Martial Arts: Your interest?

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #185744 by rugadd
Who do we have out there who has Martial Arts experience? What do you practice? For how long? Is there a rank? Do you teach? Is this something we can make a Temple Group for?

I have dabbled in sword play, live-action medieval field battles, TKD, and American Boxing. I have studied intently Northern Shaolin Martial Arts for 10 plus years and am currently a teacher.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #185746 by Nicole Judge
Actually I haven't been practicing any of them, but I love martial arts :D I'm planning to start Ninjutsu next year (here in my city there is no opportunity to learn it). I'm also fascinated by mediaval longsword fighting, and Tai-chi. I'm really sorry I didn't have a chance to practice anything, but as I'll be moving next year, at last I'll be able to learn. :)

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #185747 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
there was a thread for this years ago i think...well lets see if i can remember everything i've studied over the years...
starting from the first style to the most recent....karate,tae kwon do, jiu jitsu, renshinkan ryu ninjutsu, kempo, wing chun, fencing, arnis, escrima, shuri te, muay thai, maharlika kuntaw, sento shinkai bujutsu, kendo, and finally a japanese sword art that was a family style taught to me by a friend that learned it from his girlfriends grandfather(who was a retired japanese officer that served in ww2). i have no idea what the name of the style is as i was told it's "the art of the sword"...currently i've blended techniques from all the various styles i've learned and formed my own style.....martial arts kind of runs in the family...i have an uncle with a gold belt in tkd, and 3 black belts, i have a cousin that trains in northern shaolin, my brother in law is a former glolden gloves boxer, his nephew is a current mma fighter, my nephew studied mu duk kwan,and there's me...

i'm fascinated by all forms of martial arts

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #185748 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
I have around 20 years experience in Kenbujutsu, Aikibujutsu, Muay Thai Kickboxing, and knife combat: about 10 years of japanese bo, jo, naginata, and yari; and I have a basic knowledge of escrima, nunchaku, sai, kama, archery, handguns, and Sanbo. I also did Tae Kwon Do for a few years as a kid. I have read some books about various kung fu styles but claim no skill in any of them.

I was teaching the first three I listed for quite some time but the school I was teaching out of closed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #185750 by
When I regain mobility, I would like to study American Boxing and Krav Maga. Two styles that I feel exemplify my fighting philosophy: don't waste time, disable or kill quickly without fuss, emphasis on practical movement rather than positions/movement sets.

I am a large pacifist. Meaning I am a big guy, but I don't like to fight. I find more solace in tai chi and yoga. My internal styles that I practice during my restrained mobility.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #185751 by
Teoul Moon Kung Fu and Tai Chi. Did Karate when I was kid, but that's the extent of it.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #185752 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
as of today i've been studying martial arts for around 31 years and have only trained 3 people (my youngest brother and his friend, and a friend of my other brother)....

my shuri te instructor referred to me as a "static fighter"....i don't do well with sets of moves/forms....but i excel in free form fighting where i can read and react to my opponent...due to this he didn't have me on the kata team but did have me on the sparring team. in 1996 my team mates went to greece to compete as team usa in the competition...i was supposed to go with them but was already stationed overseas by then....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #185753 by OB1Shinobi
formally ive trained in tae-kwon-do, aikido and krav maga

ive solo train boxing and muay thai

most of my life i have lived in violent prone areas and unfortunately associated with people who lived violent lifestyles

ive been homeless for several years and been in and out of jail since about 16 which is almost twenty years

ive been whooped pretty good more times than id like to admit and i guess i won a couple too lol

im going to comminity college in may and they have judo for self defense course which im going to enroll in

i hope to open a gym when i get out of school and it will be essentially a jedi training facility which will be focused on warrior cultivation in general, which views martial arts in a simlar way that the military does as in things like sky diving, navigation, technological competence, mission planning (which applies to everything in life really) and many other individual feilds of study as being relevant

its a scuba course that decided me on going and while i am there i will major in psychology

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #185755 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
Yes...my Temple will have a training area as well.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 weeks ago #185758 by
I study three types of martial arts ... Wing Chung, Tai Chi, and Qi Gong. I could help guide you if you are looking for something but I do not feel that I am qualified yet to teach.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi