Martial Arts: Your interest?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186654 by OB1Shinobi
i think like the jiite or jutte better, with the issue of the point being blunt vs sharpened as the one relative drawback compared to the sai. overall i still like the jiite simply because of the bulk of the sai that ive had experience with; the prongs are too wide for my personal preference

but i agree with the idea of it being an under appreciated tool - very much so

although on that note imo besides the quarterstaff i would say tonfa are the defense ma weapon supreme barring projectiles and firearms

then of course chain weapons like the rope dart or kusarigama are difficult to defend - but theyre difficult to use as well so.. all in all i like the quarterstaff and the tonfa

for swords i prefer well balanced two handed swords like a katana and especially the old school european great sword

just my opinions

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #186669 by a67
Replied by a67 on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?

rugadd wrote: Telekinesis?

:dry:

Who might be teaching this?

I am seeking.. I found a place but I said that I am going to heal my chakras first and my kundalini.
I learned that the temple of salomon use that to build it and some special tech too.
I am sure the Force going to show the way.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186674 by OB1Shinobi
there are a people out there who think they have more chi power than they actually do

some of them open their own schools

there are groups who say they have telekenetic powers but i dont know of any who actually live up to their claims

mostly they are fakes

im not saying the ability doesnt exists

i really hope it does, i will do whatever i have to in order to learn

what i am saying is that if someone wants your money before they will teach you

it does you well to expect them to live up to some pretty good burden of proof measures first

and youre right; the force will show you the way

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: a67

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #186677 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?

OB1Shinobi wrote: there are a people out there who think they have more chi power than they actually do

some of them open their own schools

there are groups who say they have telekenetic powers but i dont know of any who actually live up to their claims

mostly they are fakes

im not saying the ability doesnt exists

i really hope it does, i will do whatever i have to in order to learn

what i am saying is that if someone wants your money before they will teach you

it does you well to expect them to live up to some pretty good burden of proof measures first

and youre right; the force will show you the way

always be wary of a martial arts "master" claiming some secret knowledge....a good teacher holds no secrets from their students...

and i've never been fond of teaching for profit....i understand what leads people to doing it, and i don't condemn it...i'm just not comfortable doing it....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186681 by OB1Shinobi
@ryujin
i agree with the spirit of that
the difficulty is because of our social structure -the underlying thought is that everything comes to money; definitely my landlord is not going to take kickboxing lessons in exchange for rent lol

and i want to open a martial arts gym eventually - this is not so much with me or anyone as "the master" or anything like that but rather open to everyone to share what we already know and to expolore what we dont

i am totally willing to do this for free but i want to put most of my time into it and make it the main thing in my life - so obviously i have to.do it an a way that i can put my kids through college (if i ever get to that point) and make sure my wife has a car that gets her where she needs to be (lol again; if i ever get to that point)

so i have come to belive that what i need to do is find a way to do the things i really love so that in that process i am generating the means to support myself and eventually a family

it sucks that this can be interpreted as cheapening my Way but i cannot help that - i dont want to spend most of my time on things that are NOT my Way just so that i can afford to spend a few hours a week on what Is my Way

like really im not going to do it
i would rather live in a cave in the mountains like musashi lol than build a life around something other than my Way

also i hope i didnt drive you guys crazy with the repeated use of the word "Way" lol

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

More
8 years 11 months ago #186685 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
I do not want to build my life around a "way" that is not my way either.

That is some heavy stuff right there for me.

Thanks.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186688 by steamboat28
I started a new thread to respond to RyuJin's feelings about "secrets" here .
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by steamboat28.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #186695 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
if you want to see a pretty good tkd movie watch "the fist foot way" with danny mcbride...he plays a 4th dan instructor....his friend in the movie (a 5th dan) reminds me of my uncle(whom was a gold belt) in terms of behavior...the main character reminds me of my shuri-te instructor....i'm a bit curious as to whether all instructors eventually end up behaving like them.....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #186784 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
yes, I love Martial arts. I do feel that if everyone studied MA, the world would be a safer, happy and kinder world.

I like Mixed or Integrated Martial Arts. I call my style "martial arts" or the Art of martial practices, lol.

I do feel that to be a jedi a person needs to study, comprehend or support the practice of martial arts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #187212 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?
I just earned my Yellow Belt (5th Rokkyu) in Ultimate Kenpo. Ultimate Kenpo is a mix of Karate, Kung Fu, and Jui jitsu. I have been studying it since the end of January.

I am also fascinated with swords, cane fighting, and archery.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi