physically. A year later when I "fell off the wagon" I tried to ween myself off to reduce the effects of withdrawal but I had no plan. If you fail to plan you plan to fail. This time I have a six week plan to slowly ween myself off.

2 weeks of only getting soda/caffeine Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and one weekend day.
2 weeks of only getting soda/caffeine Tuesday, Thursday, and one weekend day.
2 weeks of only getting soda/caffeine Wednesday and one weekend day.

Then I should be good. I might do a week of just one weekend day. We'll see how it goes. But now I have a plan and schedule.

I will be free of chemical dependence!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206689 by
I am now to the one day a week time in my above plan. I am finally feeling the effects of withdrawal. A persistent headache, fatigue, and enough irritability to take on an alligator if it looked at me wrong. To make it worse I know that I can make it all better by just walking down that hall and getting a gloriously green Mt. Dew. I haven't had any since Thursday and I'm not scheduled to have another until Wednesday. I'm also craving sugary things like I never have before. Being surrounded by Halloween candy isn't making that easy. I can be strong though. I will make it.

I'm being overly dramatic, I know, but at times it feels like I'm trying to beat a heroin addiction instead of just caffeine. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #207120 by
I suppose this can be metaphorically seen as an addiction. I've been struggling with an eating disorder for the past 5-ish years, which has nearly put me into the hospital. Purging, restriction, and excessive exercise were all parts, and it seemed like if I pruned down one aspect, the other two would just get stronger. I'm finally getting it under control, but it's difficult to tell if I'm eating healthy or starving myself, or if I'm exercising enough vs. exercising too much.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307373 by
Hi. It's been a very long time (two years), since I've been a part of the Temple in any meaningful way. Back then I was journaling often and even wrote a couple of sermons (under my previous name CryojenX), but things started taking a turn south with my depression and anxiety, and I sort of fell away into a lot of bad habits and off the path. At the time I was depended on doctor prescribed diazepam, and had been for years, well two years later I still am; that's going to change.

I realize that a lot of my health problems are due to migraines, fibromyalgia, and plain old deconditioning. But I also recognize the benzo is poisoning me, and I just began my taper this morning. The withdrawal effects will be horribly unpleasant, so I'll need friends and support now more than ever. An absolute best case scenario has me off of the stuff in no less than nine and a half months; even after that is done there will still most likely be protracted withdrawals symptoms afterward as it takes time for my neurons to heal - that only happens once completely clean.

So I'll probably be going through very rough time for a while, but I could not think of a better community of people to share it with, all I ask is a little patience and understanding. Force bless you all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307376 by
Welcome back, hope you stay around!

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #307382 by Lykeios Little Raven
Fell off “the wagon” last year and had to start over again. Been clean for over a year now though, so I’m happy with how I’m doing now.

Don’t smoke crack, kids. That stuff takes over before you realize it.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307463 by
As I'm connecting with community and discussing the topic of benzo tapering, I'm seeing that it's taking some individuals as long as two years to finish their taper. I suppose in one way this shouldn't come as a surprise, as our bodies and circumstances are all different, but at the same time, it kind of makes me wonder if the Ashton Manual could use an update. I'm not sure if the tapering schedules there are necessarily realistic; of course I'll take it as best I can, but I have to admit to a certain amount of trepidation about the idea that this experience could last for that long.

The only way I'm going to get through this is taking it one day at a time, and not focusing on the overall time-table, lest I become disheartened about the whole endeavor. :unsure:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307464 by
I wish you the best of luck, and a speedy recovery! I kicked benzos cold turkey and it felt like I was dying. Fight!

May the force give you strength!

-Jesse

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #307474 by

MrCharple wrote: I wish you the best of luck, and a speedy recovery! I kicked benzos cold turkey and it felt like I was dying. Fight!

May the force give you strength!

-Jesse

Ouch! My sympathies; if you survived cold-turkey, then surely I can bear a slow taper. Thanks for the inspiration.

Force guide thee.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi