Addiction Check-In Thread

More
8 years 9 months ago #197474 by Whyte Horse

Connor L. wrote: Funny story I should add:

When I went to Germany last year, I ate like crap. I ate fried things, beer every day, rice with every meal, burgers, asian food... Just a horrible diet. But I came back to the USA and I had actually lost weight. Lol. I could only surmise that American food is just SO bad that simply replacing some of the chemicals with more natural forms of the same crap would lead to weight loss.

Travelling burns a lot of calories and yeah our food is really bad here. I was really shocked at how difficult it is to get fresh foods in the US as opposed to every other country I've visited. Maybe it has to do with the revolving door between gov't and private industry.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197514 by Lykeios Little Raven
I'm a recovering crack addict. I would pretty much do anything i could get though (no needles though).

This thread is awesome! excellent idea.

It's been a while, about 2 years and a month or so (May 2013). Still, it was a struggle and i still have cravings sometimes.

if anyone needs someone to listen and not judge, just ask. Im always happy to render any assistance i can

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197519 by
Replied by on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
Amazing Lyk. :) Thank you for sharing!

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #198522 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
I'm at work and I've been fine until today.

There are jaffa cakes... I can see them, they are my favourite, and I'm struggling not to eat any.
I almost gave in a moment ago.

Very hard today. No sugar!

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #198526 by
Caffeine is my biggest bane in life. I started the habbit a good 8 or so years. Before then, i was always a good little girl and ONLY drank water. Even as a Kid I wasn't really into Pop and Juices and all that crap.

But then I started working at Target. And they had me coming in at odd hours 3am to many times 3pm. Waking up at 2am to get to work everyday was a killer on so many healthy things and Caffeine was my only way of staying alive while my bosses overworked me long past my agreed upon hours. (Supposed to leave work at 8am....yea right >_>)

Then I had kids. (The first two weeks of parenthood was hell...)

And i haven't been able to quit since. It has become my Stress Blanket. It is my treat for dealing with it all day.

I am doing much better though. I am down to only drinking half the can's instead of full can's and I have switched my taste from the heavily caffeinated (monster) to the lightly caffeinated one's (KickStarts). Slow progress but still progress.

More
8 years 9 months ago #198527 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Addiction Check-In Thread

Kitsu Tails wrote: I am doing much better though. I am down to only drinking half the can's instead of full can's and I have switched my taste from the heavily caffeinated (monster) to the lightly caffeinated one's (KickStarts). Slow progress but still progress.

You could try having every other one as a caffeine free; both coke and pepsi do caffeine free versions of their drinks; exactly the same taste but without the caffeine. I think coke's come in a white can, and pepsi's in a gold one.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #198536 by
Unfortunately that doesn't work (I have tried) Regular pop's/soda's like pepsi (I prefer Root Beer) make me thirsty for more. I rarely drink Pop's/Soda's and when I do it's only a shot glass full or when out to eat a small cup. Their sugar content is worse than an energy drink surprisingly lol Energy drinks also have more vitamins in them so they are actually more healthy.....well....Lesser of two evils you might say XD.

My biggest problem is. I only "Need" (And i use need loosely) a couple of sips. The rest I finish simply because it's there. America is terrible with their size's. I wish they commonly sold the mini can's of energy drinks.

No.....The way I have been slowly solving my caffeine intake is by replacing it with Gatorade. I have a huge can of the powder so I fill up a large bottle of diluted Gatorade and put it in hand's reach so that whenever i get thirsty I have that right there.

Better then pop/soda anyways XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199782 by
Ok, so in a time of great emotional vulnerability I fell off the wagon and ate some ice cream. I had been off refined sugar for months. An unfortunate side effect of having it back in my diet is that - along with some minor dehydration - it's caused a major relapse in my CFS/ME symptoms, which has in turn thrown my podcast off schedule.

Anyhoo, this is my first morning where I feel comfortable being out of bed, but my muscles are still burning from sugar-related inflammation. And I know tonight is going to be wrought with terrible insomnia, but I have to get back off of this stuff. Wish me luck.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199783 by
Kitsu, I too am in the process of quitting my caffeine addiction. Funnily, I had always used the term "caffeine addict" as a joke, but then I actually did some research and discovered how addicted I was. I started weaning myself off two weeks ago. Last week I had a total of four sodas (my preferred poison is Mt. Dew) though some were quite large. This week I have had one, today. I hadn't had one since Friday.

The day I "quit" I bought a 25 oz water bottle and have since been downing two to three of those a day. I think that's been helping.

I had quit rather successfully last year and then things got stressful at work and I fell of the wagon. I fell pretty hard too. Things aren't quite calmed down yet but the end is in sight and even if it wasn't I would still quit because I don't like the idea of needing something to help me feel good. Makes me feel like a hypocrite when I think about my views on alcohol or other drugs, and I really dislike feeling like a hypocrite.

In the words of Red Green, "I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together." :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #199787 by
haha that is really the killer for it to. Stress. Always is the reason why I fall back to it...when Im not stressed out...i can quit easy...but when stress is high (Like all this month so far) It's just oh so good to start the day with the snap hiss of a Monster can being opened lol

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi