Addiction Check-In Thread

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #193526 by
Addiction Check-In Thread was created by
We have a workout check-in thread to help people be encouraged to work out more. I know that is something I would like to do. As of right now, however, I'm not in good enough shape to do even most basic workouts without my lungs feeling like they are going to collapse, mainly due to the fact that I smoke. This got me thinking...

I can't be the only one here with an addiction that they would like to kick. This thread is for all of us looking to finally have that last <insert vice here> and be done with it, and for all of those going through (or having gone through) the same thing to offer encouragement to each other.

If you're not comfortable sharing what your addiction is, that's ok. If you stumble on your path, that's ok. If you think there's no way you can possibly give up your addiction, that's ok. We're here to help no matter what.

Together, we can do this. MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #193527 by
Replied by on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
Here goes. Tonight, I will have my last cigarette and my last soda. Tomorrow will be day one. Wish me luck.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #193528 by
Group support is crucial. I will say strongly that I have a food addiction, causing a host of health problems.

I am in the process of reversing my weight gain, having lost 30 pounds since the beginning of this year alone.

This is more like... Day 180 or something dumb like that. I'm not keeping count. But, I am also not "quitting" foods I like. Just learning to eat them in moderation. I follow the 80/20 rule.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #193529 by OB1Shinobi
ive gone through alcoholism, smoking cigarettes, and shooting both heroin and methamphetamine at different stages of my life

i lived on the street for about four years total - including in tents out in the woods and blankets under bridges

now coffee and occasional proccessed foods are my biggest vices

i am fully behind this thread and am available to any one of you if youd like to talk

PM me any time

EDIT

and congrats to Talariq for making the decision

and congrats to Conner for your progress, its very commendable

and best wishes to both of you

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
8 years 9 months ago #195206 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
Hello all.... my name is Edan and I'm a sugar addict :/

I don't have many vices... I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs illegal or otherwise... but sugar...it's always on my mind.

Reducing my sugar intake is not going to work, I've tried it, it just makes me want it more. Sugar substitutes or replacements just taste wrong.

So cold turkey it is.

This is not going to be easy and tea is going to taste gross..

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Ben, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 9 months ago #195300 by Edan
Checking in...

First day off sugar was... not fun.
No sugar on my weetabix, or in my tea, no chocolate biscuits or orange juice, no squash with my lunch, no dessert at my parents with dinner...

My boss' secretary bought my little office (6 of us) chocolate biscuits, mini cheddars and crisps... I kept telling my colleagues not to offer them to me but they did which was not easy.

I never realised how much sugar I was consuming until today.. but even horrible tea wasn't enough to deter me :)

Day one down :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #195511 by Edan
Checking in..

So today, on the third day I broke... I went to an aircraft museum with my dad and grandad and had chocolate..

I'm rather disappointed in myself.. especially as I didn't even think about it.. trying to cut out sugar hasn't been easy.

Still.. onwards and upwards!

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #195560 by
Hell, I can write quiet a lot in here.

I am on:

* coffee (4 small cups/day)
* cigarettes (20/day)
* antidepressant+neuroleptic+normothimic (tiny dose)
* shopping (2 times/month)
* series (~3 times/week)
* fast food (4 times/month)
* sleep (can't get in rhythm since very long ago)

The thing is, I see no point in cutting heads of this hydra. I just work with the root causes: the pain and trauma of being a Force-sensitive and the trouble of adaptation and integration into life after depression.

I hope to free from most of them and replace them with positive things which I already know - in 1-3 years. The thing is to not hurry. for me. I am ultra eager to drop these things, yet I still am not in a condition to do so: turbulence of my current period of life is exhausting. I keep these things checked and ~ once a month I ask myself if I am ready to get past them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #195562 by
I don't have any particular addictions per se, however I do have a physical dependency to Valium because I was never informed by my doctor just how insidious benzos can be. I've wanted for so long to titrate off of it, however, I'm not sure if I'm prepared for the withdrawal syndrome - I tried to do it once and it was sheer agony. It was originally for anxiety, however it never really seemed to help all that much. Joining the temple has done more for me in a month than Valium has ever done for me in five years. But getting off of that stuff is a trial by fire that can last a year or more, depending on how long you've been on it, your dosage, and how slowly you titrate.

For now I just accept it as a part of my life I guess.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #195563 by

CryojenX wrote: ...I just accept it as a part of my life I guess.

if we are talking about Valium it isn't a part of your life so DO NOT accept it :)
Accept instead that you have all the time in the world to fight it. Take it slowly and surely.

ps. find something interesting to occupy your mind in times of need. pc games are a good choice. :)
ps2. I apologize for my English

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi