Apologies

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170504 by
Replied by on topic Apologies
I have to wonder why a Jedi and one Aspiring to be Knighted soon, feel it is ok to be Rude, uncaring, and has no feeling of remorse. When two of the key, major pillars of Jedi is "Respect" and "Self Discipline"

To me. All that I have read in here are just excuses to be and act disrespectful with no self disciplines or care about one's training and path as Jedi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170511 by
Again, I am not equating rudeness to being mean and divisive. I'm equating it to indifference towards the opinions of others. In general, that is seen as rudeness. And, I don't think indifference shows a lack of respect or self discipline.

To my teachers in school, I don't care how your child is doing... I don't care what problems you have going on at home. Same goes to the random person at the supermarket check out. Just bag my food and let me go on with my day. How is that rude? How is that a lack of self-discipline?

If somebody asks me what I think, and I give an answer that is abrasive, it is not by accident. I am not showing a lack of control. It may come off as rude. Maybe that IS an area I would work on if I found that my methodology was ineffective. Some people only listen to nice people. Sometimes you have to play the game. And, I'm ok with that.

In my time as a Jedi, I've enjoyed playing the game a lot. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. But, my duties as a Jedi are clear:
Always improve when possible.
Help people who need it (I volunteer a lot).
Be a good person.

I do all of those things... If I'm an ass while I'm doing it, that's a completely different issue to me.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170519 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Apologies

Khaos wrote:

Br. John wrote: “Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength.”

― Eric Hoffer

I find quotes like these rude, and dismissive.

I have met plenty of rude people and it was not a sign of weakness.

The weak willed often say things like the above to justify there own inability to be rude when necessary.

Today, people whine about bullying, or kill themselves, rather than stand up and fight for themselves.

The above quote may imply wisdom to some, but to me, it shows a lack of character,at best.

Attachment h3f1eb52.jpg not found

Founder of The Order
Attachments:

More
9 years 5 months ago #170525 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Apologies

Connor L. wrote: Again, I am not equating rudeness to being mean and divisive. I'm equating it to indifference towards the opinions of others. In general, that is seen as rudeness. And, I don't think indifference shows a lack of respect or self discipline.

To me showing indifference is the meaning of disrespect.

Politeness is the lubricant which makes all social interactions flow better... it's not a game.. I don't play being polite to get a reaction or to manipulate, I'm polite because it shows I realise the other person is a human being. I don't have to care about their situation or what they're thinking.

With regards to this:

When I was younger, I had myself tested for psychopathy. The results were inconclusive, but they did say I should continue to explore my possible social disorder with psychologists.

I don't know how young you were, but if you were a child or teenager, psychologists don't like saying that children have ASPD. There is another name they will give (I can't think of it right now), but more than likely they just didn't want to give a diagnosis.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, rugadd

More
9 years 5 months ago #170526 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Apologies
I was just reading Milarepa said to "look on all beings with great concern and caring" if one wants to accomplish stability in the basic trainings of the Mahayana preliminaries to Vajrayana, and it reminded me of this thread
:side:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170527 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Apologies

Edan wrote: I don't know how young you were, but if you were a child or teenager, psychologists don't like saying that children have ASPD. There is another name they will give (I can't think of it right now), but more than likely they just didn't want to give a diagnosis.

Conduct disorder.

There is also some varying opinion on the existence of ASPD as a stand alone "disorder". There is some argument that it is a form of post traumatic stress, particularly considering some of the markers that indicate a risk factor.

Cognitive behavioral or psychodynamic therapy being the most commonly recommended "treatments" for it. Meaning, its a learned behaviour that can be changed.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #170529 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Apologies
I find polite people untrustworthy. I find the english-speaking world crafty and dishonest. When I was a kid my mother told me english people are nice in your face then stab you in the back, I find this is generally true of english speakers at large, and present in every-day use of the language.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170536 by
While we're generalizing entire language speaking regions I find Spanish speaking countries to be party animals and soccer fiends.

I mean, really ren? You can't be serious.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170539 by

Connor L. wrote: Again, I am not equating rudeness to being mean and divisive. I'm equating it to indifference towards the opinions of others. In general, that is seen as rudeness. And, I don't think indifference shows a lack of respect or self discipline.

It is seen as Rudeness because being indifferent towards others. Is, Rude. Just because you do not like someone, their actions, or what they say. Does not mean you need to look down your nose as if your opinion is superior than their own. It's not. That is a Sith's way of thinking.

To my teachers in school, I don't care how your child is doing... I don't care what problems you have going on at home. Same goes to the random person at the supermarket check out. Just bag my food and let me go on with my day. How is that rude? How is that a lack of self-discipline?

It is Rude because you are behaving in a manner that acts in superiority over others. Jedi are supposed to listen and care about others, in these simple acts of listening and caring we are able to learn if our services are required or not. Service is not something you do when you feel like it on Charity day. It is something you do everyday. You don't have to agree with it, you don't even have to like the person. But you should always listen and be aware. Such is the teachings of Jedi.

If somebody asks me what I think, and I give an answer that is abrasive, it is not by accident. I am not showing a lack of control.

Yes it is. It shows that you lack self discipline in the area of Social Communication and are incapable of conducting your words and appearances in a Jedi Like manner. Again, this is Sith behavior.

It may come off as rude. Maybe that IS an area I would work on if I found that my methodology was ineffective. Some people only listen to nice people. Sometimes you have to play the game. And, I'm ok with that.

Only Sith deals in games.

Always improve when possible.

Then you should be able to Improve your ability to be Socially acceptable to others.

Help people who need it (I volunteer a lot).

Thats great! What do you do when its not Volunteer day?

Be a good person.

The very definition of being a good person, is one who is capable of being good to others.

I do all of those things... If I'm an ass while I'm doing it, that's a completely different issue to me.

Having been on the receiving end of this behavior. I can personally say that your behavior and personality leaves much to be desired.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170541 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Apologies

Kitsu Tails wrote: It is seen as Rudeness because being indifferent towards others. Is, Rude. Just because you do not like someone, their actions, or what they say. Does not mean you need to look down your nose as if your opinion is superior than their own. It's not. That is a Sith's way of thinking.

No, I agree with Connor. Indifference and apathy aren't rude. Rudeness is a blatant, rebellious disregard for proper decorum. Indifference is simply indifference. Furthermore, the invocation of the "Sith" boogieman in this thread is wildly misplaced.

It is Rude because you are behaving in a manner that acts in superiority over others. Jedi are supposed to listen and care about others...

Indifference is not indicative of condescension or assumed superiority. Jedi are under no onus that I can find to "listen" to others, or care about them as more than other human beings. We should strive to do what is right, but "right" isn't necessarily "polite". I am a good person. I am not a nice person. It is imperative the difference be understood if one wishes to get along with me, for example.

Yes it is. It shows that you lack self discipline in the area of Social Communication and are incapable of conducting your words and appearances in a Jedi Like manner. Again, this is Sith behavior.

Again, I totally disagree here. Self-discipline exhibits itself in many more ways than simply forcing oneself to listen to random people prattle on about random problems. Furthermore, you are not the final arbiter of "Jedi" behavior. I would take it as a personal kindness if you stopped policing the actions of others when you, yourself, are overstepping.

Only Sith deals in games.

"Only Sith deal in absolutes." An alternate joke involves Toys R Us cashiers secretly helping action figures carry out Order 66.

Then you should be able to Improve your ability to be Socially acceptable to others.

Why? Social acceptability is not indicative of social consciousness, beneficence, or righteousness. Please stop pretending it is.

The very definition of being a good person, is one who is capable of being good to others.

Which has nothing at all to do with social tolerance.

Having been on the receiving end of this behavior. I can personally say that your behavior and personality leaves much to be desired.

*hands you matching "Pot" and "Kettle" nametags*
Mine says "Skillet."
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi