Martial Arts: Your interest?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193554 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?

a67 wrote:

rugadd wrote: Telekinesis?

:dry:

Who might be teaching this?

I am seeking.. I found a place but I said that I am going to heal my chakras first and my kundalini.
I learned that the temple of salomon use that to build it and some special tech too.
I am sure the Force going to show the way.

First post here and on a topic I've been reviewing lately as I'm jumping back into martial arts after dropping it for a while due to limited time and conflicting priorities. I stumbled on "Systema" a Russian form that seems to have a strong esoteric side and appears to be able to do take downs without touching the opponent. I don't know about that but after considering and weighing everything I'll likely take up Savate again (Boxe Francaise and Savate Defense/ Canne). Good holistic and realistic form born in the Paris slums over 200 years ago. Described as the thinking man's combative; graceful, brutal and effective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #193597 by TheDude

rugadd wrote: For those of you interested in lineage (The Dude?) here is mine:

Shi Su Yuan> Shi De Cheng> Wei Jie Huang >Rugadd

I've seen Shi De Cheng's video on youtube teaching kung fu.
It seems to be a nice, flowing style from what I've seen. My own Shaolin learning was a little different. Grandmaster Chian Ho Yin taught what he called Shaolin, when really it was only his base that was in Shaolin; he actually would travel a lot and learn from masters of many different styles.

Unfortunately very few good videos exist of the forms we studied, since the current teachers of his style are more into secrecy, and the ones that aren't are, well, not very good. There is one I found which is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOMHPaJzK4g
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193605 by OB1Shinobi
ryabko/vasiliev systema - from what i have been able to find online - seems to have some pretty good condotioning drills for their students, which is one of the most important part of any MA
on that score they do well

theres some decent combatatives techniques in vasileivs arsenal and they have some bit of talent to their name - sort of - mostly the strongest thing i see in their favor is that there is some sincere desire to legitimize the system

at least superficially

thats really THE BEST thing i can say for sure

i dont belive systema was ever a spetnaz or any other special forces system

sambo is a system originally developed by some part of the russian military

if i were to venture a guess it wouldbe that most of what actually is good in systema orignated in sambo (which originatedfrom other arts, some asian, some not)
really i am very impressed with sambo - its no joke

its interesting to hear some of the systema ideas on the principles of striking but im not convinced they have done anything new

MAYBE they have a new way of explaining

or maybe its all a hustle
i think it started as a hustle but they hustled in some sincere people and now theres effort to make it into something good

i hope it works

and maybe im wrong

savate is great
very good kickboxig system and they have a dedicated full contact competition community - similar to usa boxing or kickboxing if im not mistaken, in thatno one will force you to fight, but the system is a fighting system and youll be exposed to actual fighters

the only drawback to savate is that it is a purely striking style
they dont even clinch

so you may want to cross train in a system that deals with some grappling

with savate as your base you could probably make any of the grappling systems basically effective for you

personally my favorite is japanese jujutsu
also aikijujutsu and hapkido and aikido
then catch wrestling, sambo, judo, and then brazilian jitsu

thats my personal preference but they are all good styles if you get a good school/gym/dojo/dojang/club ect

best wishes to you Johno!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193609 by OB1Shinobi

TheDude wrote:

rugadd wrote: For those of you interested in lineage (The Dude?) here is mine:

Shi Su Yuan> Shi De Cheng> Wei Jie Huang >Rugadd

I've seen Shi De Cheng's video on youtube teaching kung fu.
It seems to be a nice, flowing style from what I've seen. My own Shaolin learning was a little different. Grandmaster Chian Ho Yin taught what he called Shaolin, when really it was only his base that was in Shaolin; he actually would travel a lot and learn from masters of many different styles.

Unfortunately very few good videos exist of the forms we studied, since the current teachers of his style are more into secrecy, and the ones that aren't are, well, not very good. There is one I found which is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOMHPaJzK4g

thats cool man
i dont have the familiarity with chinese styles to speak definitively but when i watched that vid there were several moments that i thought were very likely to be jian or dao techniques

in fact in myimagination he took a sword from one enemy farily early on and then drew his own sword a bit later

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 10 months ago #193841 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
Nice video. Good flow. I know the name of the form, but I was taught something different. Doesn't matter. Shirfu always said shaolin has a thousand leaves.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 10 months ago #193874 by TheDude
This Sunday I'll be showing up to my first HEMA practice! I hope it's as much fun as it looks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193993 by
I'm a 1st degree black belt in Taekwondo. Not the more violent and often more practical ITF from Notrth Korea. I'm a WTF user....more southern Korean Style{WTF is World Taekwondo Federation..mind out of the gutter people!}
I've been training for 19 years..all my life.. and I do teach younger kids the art. Im new here, but if there is a group for it, I would love to join!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196128 by

OB1Shinobi wrote:
savate is great
very good kickboxig system and they have a dedicated full contact competition community - similar to usa boxing or kickboxing if im not mistaken, in thatno one will force you to fight, but the system is a fighting system and youll be exposed to actual fighters

the only drawback to savate is that it is a purely striking style
they dont even clinch

so you may want to cross train in a system that deals with some grappling

with savate as your base you could probably make any of the grappling systems basically effective for you

personally my favorite is japanese jujutsu
also aikijujutsu and hapkido and aikido
then catch wrestling, sambo, judo, and then brazilian jitsu

thats my personal preference but they are all good styles if you get a good school/gym/dojo/dojang/club ect

best wishes to you Johno!

Actually, you are describing "Boxe Francaise", Savate is actually a combination of Boxe Francaise (BF), Savate Defense (Defense dans la Rue) and Canne/Baton. BF is what most people associate Savate with and is famous for it kicks and strikes and currently practiced primarily as a sport that evolved in the 19th century from the kicking styles of Chausson from Marseilles, English Boxing and of all things, Ballet. Bruce Lee was a practitioner and many of his kicking Forms were derived from Savate forms which had been practiced in France in competitive sport since the early 19th century. As a matter of fact it was a British claim that the French were not man enough to fight with fists and used their feet instead! This was from a historical fight between Lecour and the famous Brit Boxer Owen.
Savate Defense which uses street fighting techniques, grappling, knife work and is similar to Krav Maga and was the original street form on Savate that evolved in the Paris slums of the 17th century. It is today used by the French GIGN and Police National as well as the modern Foreign Legion (2REP) in their combatives. Its extremely dirty, no hold barred street fighting. The original form was commercialized by Leboucher in the 1840's.
Canne and Baton are the weapons of choice used traditionally and in modern styles. Canne is also practiced as a sport in France. The practiced came about with the banning of sabres in France. The Gentleman took to walking with a canne as a form of defence. Good practitioners could deliver over 100 strikes a minute to precise targets at the head, elbows and sensitive part of the body.
The Savate I train in combines all three and is holistic and very effective. However it does miss the "esoteric" wisdom of the east but maintains the martial and traditional values of France "le Honneur" ;)

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196143 by OB1Shinobi
ahh ok - thankyou for that explanation; i was under the impression that box francais had rather displaced the grittier street version nationally

i guess it makes perfect sense that this would only be true at the sporting level, thats really great to hear

also now that you mention it i realize i have seen several examples of the cane work over the years

i think my next stop is youtube to get a closer look lol

as for esoteria - my personal opinion is that martial arts and enlightenment have nothing to do with one another

no one achieves enlightenment by practicing war

those who actually practice war can use that practice as a medium for spiritual cultivation, but not by pretending that war will enlighten them

or that "enlightenment" will make one into a warrior

mostly what happens is that people following such things end up not being very good at war or enlightenment, because they were disengenuous about both

so imo i dont worry much if a MA doesnt focus on esoteria

to quote an old swordsmen ;-) "it is bad when one thing becomes two"

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196166 by OB1Shinobi
had to share these

this because it is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35qxelMt6E

and this because i had never heard of several of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yjRY29Mw-8

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi