More then ever, this world needs a Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42818 by
Hi Amrathelion Kelosi

Agreed that being selfish isn’t a good thing. And just to clarify, I am not really OK with the notion either as it has a lot to answer for, but here is a scenario that might explain what I am saying better.

Let’s say that I wanted the world to be peaceful and harmonious because I would directly benefit from it and I only cared for how it would make me feel, but I wanted it none the less. My reasons for wanting it may not be great, but if it was achieved the outcome would still be good and many would benefit from this including myself, even if I didn’t care about the others.

I also think there is a big difference between the different factors that can make a person selfish. In terms of self preservation humans become very selfish indeed, the survival instinct is extremely selfish, but understandably so otherwise it simply wouldn’t work.

When greed is the source of being selfish it usually implies either taking something from someone else or preventing them from fulfilling a need even if their need is morally greater than yours.

If I am a major share holder in a big company and I want a bigger return on my investment often companies will lay off staff and double the workload of those who remain. I would technically be fine if the company made the same amount of money as the previous year, but I want more and don’t really care about the way this happens. My greed is making me selfish, my greed will drive the company to ruin and impact the lives of many people, but if I sell my stock will it’s still up and then move on to the next company I am making a profit. This type of selfish greed is driving the world onto the brink of catastrophe.

Greed can make people act in a selfish manner, people will hurt others, even kill them.

To be fair I think you and I are talking about the same thing but just view the problem from different angles so I would definitely say that being selfish is a problem, but my point is that we should be looking at what makes people selfish. Take away the root cause and you take away the symptom.

I enjoyed your post and I think it made some excellent points.

K

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #42819 by
I serve the Force, The Universal Spirit. By doing so, We are able to help others in their struggles. Be it physical help, spiritual guidence, or maybe life council.... Sometimes, there are events that cause us to physically defend. We, as jedi, should be all of these. Guardian, friend, counselor, priest, diplomat.
We should strive to live a life of UNSELFISH LOVE. Everyone can understand the healing and good that comes from kindness,compassion,caring,giving, and harmlessness. Those are the virtues of Unselfish Love- the things that really matter. They are also the utlimate keys of returning to and being in harmony with the Force.
We should love all. I love you brother, I'd like to live in peace with you, and have you love me too, regardless of what we believe or don't believe. As long as we don't hurt each other, and we help each other when in need, who cares what "beliefs" we have-religious,political,moral,or whatever. I believe that is what is most important, because I know that Unselfish Love is ALWAYS beneficial. That is one of my beliefs, and I think it's something we should be able to univerally agree upon. I can. Can you? Will you? What can it hurt? Nothing. What can it help? A great many things, like peace and kindness. So if you do not believe the ideas I put forth, I hope it will not matter to you that I do- as long as I am a Loving, Kind-acting, Caring-thinking, harmless person. Simlarly, what matters to me about you, or anyone else, is not really what you think or believe, what religion you belong to, or if you're an atheist, but how you conduct yourself. What matters to me is whether or not you are a Loving, Kind-acting,Caring-thinking,harmless person. Unfortunately, a person's beliefs do greatly influence how they think and act though.
While I'm on the subject of belief, I want to take a closer look at it: I think that regardless of whether or not you believe it, your beliefs control your destiny, so they need to be closely scrutinized for what they create in your life. What you think and believe greatly affect wheter or not you are a saint, an evil monster, and everything in between (like a somewhat kind person, or a somewhat mean person).
It's a paradox in a way. It doesnt really matter what beliefs a person has, as long as the beliefs they have yield those virtues of unselfish love I just mentioned above. But their belief may yield those virtues, or yield harm and evil. Beliefs have a dominant and powerful effect on every aspect of our lives! People even kill over beliefs.
Religious beliefs are frequently based on faith, and they are most often something we are "taught to believe" early in life, by our family's religious beliefs and religion. Other beliefs are absorbed also, from our cultures.
People dont usually stop and think about the fact that something as seemingly "innocuous and insubstantial" as mere "beliefs", really have much effect on our lives. But they do- in fact, they do not only have tremendous effects on our lives, but they also control much of our destiny.
A belief itself is but an idea, it has no real substance. But we act based upon our beliefs. The actions we take because of our beliefs, have effects. And only the effects, the results, of those actions, are things we can see, feel, and grasp. This is very important to realize. Because the effects of our actions, which result from our beliefs, are precisely the things that can be used to determine the value,good or bad, of any given belief. For instance, if you are kind to me because you believe we are all brothers and sisters, your kind actions are something real, something we can both know is good. Kind actions are transcendent of language, culture, and whatever you or I maye believe is spiritual truth. Likewise, if you are cruel to me because of a belief, I will know it is a bad belief. These are obvious examples of course, and the results of many beliefs may not be so clear cut. Nevertheless, ALL beliefs subsequently generate their own "thoughts" and "actions", Good or Bad.
Unselfishly Loving is a belief I have. Caring about others, compassion, and kindness are qualities of Unselfish Love. If these are things we can all agree are good, then Unselfish Love can be used as a common, or Universal, measuring stick of goodness. And if Unselfish Love is a result of true spirituality. Such a measuring stick can be used to compare the manisfestations of any belief, and thus compare the value of any belief.
Ren, my friend. I have been on both ends of the spectrum. I lived in darkness for a long while, and did horrible things. Because I was SELFISH.
Now, I try to live by my belief in Unselfish Love. To be kind, and compassionate. To demonstrate these qualities in my every action and thought, all day, everyday. That is all.

What do you do for others?
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by . Reason: Typos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42834 by
I'm living down there next week with some a sith and two buddhas lol true story!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42836 by
"the religion of atlantis"/"Different Points of View: Universal Consciousness and Separate Consciousness"

You are accomplished and brilliant without the confusing borrowing. be yourself you are much better than you think. and your stuff is WAY too wordy, when communicating make your point... leave the talking to those who have nothing to say.

May The Force guide you

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #42856 by ren

What do you do for others?

I spend more than half my resources in investmensts in zimbabwe.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42870 by

ren wrote:

Coryduran wrote: I think your definition of selfish is far too broad. Here is an actual definition of selfish

devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

I don't think that in my owning a TV or a laptop is at all selfish. Living in an apartment or having clothes does not make me selfish. Nor does my cheap car and phone. Were these material possessions and my own lifestyle the only things I cared about, then yes I would be selfish.

You also do not need to give up all possessions to be selfless, again I feel like you have the definitions of these words wrong.

I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, but I can't disagree more with what you're saying.

yet, you acquired this car, TV and laptop for selfish reasons. More specifically, your personal comfort and entertainment. You could have spent this resources feeding a couple of guys for life in some african dump. But you didn't. Your comfort and entertainment mattered more at the time. You worked your ass off, and you treated yourself as a result. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's OK, that you shouldn't feel like shit about it, but at the same time, at least, that you be honest with yourself instead of being in denial like most other people.

The fact that someone wants a comfortable life does not make them a selfish individual though. By that reasoning the fact that I ate in the last 48 hours makes me a selfish individual. I would disagree. I feel like we all have selfish moments, without a doubt, there is selfishness inside of you, but that does not make you a selfish person. A karmic idea of the sums of our actions. If the sum of my actions is more selfish than selfless, than yes you could call me a selfish individual, but I do not feel that this is the case. Having a few moments of selfishness in a life full of selflessness does not make you selfish.

I'm not in denial about having done selfish acts, but if you claim that I am a selfish person, I would deny that any time.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi