Addiction Check-In Thread

More
8 years 9 months ago #195832 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
It appears I was wrong... just seen an advert for a Mars bar and now I cannot stop craving chocolate :(

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #195844 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Addiction Check-In Thread

Edan wrote: It appears I was wrong... just seen an advert for a Mars bar and now I cannot stop craving chocolate :(

What I do is make my own; cacao and honey, mixed = sauce. I'm also trying to avoid white sugar at all costs.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

More
8 years 9 months ago #195853 by Cyan Sarden

den385 wrote: Cyan, I'm quite a shopaholic myself, although I manage it pretty ok. Shopping is a painkiller. It's symptomatic.

The real thing that induces this symptoms, the root cause - that's what matters. I know mine and constantly work on it. Otherwise, there will be no cure from neither root cause nor symptoms.

While working on a root cause (which is always individual), the following strategies & tactics help me:

1) limit your spendings; it may sound odd, but I find it irresponsible to live in credit; I spend from debet only
2) have a buffer, some "retardant amount" - it's more advanced tech than (1)
3) spend on things you really need, really use, really love; make each buying a quest for optimality, a pursuit of a shopaholic grail. investigate what you buy deeply. investigate how it is made. make this a domain of knowledge.
4) I also bring in some meditative aspect into this: find not only a quality and nice thing. Not only know from what it is made and how the market worket and so on. But find things that inspire you. Things that lift your mood. Things that express you. And it must not matter if they are not popular and not expensive or marketed actively.
5) With time and work on root cause, fixation on things will evaporate. And you will still have some useful stuff and useful knowledge.

This all might sound pretty stupid and consumerism-ish, but the point is to bend addiction into something useful. To find zen solution until you have found a Jedi one (the one which will redeem you of the root cause).

Thank you, a lot of great points raised in this post. I, too, believe that my consumerism is some sort of replacement action for something that's missing / incomplete in my life. I believe it has to do with balance - I have a job that I like and I feel very comfortable at home. But both aspects tend to be overwhelming at times, crushing the bubble in between. My task is likely going to be to expand that bubble so it can't be crushed that easily anymore.

As for the strategies: makes a lot of sense. In a way, I'm forced to do that anyway as my finances demand for a more restrictive spending policy at the moment and perhaps I should use that as a starting point.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196011 by Edan
Checking in

Today was a bit of a failure... I was hungry all day and none of my healthy snacks were cutting it. I didn't eat any chocolate (mostly cos I couldn't go anywhere to get some) but I ended up having 3 teas with sugar in that my client brought me.

Although it was never my intention to lose weight, having been the same weight for about 4 years, in the last week since I started this I've lost 4 pounds. I guess I always thought I didn't really eat much chocolate and sugary things, but apparently the opposite is true.

If my sister keeps eating kit kats in front of me though there may be an issue!

The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196726 by Edan
Checking in..

So I'm back at the office this week with my decaff coffee... no sugary tea in sight.

The longer I do this the harder it gets. I'm not doing very well with this 'cold turkey' thing.. I went out for dinner Thursday with my dad.. I ended up having ice-cream for dessert.. however it actually tasted pretty sickly and I didn't eat all of it.
On the other hand though, right this moment, I want chocolate. I just want it. Damn that sugaryness :/

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 9 months ago #197001 by Edan
Still here... still not having sugar.

I'm finding myself really hungry most of the time now... yesterday I was so hungry in the evening I think I may have gone a little crazy for a while.

I'm trying to swap the sugary stuff for other food but I'm keen not to replace it all with carbs which is almost as bad.

So I've gone from fine, to craving, to hungry. It's been an eye opener but the hunger is very off putting.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197008 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
Cold turkey - caffeine. Day 3..... ouch, and moody! #avoidteacomprimise

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 9 months ago #197324 by Whyte Horse

Connor L. wrote: Still not doing great. lol.

I know my body, and it feels like opening the flood gates a little has forced them open a lot.

For everyone experiencing food or sugar addictions:
I beat mine and here's how... I flew to the other side of the planet and lived in the jungle. I'm not saying that you necessarily have to do that but you can replicate the experience which I believe led to my outcome:
1.) The food all came from the local markets which means it was organic, fresh, in season, and had no additives like salt, "natural flavouring"(aka MSG), preservatives, etc.
2.) I prepared everything from scratch meaning I knew if there was salt or sugar in my food
3.) I consumed way more food by volume than when I was in the US, yet I never got fat and never felt hungry all the time.

After I came back to the US I got all fat again and felt hungry all day. Eventually I figured out that "natural flavouring" tricks your body into overproducing insulin. Ask any doctor and they will tell you that diabetics should steer clear of MSG. What really freaked me out is how nearly all products contain it now. Coke, pepsi, hell they even inject it into chicken breasts!
Warning: Spoiler!

Anyway, I have come up with a few simple rules that help me:
1. Never eat processed foods. If it comes in a can or a box, it's processed.
2. Prepare all your food yourself. This is tricky but just read the labels on everything you buy. You would think it would be hard to sell bread loaded with chemicals but almost all breads are loaded.
3. Get everything organic and in-season. If you wan organic tomatoes in January you're going to pay an arm and a leg but in August they are dirt cheap. One trick to watch out for is when grocers sell you last year's fruit that was picked before ripe and then slowly ripened in a fridge over the course of a year. This fruit will taste like ass yet look like it was fresh picked and they usually roll it out right before the current year's crops come into season.

Once you get the hang of things you can eat like a pig all day and you won't be fat and constantly starving. I've been doing this and perfecting it over the past 4 years and now my Dr. gave me an amazing bill of health. No more high blood pressure(probably caused by salt), no more high cholesterol(I eat eggs and bacon every day), I can go 8hrs without feeling hungry, no more diarrhea, etc.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
8 years 9 months ago #197464 by OB1Shinobi
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carole-carson/resistant-starch-weightlo_b_841485.html

a quote from the article

"Incorporating the resistant starch into meals produced some amazing results. First, I noticed that my late afternoon drop in energy disappeared along with the craving for sugar. I surmised that my glycemic level had stabilized. In addition, I found myself satisfied much longer after meals and almost disinterested in eating when the next mealtime arrived."

ive been looking around and people seem to agree that resistant starch is a legit thing - not just a fad

i dont know if this will help anyone but when i read it i thought i should share it here

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197466 by
Replied by on topic Addiction Check-In Thread
Funny story I should add:

When I went to Germany last year, I ate like crap. I ate fried things, beer every day, rice with every meal, burgers, asian food... Just a horrible diet. But I came back to the USA and I had actually lost weight. Lol. I could only surmise that American food is just SO bad that simply replacing some of the chemicals with more natural forms of the same crap would lead to weight loss.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi