Jedi Pyramid

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #101696 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
:unsure:

Okay, perhaps there was a bit of an 'overboard' there with the Tao Te Ching. As for the rest, I have not been moved by what is proposed. I do not oppose it out of some conservative consideration to the TotJO, but more because I feel it to be dangerous.

I am certainly not against the ideal of 'unity'. Of 'unification' on the other hand, I would counsel prudence.

Herewith, I shall not quote the Tao, but something else :

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." - the Borg collective.

Should we support unity, it would best not be through the establishment of some central body doctrine which erases our differences, but by fostering true cooperation despite our differences.

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Alexandre Orion.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #101697 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
Now we're getting somewhere. Alexandre, can you give me a better idea of why you consider possibly dangerous? :) Because I don't see this at all as being something which erases our differences, but instead celebrates them and reflects what all the Jedi Orders have had in the past. To me, this takes the best of both the Old Guard and the New Guard and keeps it stitched together so that we don't wonder too much further from the concepts.

Much like the Christian Church has over the years where you just have people going to church with the claim that they are Christian...but never really understand what it means to be Christian. Unless you become Catholic...sorta...(lots of debate on that one, if you're a Christian, I'm not getting into it, I count Catholics as Christian. lol.)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Alethea Thompson.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #101698 by Alexandre Orion
Well, for one thing 'unification' implies a sort of 'uniformity'. Who gets to decide this ? Is there to be some sort of Inter-group council convened or would it be by ratification of these diverse administrative bodies ? What does that imply for those already on a path that satisfies them ? Do we have to check things off a check-list to see if we were well trained/taught ? Or, as teachers, are we to conform to a programme handed down from the 'ministry'.

As it were, I do what I have to do, as inspired by the Force. If it falls into the cadre of doctrine, well that may be better, but that is not my primary consideration even in the context of the TotJO where I feel particularly at home. Please do not write of doctrine and inter/orders and feel as though it will have any particular impact on how I have been trained by my master, nor how I will teach. Ask me to cooperate and I'll be happy to ...

Basically, don't force it.

:)

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Alexandre Orion.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #101699 by Alexandre Orion
It could be an interesting experience, just to see which differences of which orders/groups get celebrated and which get homogenised ...

Old Guard, New Guard, Catholique, Reformiste (Protestant) ... we've been seeing how people of differing faiths get along when forced to. They do it reasonably well when left on their own.

:dry:

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #101703 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
Isn't this kind of like drawing a line and deciding who gets to stand on either side?

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #101708 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
I for one am all for additional training, so long as it stays optional. If it becomes manditory, well....
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by .

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #101711 by Alexandre Orion
To be honest, I'm not reticent about having options. Perhaps not too many, for that proves (really, it's proven) more of a handicap than a benefit. Yes, additional training as long as it is agreed upon and not required. For instance, I AM certified in Prévention et Secours Civiques and Service de Sécurité Incendie & Assistance aux Personnes but funny enough, the only lives I think I've ever saved was done with just a little bit of reasoning (for the moment). So, as it were, I'm all for being trained in these competencies, in their context. It is a motivation which could be best to come out of Jedi teaching, rather than be a required part of it.

That could be one way in which we cooperate : to share our talents. Forgive me however if I never tell an apprentice that he must get certified as a maître nageur (swimming lifeguard) in order to be a Jedi ... if, as a result of our exchange, s/he is moved to obtain this sort of skill, that would be wonderful. If not, other wonderful things could come out of it. Or the motivation could come from the exchange with another --

As it were, we are not a bunch of monks at the TotJO who sit in meditation all day. We have lives. And how we live our Jediism is as living as any others ...

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #101712 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
at totjo apprenticeships are usually custom, and while masters have to partially work within a framework (the A.Div), they seem to very, very much enjoy the ability to do what they want to do.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #101713 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid

ren wrote: at totjo apprenticeships are usually custom, and while masters have to partially work within a framework (the A.Div), they seem to very, very much enjoy the ability to do what they want to do.

As an apprentice I experience the apprenticeship first hand and this is one of the things I love about TOTJO, the freedom of education, it is customized thus making it so much better than a pre-set schedule.

As for when I will be a knight, I am pleased to actually be able to write my own lessons for any apprentices I may have as this gives me a very personal feeling.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #101715 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Jedi Pyramid
Also, I believe any evolution should be natural (as in: a natural "improvement" --hopefully-- of what we currently do/are). if evolution leads us closer together, so be it, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

there are many different churches in christianity, this despite a pretty solid/standard collection of teachings, considered "holy", called the bible. the reason why these churches are different is because the followers of one church feel differently from the followers of the other churches. Even within something like the catholic church, "activities" will depend on the congregation. br. John talked about this (denominations) in his recent interview on live tv. In our statement of beliefs we also make it clear that we support the ability of people to choose when it comes to church/religion.

On another note: If you've been part of the community for as long as you claim, then you know that past attempts at doing what you say have failed, and not just failed at standardization, but tore existing communities apart, having the side-effect of creating even more communities/websites.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi