Lucas Film intel

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8845 by
Lucas Film intel was created by
Master Kyp from TOTJF sent me this message to share with the members here.

\"I have been warned by one of my contacts that LFL is cracking down on copywright infringement related websites and forums, especially if there's even a HINT of financial gain. C&D orders are hitting the fan base at an alarming rate, mainly for those who have over-stepped the freedoms granted to us by Lucas. Might want to warn the TOTJO to take the donation box off and silence all talks about donations/money if they want to stay up.\"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8846 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lucas Film intel
Justice wrote:

\"I have been warned by one of my contacts that LFL is cracking down on copywright infringement related websites and forums, especially if there's even a HINT of financial gain. C&D orders are hitting the fan base at an alarming rate, mainly for those who have over-stepped the freedoms granted to us by Lucas. Might want to warn the TOTJO to take the donation box off and silence all talks about donations/money if they want to stay up.\"

We appreciate your concern but unlike TOTJF we are a bona fide church and do not make any profit. Mr. Lucas has never sued a church so if and when he sues us it will make history and set legal president. The amicus curia briefs will flood in and we'd have the support of most churches, multiple foundations, attorneys as well as The American Civil Liberties Union to say the least.

And then there's CNN; my dream come true.

I doubt Mr. Lucas would try and go after a church but if that is our destiny I welcome it. It'd be fun.

MTFBWYA

Lord Maleficus
President, Temple Of The Jedi Order

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 5 months ago #8847 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Lucas Film intel
Justice wrote:

What is LFL? And what copyright infringements do you mean?

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8848 by
LFL = Lucas Films Limited and I guess it's because we use the word Jedi. We are a church. The First Amendment protects us on this one though and trumps a trademark.

M (Br. John)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8849 by
Darth Maleficus wrote:

Justice wrote:

We appreciate your concern but unlike TOTJF we are a bona fide church and do not make any profit. Mr. Lucas has never sued a church so if and when he sues us it will make history and set legal president. The amicus curia briefs will flood in and we'd have the support of most churches, multiple foundations, attorneys as well as The American Civil Liberties Union to say the least.

And then there's CNN; my dream come true.

I doubt Mr. Lucas would try and go after a church but if that is our destiny I welcome it. It'd be fun.

MTFBWYA

Lord Maleficus
President, Temple Of The Jedi Order

I too have to doubt that Mr. Lucas would see a small online church as any sort of problem. We are fully and legally incorporated as a church and not one single person who \"works\" here is paid for anything. We just do it because it has to be done and we feel called by the Force to fulfill that need.

~Br. Tom
Servant of the Servants of the Force

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8857 by
Just passing on the information relayed to me. Master Kyp made a like post at TOTJF. Just because a threat doesn't seem credible, doesn't make it any less a threat. If the Board feels we are covered and have nothing to worry about, then so be it. I just felt it was something that deserved our attention as protectors of this Order. Any threat, great or small, likely or unlikely, deserves our attention.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 5 months ago #8858 by Jon
Jon wrote:

Justice wrote:

What is LFL? And what copyright infringements do you mean?

Bump

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8859 by
Justice wrote:

Just passing on the information relayed to me. Master Kyp made a like post at TOTJF. Just because a threat doesn't seem credible, doesn't make it any less a threat. If the Board feels we are covered and have nothing to worry about, then so be it. I just felt it was something that deserved our attention as protectors of this Order. Any threat, great or small, likely or unlikely, deserves our attention.

I was not ragging on you but on the notion of the threat. Certainly you would report such a thing and we have nothing to worry about. TOTJF is not a church and not even a non-profit organization but a business - that's the difference.

John

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8860 by
No offense was taken. I'm just a firm believer in CYA.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 5 months ago #8861 by Jon
Sorry for insisting, but I would appreciate if someone could answer my questions? So that I can understand a little better.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi