Martial Arts: Your interest?

More
8 years 9 months ago #196352 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
LOL! That was great. Especially the end.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196354 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
I feel like I have trained in some form of martial arts for most of my life. I taught for about 5.

I like "martial arts". I like the art of moving the body in a martial way. The easy style to name is: Jeet Kune Do because its a philosophy and not a style.

I avoid styles. I like arts!

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196355 by Whyte Horse
One would think that Tai Chi would work for a jedi. Chi is the Chinese word for "life force" and a tai chi master's energy flows from this force. It would also be cool to do a kind of synchretistic martial art that combines the best of all of them rather than just focusing on A or B...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Whyte Horse.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196356 by
I do Tai Chi.

As an overweight male, it is so nice on my joints, and I still feel like I get a good work out.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196730 by OB1Shinobi

rugadd wrote: LOL! That was great. Especially the end.

thanks rugadd, i was hoping someone would enjoy :-)

Whyte Horse wrote: One would think that Tai Chi would work for a jedi. Chi is the Chinese word for "life force" and a tai chi master's energy flows from this force. It would also be cool to do a kind of synchretistic martial art that combines the best of all of them rather than just focusing on A or B...

personally if i had to choose between tai chi/qigong or joseph c. i would say tai chi is more important for a jedi

i see it as an energy art more than a definitively martial art - except to say that anything which enhances you as a person will help to improve your martial ability

but i wouldnt tell someone who does tai chi that they are not practicing a martial art if they insisted they were

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196744 by
Over the years I have studied and practiced fencing, greco-roman wrestling, muay thai kickboxing, tai chi and SCARS. I like to say I know just enough to be a danger to myself. I know a little about a lot when it comes to CQC but not a lot about about any one thing.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196745 by OB1Shinobi

Tamlane42 wrote: ...I like to say I know just enough to be a danger to myself.

lol yeah i used to say i know just enough to get my ass kicked real good

ive learned since then, but i still say it because, really, thinking otherwise is a good way to get ones ass kicked real good

People are complicated.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196766 by OB1Shinobi

baru wrote: I feel like I have trained in some form of martial arts for most of my life. I taught for about 5.

I like "martial arts". I like the art of moving the body in a martial way. The easy style to name is: Jeet Kune Do because its a philosophy and not a style.

I avoid styles. I like arts!

i feel the same way

"moving the body in a martial way"

to me it is not sincere to train in MA as if it were not meant to address the issue of actual.violence -the things i learn and practice have to have functional practical application

but the real joy is not in the violence at all, but in the movement itself

and to my mind there are only a few systems, really

empty handed fighting is one system - krav maga amd judo and boxing are all specializations within the overall system of EMPTY HANDED FIGHTING or MARTIAL ARTS ect

the term is unimportant

but it doesnt matter to me if i never get in a fight again - mostly i hope that i never do, but i love to train and to learn new things
always have -MA is the one thing ive never stopped loving

People are complicated.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196931 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
Real fight experience trumps training almost eveytime. That is why it is important to spar. Otherwise, how is it not just dancing?

rugadd

More
8 years 9 months ago #196942 by Whyte Horse

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Whyte Horse wrote: One would think that Tai Chi would work for a jedi. Chi is the Chinese word for "life force" and a tai chi master's energy flows from this force. It would also be cool to do a kind of synchretistic martial art that combines the best of all of them rather than just focusing on A or B...

personally if i had to choose between tai chi/qigong or joseph c. i would say tai chi is more important for a jedi

i see it as an energy art more than a definitively martial art - except to say that anything which enhances you as a person will help to improve your martial ability

but i wouldnt tell someone who does tai chi that they are not practicing a martial art if they insisted they were

I thought the same thing until I saw what happened when I was attacked. It turns out that muscle memory becomes reflex and when you get into a real-world fight, your reflexes kick in. So for tai chi practitioners, the movements are actually defensive moves and when sped up to reflex speeds are incredibly useful. In that sense, it's a martial art. We just don't practice it at full speed like all of the other martial arts. It's much easier on the body this way ;)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi