• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170658 by
Replied by on topic Apologies

Khaos wrote: Its not egoist?

Who is the "I" in that sentence?

Mentioned twice no less.

You are no longer talking about the psychological egoism. Psychological Egoism is a moral philosophy about one's motivations when performing actions.

The example you've given is just saying that someone did something once.

"I gave money to charity."
"I stole someone's shirt."

Just because an "I" or a "You" did those things doesn't tell me anything beyond someone happened to do something once. Psychological egoism isn't about people doing stuff, it is about the motivations behind why people do stuff.

"I gave money to charity, because I wanted to feel good."
"I gave money to charity, because I place the well-being of others before myself."

Those are the situations that determine whether something is egoist or not.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170660 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Apologies

Khaos wrote:

I have studied under many a rude person, because rudeness was an irrelevant trait. They were good teachers in there chosen field and that was important.

This did it for me. I agree with this.

rugadd

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170672 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Apologies

Kitsu Tails wrote:
I see. I forgot, whenever interacting on a Jedi Forum, I have to spill out a ton of disclaimers.

Seems fair after having required the same from members of TOTJO.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #170674 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Apologies

Akkarin wrote:

ren wrote:

Psychological Egoism and Altruism are moral theories that are concerned only with motivation. If it was definitional (i.e (as a hypothetical example) the definition of selfish is doing something which ultimately benefits you) then anything that fit that definition of course would automatically be true. But that is the same case for everything because you can just define anything as anything lol.

Every action is inherently egoist. We do things BECAUSE (something else). because we care, because we don't care. because we believe or do not believe in one thing or another. everything we do is a product of thought, instinct, a chemical or other reaction... Whether an action benefits some other thing in some way becomes kind of irrelevant, mostly because we cannot know what the true "worth" of anything (including any action) is. I just call it all "the Force" and claim it's all very complicated. :whistle:

Having a reason for something doesn't make your motivation egoist. It is the reason itself that determines whether it is egoist.

"I did this because I am altruistically selfless" - there isn't one part about that sentence which is egoist, saying otherwise brings us back to the aforementioned arguments in my above posts about lying or lack of self-knowledge.

There's a different between something being about you and something being caused by you.

you may be using "egoist" in the very specific sense required by your uni paper, but I have no such requirement.... :P

My point is that YOUR action is YOUR response to other things, in other words, a direct reflection of YOU... Your actions necessarily involve you, therefore making all your actions egoist. The ego does what it "thinks" it has to do, therefore the action is in fact, every single time, exactly what the ego wants.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170678 by

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:
I see. I forgot, whenever interacting on a Jedi Forum, I have to spill out a ton of disclaimers.

I have never required such from the members of TOTJO.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170682 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Apologies
I'm lost... what were we talking about? :unsure:

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 5 months ago #170683 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

I humbly beg to differ. As I recall there was a conversation that spanned more than one thread where you insisted disclaimers were required.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170685 by

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

I humbly beg to differ. As I recall there was a conversation that spanned more than one thread where you insisted disclaimers were required.

I am sorry you feel that way. However, you would be incorrect in your assumption. Apologies for your misunderstanding of my written words. *bows*

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 5 months ago #170686 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

I am sorry you feel that way. However, you would be incorrect in your assumption. Apologies for your misunderstanding of my written words. *bows*

Its not an assumption Kitsu. I remember the conversation very clearly and it came about after your insistence that TOTJO be clear that its definitions were only this temples definitions and there were screenshots of our disclaimers posted within the topic to support the fact that we DO have them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170691 by

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Its not an assumption Kitsu. I remember the conversation very clearly and it came about after your insistence that TOTJO be clear that its definitions were only this temples definitions and there were screenshots of our disclaimers posted within the topic to support the fact that we DO have them.

Brenna. I have stated this a couple times. And I will, say it once more. All that I have ever said, is that I feel "IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION" That there are some things within the temples ARTICLES that could be rewarded and cleaned up to ensure clarity of purpose and image towards TOTJO. I have NEVER stated that members here at the Temple should disclaimer every post and action they make in fear of misinterpretation. Nor have I ever stated that my words were absolute.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would please stop taking my words out of context and into, now four threads, I am begging to feel Trolled by your actions and would like to poltely ask that we not take this thread anymore off topic because you cannot learn to let things go. You don't agree with my points of views. That is Ok!! But please. Drop. It.

Thank you. *Bows*

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi