Lucas Film intel

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8862 by
Replied by on topic Re:Lucas Film intel
Darth Maleficus wrote:

LFL = Lucas Films Limited and I guess it's because we use the word Jedi. We are a church. The First Amendment protects us on this one though and trumps a trademark.

M (Br. John)

Hans, He Did...you;re not going back far enough. Read the Quote

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 5 months ago #8863 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Lucas Film intel
Twsoundsoff wrote:

Darth Maleficus wrote:

LFL = Lucas Films Limited and I guess it's because we use the word Jedi. We are a church. The First Amendment protects us on this one though and trumps a trademark.

M (Br. John)

Hans, He Did...you;re not going back far enough. Read the Quote

Ah yes! Now I understand. Thank you both (Tom & Br.John). Sorry Br.John for not having seen this earlier.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8870 by
It's his people making a big deal outta it...George doesn't see religious Jedi as any threat whatsoever. He finds us fascinating and he's actually REALLY proud that he's THAT more famous because of the Jedi, and people who follow their path. His team gets their panites in a bunch about anyone sneezing and sounding like they said Star Wars and don't pay them money. George doesn't worry himself with trivial things like that, he's to wrapped up in Indian Jones right now.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8882 by
I doubt that we'd be sued- it's pretty well a commonly know thing that most churches make zero in the profit department. and in any case you can't get blood out of a turnip anyway- I don't think any of us has the money to make it worth anyone's time to sue.

just a thought, why don't we find a way to contact Lucas and make a formal introduction between us and him. he is the man who coined the term \"Jedi\" after all. I would think he would be interested in meeting us. If i created a multi-billion dollar franchise like Star Wars and found there was a religion based in my creations roots I'd be very intrigued.
in any case it would be polite and who knows he may fully endorse us.

the man isn't an ogre that some people who've been sued for copyright infringement would lead us to believe. He's just an artist and a story teller (not to mention- lets face it a merchandising genius).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8884 by
stevef wrote:

I doubt that we'd be sued- it's pretty well a commonly know thing that most churches make zero in the profit department. and in any case you can't get blood out of a turnip anyway- I don't think any of us has the money to make it worth anyone's time to sue.

just a thought, why don't we find a way to contact Lucas and make a formal introduction between us and him. he is the man who coined the term \"Jedi\" after all. I would think he would be interested in meeting us. If i created a multi-billion dollar franchise like Star Wars and found there was a religion based in my creations roots I'd be very intrigued.
in any case it would be polite and who knows he may fully endorse us.

the man isn't an ogre that some people who've been sued for copyright infringement would lead us to believe. He's just an artist and a story teller (not to mention- lets face it a merchandising genius).

One of the reasons we incorporated is that our members have rights and are protected by law from being liable for the debts of The Order unless the member is on the Management Committee and the manager has broken a law.

We have the right to issue member ID cards and grant religious degrees.

Mr. Lucas could seek relief in equity, that is have the court order us to do or stop doing something. If we were not a church and if he cared he would sue to make us strike the word Jedi from our name.

We are a church so the issue involves freedom of religion and a constitutional right trumps a trademark for our purposes.

By definition we cannot make a profit but many churches are profitable but the money can only be used for specific purposes. We can have paid employees and pay the directors stipends but we don't.

The thought of contacting George Lucas has come up before. My instinct say not to do it because I assure you he does know about us and has browsed this site. It is thoughtful though and are you surprised he knows about us?

Google Jedi Temple and look what happens.

Go to Alexa.com and check our rank.

MTFBWY,

M (Br. John+)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8890 by
I really agree and think no one will care as we are a religion and it's not like we are making money or hurting anyone anywhere. Quite the opposite.

i also very agree Lucas or rather his people most certainly know of us. Not surprising at all considering we're the worst kept secret on the net. lol.

i think your feelings may be right in not contacting him, there is wisdom in letting sleeping dogs lie as it were.
maybe if LFL is on a hunt and we get targeted we might want to change our approach and contact Lucas, like i said he isn't an ogre and he would likely see the good and tell his people to drop it.

the other line of thought is maybe he needs us to reach the olive branch of peace. it seems odd that given the fact he knows he hasn't posted anything. if you were Lucas wouldn't you?

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 5 months ago #8899 by Jon
I think I remember an interview where this issue was brought up. And he didn`t seem to be interested in starting a religion or faith.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 5 months ago #8900 by Jon
Jon wrote:

I think I remember an interview where this issue was brought up. And he didn`t seem to be interested in starting a religion or faith.

In fact he didn`t want to take anything away from the traditional Churches!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8902 by
i recall him saying something of the sort as well, now that you mention it. I belive it was some PBS sort of special as I recall.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #8912 by

it seems odd that given the fact he [George Lucas] knows he hasn't posted anything. if you were Lucas wouldn't you?

Not in my real name. His lawyers I know advise him not too; I would. Stephen King reads the newsgroup about him all the time and sometimes makes a post but never under his real name.

If his attorneys were foolish enough to sue us it would be my dream come true and possibly go the the Supreme Court. It would make them look bad and we would have many powerful organizations backing us up.

The publicity would give us so many members ....

M (Br. John):laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi