Wearing a hood?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #50263 by
Replied by on topic Re: Wearing a hood?
I found this answer on an etiquette site.

"It's similar to why men tipped their hats back in the old days and I believe it carried on from there. It was a sign of respect showing you were clean and didn't have any bugs! I'm dead serious, quit laughing! Don't forget back int he old days, that is why men tipped their hats to women and removed their hats inside. Men also wore things like top hats, bowlers,etc and the comfort lever was not that of a baseball caps. It's considered rude because hats are meant to be casual or for warmth."

The rule of etiquette have changed as did the generations. Just remember that while in the house or business of another person, respect for them is such a minor inconvenience for you, and makes your host or hostess feel more respected. You also have to remember that in this day of rampant crime, hiding your face with a hood or hat is a sure sign your up to no good. At least that is the perception of the others.

We are Jedi, I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console.

Such an easy way to make people feel at ease.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50266 by
I'm not an expert on Jediism, but I do know that Daniel Jones' Church of Jediism encourages its members to wear hoods, and I remember when the aforementioned controversy happened, as I was corresponding with Mr. Jones online during that time period.

I don't know a whole lot about Jediism, but I am a Jedi (two different things; take cognizance of this), and I can give the Jedi answer, although I'll leave it up to the TOTJO masters to give the TOTJO's stance on the matter.

The canonical Jedi wore the robes as a symbol of their humility and lack of material possessions (their lightsaber was to be considered their only and most prized possession). Look at the clothes that Luke, Owen, and Beru wear, and then look at the clothing of the Jedi; pretty similar. A better example would be the kind of clothing common around the Galaxy in the KOTOR games. Jedi just avoided materialism and fashion in favor of humility. The hood or the cloak were not an integral part of the costume, and could be taken off when appropriate, necessary, or simply when the Jedi willed. When needed, it was worn.

I myself don't own the full costume, and if/when I do, it will only be for special occasions. I am saving up for my first lightsaber (which has powerful symbolism and therefore is sort of necessary), but I will not wear it regularly.

More
12 years 2 months ago #50281 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Wearing a hood?

Star Forge wrote: ...

I don't know a whole lot about Jediism, but I am a Jedi (two different things; take cognizance of this), and I can give the Jedi answer, although I'll leave it up to the TOTJO masters to give the TOTJO's stance on the matter.

Star Forge comes up with some compelling topics and I hope he'll keep at it.

I'm not in the business of telling people they are not real Jedi. The Order is not in the business of telling people they are not real Jedi.

Apparently Star Forge has come up with a formula that says who and who's not a Jedi and is claiming that authority. He's welcome to explain it here.

As best as I can remember the word Jediist was first coined by a member here years ago as a technical term meaning Real Jedi so as to make it clear that one was not speaking of the fictional Jedi. We usually just say Jedi with the Real being understood. Star Forge is saying that we at TOTJO are Jediist but not Jedi. That's the same as saying we're real Jedi but we're not real Jedi.

:huh:

Founder of The Order

More
12 years 2 months ago #50283 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Wearing a hood?
I reckon a real Jedi is a Jediist first and a Jedi second ;)

As its through the Force that the Jedi in the movie achieve everything, and its the study of the Force which this Temple concerns itself with.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #50296 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Wearing a hood?
I've said this in chat but I figure it will do good to post it here too.

Wearing a hood in a public place I believe should not be advocated because of at least two reasons.

1. It makes the individual conspicuous. Stores get robbed (for example) with hoods, as the hoods help to conceal the criminal's identity.

2. I feel somebody like a Jedi should always have their peripheral vision open and aware while in public in case of anything that should happen around them that they need to be aware of. A hood may block peripheral vision and hinder the Jedi.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50303 by
I don't think Yoda ever wore a hood... and no body is higher than him in the SW Jedi council, no one can say that he was'nt a SW Jedi. Hoods are usefull when it rain, in rituals, to hide our "super mysterious secret identity when in dangerous missions" and to hide a bad haircut... but nothing more. A Jedi is'nt less Jedi because not wearing a hood :lol:

BTW i wear a hood real often because it's -20*c outside and because my hair is long and messy. But i'm not the kind of person who like to hide himself from others... how a light can shine if you hide it under a hood?... ;)

Jedi-jediist Ausar

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50304 by
Shakespeare said "clothes maketh the man", a phrase I agree with on one level and disagree with on another. I agree that a person will often be judged by what they wear and in terms of respect it is a simple thing to dress in such a way as to cause no offence. Personally however, I do not agree with judging a person by the way they dress and feel a person should be free to wear what they like.

The wearing of a raised hood in public has become symbolic in today's culture with offensive behaviour and crime and as Jedi I believe that we would not want to cause discomfort or fear in others. I wear hooded tops and jackets myself but only raise the hood for practical reasons like when it is raining or very cold. I think to wear a raised hood at any other time is not worth the risk of unnecessarily intimidating others.

This may seem strange but this discussion has also led to me considering my hair as I usually have it closely cropped for ease rather than anything else. This, however, may make me appear more intimidating to others, as once again the shaved head generally gets a bad press in todays culture, so I think I will start to maintain it at a longer length. Any tips on the latest fashionable short hairstyles would be much appreciated!

The Force will be with you, always.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #50309 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Wearing a hood?
The bad guys are the ones who love wearing their hood. both in real life and Star Wars :D

Also, about removing hats: I like it better when people remove them as well as facial coverings. Heads are fragile and faces show pretty much everything that happens behind them. I find it a great mark of respect to show one's face/head and that's also why I hate the letterbox women.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50319 by

Psyddhattha wrote: This may seem strange but this discussion has also led to me considering my hair as I usually have it closely cropped for ease rather than anything else. This, however, may make me appear more intimidating to others, as once again the shaved head generally gets a bad press in todays culture, so I think I will start to maintain it at a longer length. Any tips on the latest fashionable short hairstyles would be much appreciated!

If you're willing to shave the beard as well you would probably look good with something like this.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50323 by

Proteus wrote: 1. It makes the individual conspicuous. Stores get robbed (for example) with hoods, as the hoods help to conceal the criminal's identity.

Something you might like to look into is the banning of burkas

Everyone is entitled to wear what they wish, within reason, for as long as they don't intentionally offend others of course

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/12/canada-man-in-muslim-womans-garb-robs-bank.html

But in some cases what you're wearing has to be taken off

It isn't discriminating against you, it is just for security purposes

If you say a motorcyclist has to remove a helmet in a bank because of security issues but then allow a muslim, or Jedi, to wear something that might also cover their face for religious reasons then you are discriminating against the motorcyclist and implying that he is a robber

We do not have the right to wear what we want all the time

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi