Apologies

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170453 by
Replied by on topic Apologies
I have two questions.
  1. What is gained from rudeness?
  2. Do you believe that it is wrong to be kind if you don't benefit from it?
We know Khaos's thoughts on not being rude and what it means about you as a person.

Connor, you talk about only being polite to people that you can gain something from and that I understand. What I don't see is how being rude gains you anything other than a reputation as being rude and thus having people not want to talk to you.

Granted, if I'm understanding the earlier posts correctly, you're saying that rudeness is the natural state and that we force ourselves to be kind meaning that you gain being honest and natural by being rude. If that is the case then I'm just hoping to confirm that, however pessimistic it may be.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170454 by

Brenna wrote:

Connor L. wrote: I'm just indifferent to them and their feelings.

Why?

I've never had a reason to... I have more feelings for the people who provide the water to my apartment than the random person sitting next to me in class.

Is that weird?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170455 by

Goken wrote: Granted, if I'm understanding the earlier posts correctly, you're saying that rudeness is the natural state and that we force ourselves to be kind meaning that you gain being honest and natural by being rude. If that is the case then I'm just hoping to confirm that, however pessimistic it may be.

I should be clearer.

Rudeness as in intentional action AGAINST somebody is not a natural thing.

Indifference is. And, many people interpret indifference as rudeness.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #170456 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Apologies

Connor L. wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Why?

I've never had a reason to... I have more feelings for the people who provide the water to my apartment than the random person sitting next to me in class.

Is that weird?

Nope. But it is interesting.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170457 by
[/quote]

Is that weird?[/quote]

If I answer that honestly would that be insensitive of me?

never mind I'll just be indifferent. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170458 by
:huh: What are you getting at, Rickie?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #170460 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Apologies
lol, of course....

Rudeness, to me, implies lack of self control...

Lack of empathy...

And bad manners...

:lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Breeze el Tierno,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170462 by
I'm not sure it's a lack of self control. Some people genuinely enjoy being mean. And, they choose it quite seriously.

I can get on board with lack of empathy and bad manners. But, both of those things I don't have a problem with in certain situations.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170465 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Apologies

Connor L. wrote: 1. For the Pack.
This does not apply to humans.

Yes. It does. It's the same reason we protect both family and country. It's the reason there's a booming war business right now. It's the reason we have national, religious, sexual, gender, and general group-related pride. Humans are still pack animals.
[hr]

Connor L. wrote: However, if one is being "selfless" to get in the good graces with somebody, to get something in return, to just be a good person? These are all selfish things, if you ask me. If we are capable of separating our wants and desires from our actions, and we end up being selfless by ignoring selfishness, then we've gone crazy. Something is not connected right in the brain.

So what matters more, Connor? The action or the intent? If I solve world hunger, the world energy crisis, or save ten thousand refugees from a fate worse than death, who cares what my reasons are?
[hr]

Connor L. wrote: Somebody would have to be coerced into choosing the pack over the self.

Of course you're correct, Connor. That's exactly why I bear these scars, right? This is why I have screwed up nightmares and double-locked doors that get triple-checked. Because someone will always choose self over pack? :angry:
[hr]

Connor L. wrote: Exactly. On this website, my life isn't dependent on the relationships I form here. I don't need anything from anybody here.

Mine is. I do. I have met too many people here who have changed me and saved me for this not to be a community important to me. Which (though it may seem odd to some of you) is why I cause so much "trouble" here.
[hr]

Connor L. wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Why?

Is that weird?

Yes. And telling.
[hr]

Connor L. wrote: I can get on board with lack of empathy and bad manners. But, both of those things I don't have a problem with in certain situations.

I can't. Lack of empathy is one thing--though it borders on inhuman--but bad manners? This may come as a shock to some, but in my personal life I go to extreme lengths to punish poorly behaved people. I do not tolerate bad manners or disrespect. You can love me or fear me. Maybe even both. But if I have to choose one, I'll choose the one I can enforce.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170470 by
Lots of people fight in wars. I won't pretend to tell you why you did it (I'm assuming from your response).

Their reasons are varied, though. It's not all nationalism and group pride. And, I think nationalism comes from the nice thought of feeling safe that we live in a country where we're not constantly being bombed.

Again, I really don't want to go into a subject I don't have any experience with.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi