Addiction Check-In Thread

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201331 by
Replied by on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
OK, I don't know if this really counts or not, but I can't get away from social media. Honestly, all I need are a few basic sites like TotJO of GFC, but I have friends on facebook who simply won't keep in touch in any other manner. I want to be free of it, but I don't know how to get out, especially when I know there are other sites I have accounts with that are tied to my Facebook or Twitter or G+ account. It's overwhelming, stressful, and making me ill. :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201337 by

CryojenX wrote: OK, I don't know if this really counts or not, but I can't get away from social media. Honestly, all I need are a few basic sites like TotJO of GFC, but I have friends on facebook who simply won't keep in touch in any other manner. I want to be free of it, but I don't know how to get out, especially when I know there are other sites I have accounts with that are tied to my Facebook or Twitter or G+ account. It's overwhelming, stressful, and making me ill. :(

What are you at war with, the social media sites or the problems you encounter on those social media sites?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #201344 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Addiction Check-In Thread

CryojenX wrote: OK, I don't know if this really counts or not, but I can't get away from social media. Honestly, all I need are a few basic sites like TotJO of GFC, but I have friends on facebook who simply won't keep in touch in any other manner. I want to be free of it, but I don't know how to get out, especially when I know there are other sites I have accounts with that are tied to my Facebook or Twitter or G+ account. It's overwhelming, stressful, and making me ill. :(

The first question I'd ask is, are you really friends with these people? If yes, you could send them all messages saying 'I'm leaving Facebook, here is my email.' If they're really you're friends they'll understand and contact you away from Facebook. When I quit Facebook I soon found out who my friends were.

With the other accounts, I'd work out what they are and see if there's a way to untie them.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201345 by

Jamie Stick wrote: What are you at war with, the social media sites or the problems you encounter on those social media sites?

The sites themselves, so much of my time and energy ends up being wasted by inconsequential things rather than actually connecting with my friends.

Edan wrote: The first question I'd ask is, are you really friends with these people? If yes, you could send them all messages saying 'I'm leaving Facebook, here is my email.' If they're really you're friends they'll understand and contact you away from Facebook. When I quit Facebook I soon found out who my friends were.

With the other accounts, I'd work out what they are and see if there's a way to untie them.

That's the thing, aside from all the awesome Jedi I've added recently (most of whom I already know from here), I've left FB in the past and given friends email/IM yadda yadda etc. and it's been the same old story. I've gotten rid of as many of the connected accounts as I can, and will have to accept that some things on the internet are just effectively "forever", but Facebook is that last sticking point that's really getting to me.

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
8 years 6 months ago #201348 by Whyte Horse

What would Jesus do?

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201350 by

Whyte Horse wrote:

What would Jesus do?

I would not be the person to ask that question, LOL.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201387 by

CryojenX wrote: The sites themselves, so much of my time and energy ends up being wasted by inconsequential things rather than actually connecting with my friends.

That's the thing, aside from all the awesome Jedi I've added recently (most of whom I already know from here), I've left FB in the past and given friends email/IM yadda yadda etc. and it's been the same old story. I've gotten rid of as many of the connected accounts as I can, and will have to accept that some things on the internet are just effectively "forever", but Facebook is that last sticking point that's really getting to me.

I'm sorry if my questions seem basic or impudent, but what keeps you going to back to Facebook? You've identified that it's harmful to you at this juncture in your life, what about it keeps you from cutting it out of your life?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201389 by
I ask that same question every day when I order a pizza.

My mindfulness books have taught me a couple of things: 1. repeated addictive patterns are comforting. So, even when we don't want something, we go back to it because it reminds us of "home". "home" is eating a large pizza alone. "home" is scouring Reddit for the latest stupid comment. "home" can even be running marathons. 2. Addictions are chemical in that these comforting repeated actions are "guaranteed" sources of dopamine and other feel-good hormones.

Sometimes... it just being clearly bad for you isn't enough. Something else lies beneath the surface. Stepping outside the self through meditation gradually increases the emotional space between our minds and our choices. Eventually, we can make another choice without it being hormonally and emotionally charged. But, it takes a lot of work and a lot of dedication. And, it helps to speak to a professional and a spiritual counselor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201393 by

Connor L. wrote: I ask that same question every day when I order a pizza.

My mindfulness books have taught me a couple of things: 1. repeated addictive patterns are comforting. So, even when we don't want something, we go back to it because it reminds us of "home". "home" is eating a large pizza alone. "home" is scouring Reddit for the latest stupid comment. "home" can even be running marathons. 2. Addictions are chemical in that these comforting repeated actions are "guaranteed" sources of dopamine and other feel-good hormones.

Sometimes... it just being clearly bad for you isn't enough. Something else lies beneath the surface. Stepping outside the self through meditation gradually increases the emotional space between our minds and our choices. Eventually, we can make another choice without it being hormonally and emotionally charged. But, it takes a lot of work and a lot of dedication. And, it helps to speak to a professional and a spiritual counselor.

No disputing this, I was actually thinking about the other half of the battle.

In my quit smoking program, we often talk about how one cannot quit unless they are wholly committed to it. If one doesn't believe they can quit, then they won't be able to.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #201403 by
I did it last night. I not only closed my social media accounts (the ones I had access to at any rate), but I also deleted the passwords from lastpass and blocked out Facebook in my hosts file. I'm committed this time, I refuse to be sucked back in. Thanks everyone.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi