Wearing a hood?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50227 by
Replied by on topic Re: Wearing a hood?
I always wear a hood. Without it my head might float off.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50231 by
Why is a hood even important at all?

Some fictional people with a similar name in a made up universe wore them I suppose...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50239 by
In 2009, Daniel Jones, the founding member of the "International Church of Jediism" (UK), was asked to leave a grocery store for refusing to remove his hood. It passed at the TV news...

There's some Orders/churchs who think that wearing hoods might prevent them to attract bad energies and to keep their energies... But i'm pagan since ~20 years, and i never heard of magic hoods doing such things. If it's to "respect" the SW movies and to act as a SW Jedi, SW Jedi don't wear hoods all the time, in fact they wore hoods real rarely through the movies (i think Yoda never wore a hood).

To me, the lightsabers (as swords, not as SW props) have greater significations (while not being necessary, + personnaly i'm a martial artist, weapons do have high significations to me). Hoods are just cool looking... and maybe adding a little touch of "mystery" in rituals.

IRL, i wear a hood when it's raining/snowing, when my hair is messy, after the hairstylists totaly ruined my hair as usual, and maybe in private ceremonies... but that's it. There's no magical hoods.

MTFBWY
Ausar :)

More
12 years 2 months ago #50246 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Wearing a hood?
A hood's good when its raining, really sunny, or really cold, those don't happen much indoors. :S

I can see them being used ritually to enable meditation, but I'd imagine being in school is not the place to be shutting away the outside world.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50252 by

Ausar wrote: In 2009, Daniel Jones, the founding member of the "International Church of Jediism" (UK), was asked to leave a grocery store for refusing to remove his hood. It passed at the TV news...

i read this in the news and it was what had got me looking into the religion before that i didnt know about jediism.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50253 by
I like clothes that have a hood. However I find that I rarely use the hood.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50254 by
I personally do not believe a hood is necessary, however it is a cool addition. I personally do not own jedi robes or anything of the sort, so, this arguement does not really affect me as of now. However, I do own many lightsaber replicas, katanas and other weaponry. While wearing a hood can be practical and while carrying other things on one's person is also neat, it shoulld not be necessary for us as of yet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50259 by
I do plan to have a robe and hood one day, but it'd only be used at home or for Halloween. Just because the Jedi of Star Wars used them, doesn't mean we have to. If memory serves me right, Obi-Won is the only one who wore his hood multiple times through the films. I remember Qui-Gon wearing it at the beginning of Ep1 and Anikin at the end of Ep3 after he became a sith, but that was pretty much it. I could be wrong, i'd have to go back to all the council scenes and see if any of the other Masters wore them.

I have nothing against those who want to wear them in public, but it's when it causes trouble that I begin to have an issue (like with Mr. Jones). A Jedi is peaceful and observes the rules and laws around them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50260 by
If I am remembering mt etiquette, a hat or hood should not be worn inside. It is worn for inclimate weather or sunny weather but either way it is OK to wear them outside.

A hood was also used by outlaws and heroes to hide their identity until time to reveal themselves. Such was the case with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, hiding their identity as Jedi from the Trade federation until they were in the presents of the leaders of the blockade.

If I also remember correctly, a hood also represents the covering of the individual during ceremonies to signify the loss of individual ego to the collective body of the religious order. The Jedi would, I think, fall into this ideology.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50262 by

Phortis Nespin wrote: If I am remembering my etiquette, a hat or hood should not be worn inside.

I've never understood the reasoning behind this, and I disagree with it. To me, a hat or hood is just another item of clothing. I don't see how it has anything to do with respect. I know that in the Christian church there is some symbolism behind why you shouldn't, but i've never been much for symbolism (I own nothing with a cross or fish on it, and I haven't taken communion in years).

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi