Martial Arts: Your interest?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #207735 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Dessel761 wrote: After watching The Walking Dead and seeing that badass (and very Jedi-ish) Eastman kicking ass I kinda wanna learn Aikido.

It's amazing what Theater Magic can do with a crappy style, huh? ;) I wouldn't suggest Aikido for anything but Internal work. Just me though. *shrugs*

That's mostly what it would be for, internal work. I found a pdf version of The Art of Peace which was in TWD as well, and now I see why Eastman seemed so Jedi. Also reading a book about Aikido and I am pretty stoked to learn it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #207778 by
If one were to study Aikido I would suggest Yoshinkan, Yoseikan, or Shodokan.Yoshinkan places great emphasis on self-defence techniques, and is used by several Japanese police forces, and has influenced other approaches to civilian self-defence programs. Yoseikan Aikido is a system with in Yoseikan Budo, and incorporates techniques from Judo, and has a significant body of Atemi-Waza, striking techniques, lacking in other Aikido schools. Lastly; Shodokan incorporates randori (Free-practice) against both unarmed opponents and versus an opponent armed with tanto (knife). Thought the point is to be better prepared for self-defence, rather than as a combat sport. I would advise those schools as I feel they have the best balance between combative effectiveness and physicality, while retaining the philosophical meaning Ueshiba O-Sensei wished to impart. I would note I am not in any way an Aikido-ka or expert in Aikido; my only experience is of the Yoshinkan techniques preserved in the Yui Shin Kan Karate system I have dabbled in.

However, if your interest is in the “internal” arts; I would suggest Yi Quan or a related Japanese school known as Taikiken. They place emphasis on the exercises used by the “internal” schools to develop strength, good posture, and enhanced proprioception, while doing away with forms. However, in my years of studying the martial arts I would say the most important lesson has been that internal and external are nonsense concepts. To paraphrase Toriyama Shihan; “Good karate is soft karate.”

When one has truly developed their skills to the nth degree, an element of effortless emerges. Also, no matter the martial art; one must acknowledge the intricacies of the body. If one does not know how to breathe; then one knows nothing. Ultimately; Aiki and Kiai are one in the same; they are both expressions of the same concept. No matter the technique; you shall eventually have to express your own energy, make your own motion. Dodging takes no exercise: you are never the target, a target is merely a point in space and time; to dodge you simply need to let your opponent strike their target while not sharing the same space as that target. That though, is not enough to end a combat.

Study it all or just die; that is all there is. When you apply a description made by others to what you are doing; you are merely imitating a thought some one else had. He who imitates is bound to die; he who is inspired may yet live.

Any fight may inevitably be ones last, and thus one should choose every battle wisely. It could be your last, or it could be the last you entered into innocently. If one is not prepared for the consequence of death; then reconsider the path. To believe one can fight, and preserve lives, is a supreme arrogance. Though enough of the dramatics and harsh words; the important thing is to be doing something that is satisfying, and at harmony with your world. Happiness comes and goes, as does power and hopelessness. No amount of training will ever change that. Best advice I was ever given in the martial arts was to pursue that which reminded me of “why?”.

More
8 years 4 months ago #212047 by Kohadre
I don't really follow any set system, I simply follow the laws of natural movement and the foundations of anatomy. Theatrics have no place in a fight for me, either your goal is to disable your opponent or it is to be disabled by them, as others have said each fight could turn into your last.

I have been in many fights and I have lost many fights, there is never a winner; there is only who is standing and possibly who is still living.

The best martial art is diplomacy, a true fighter knows how to end a conflict before it progresses into physical violence. Sometimes the ego gets in the way however, and we feel that we need to beat down our adversary in order to teach them a lesson.

In a real fight, there are no rules, there is no referee, and there is no bell. You either do everything necessary to win, or you hope your opponent is merciful.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212105 by
Does anyone know of a "home course" option for something like this? I'd love to participate in a class, but my schedule rotates, and I usually have 1-2 nights each week dedicated to either a meeting of an organization or for my kids' groups.

More
8 years 4 months ago #212208 by OB1Shinobi

McNulty wrote: Does anyone know of a "home course" option for something like this? I'd love to participate in a class, but my schedule rotates, and I usually have 1-2 nights each week dedicated to either a meeting of an organization or for my kids' groups.

what do you mean "something like this"?

like what exactly? i think i may be able to point you in the right direction if i have an idea of where you want to go

are you wanting just a general martial arts training program which you can do from home or do you have a particular system you want to pursue?

if youre not really sure then i would ask "what do you imagine yourself achieving with training?"

i mean are you most excited by the idea of being fit and strong? do you feel particularly drawn to the acrobatic and visually impressive motions? are you looking for "enlightenment?" do you feel its most important be able to handle yourself if someone tries to hurt you? something else?

people get in to martial arts for a lot of different reasons and really understanding those reasons is how you determine what system you ought to pursue

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212221 by
I see that there is great interest in Martial Arts, do people here think that skill in the art of defence is an important part of being a jedi, or is it simply a means to an end?

I do not study or train any kind of Martial Arts, but the thought has always been alluring..

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212224 by OB1Shinobi
my personal opinion is that jedi training needs to foster familiarity with and competence in a broad array of subjects, which includes the ability to deal with personal violence in an effective way

that does not necessarily mean one must be some kind of gladiator, but it means that every jedi needs to take personal responsibility for the fact that life is dangerous and predatorial, and that we may at any point be forced to contend with that reality on our own resources

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212225 by
In any case I have been trained in the arts of modern combat, both ranged and hand-to-hand.
But I would always try to de-escalate a situation by the use of voice, wit, and show-of-force through knowledge/intelligence.
I too believe that a jedi must learn to master many aspects of life, I'm just new so I wanted to hear what people had to say about it.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #212229 by OB1Shinobi
right on

i guess i better mention that not everyone feels the way i do, some jedi here are dedicated pacifists, and some maybe arent pacifist strictly speaking but have no interest or desire to pursue any kind of martial training as they feel that its not in alignment with their ethical views or the demands of their lifestyle

some just arent interested period - nothing really to do with the ethical implications

some arent able to, for instance because of medical conditions

and there are some jedi here who have years and years of training and experience - most of the more well known systems have some representation here, from traditional asian arts to competative "sport" arts and mma and military combatives

there is room for interpretation when it comes to exactly what one must do to be a jedi, but an overarching theme at the temple is inclusivity - mutual respect - lol not that you always would know it depending on which posts and which topics you encounter first

and i agree with you about deescalation - much better than the consequences of either winning or losing a fight in most cases

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #212233 by
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi