Public
12 years 7 months ago #42746 by
So, what can be done?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42748 by

Amrathelion Kelosi wrote: So, what can be done?

Education and awareness are our greatest weapons. I do not think that people are inherently immoral. They might look out for themselves, but I think when it comes down to it there is always something that they won't do or later regret doing.

That is the part of their minds that we nurture and from that we stop these actions from happening.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42749 by
I agree, to a point. People may not be immoral, but that is, in my opinion, a product of social programming. To my observations people are naturally selfish. Look at toddlers and you will see what I mean. A child will sneak snacks to satisfy its sweet tooth, have no qualms about beating up another child in order to get the toy that the other child has, young children will lie to cover up something they know will get them in trouble and of course, they have temper tantrums when they don't get what they want.

Look around us, that selfishness extends to adult life and the world has been shaped by greed and corruption. No longer does humanity truly love each other. To the contrary, man kind cares about the individual. Not many people realize that we are ALL part of ONE. We are the same... Even in the terms of science, EVERYTHING in reality is made up of the exact same thing... the ever powerful, yet miniscule atom. When we war, when we fight, rape, steal, pillage and plunder. When we act in any sort of selfish manner. We are doing it to OURSELVES...Think about it.
I probably strayed from the subject matter, that seems to happen a lot to me. Something takes over and before I know it. I've made some sort of point. Anyway, education and awareness are indeed our greatest weapon. I agree with you on that. But, speaking from personal experience, given the right means, we will all willingly fall into darkness. Why? Because we can. Because we are all inherently selfish.
On the flip side of that. We are ALL Universally Conscious. We all have the capability to transcend the "selfish seperate self" and Achieve Oneness with The Force (Universal Spirit, God, whatever you call it.) But in order to do that, we must essentially "kill" the selfish seperate self. More on that some other time. That is all.

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. Basically, it's made up of two separate words — "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind. "-Jack Handey

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #42752 by ren

No longer does humanity truly love each other.

You are mistaken. They never did love one another. That's why freedom had to be invented. The right not to do what others tell you to do. And there's a lot more work to be done on that.
Selfishness, greed and corruption aren't even on the agenda.. Wanting more is in our very nature. Without that, we would not even have made it to "caveman". Drawbacks vs. advantages? So far I'd say we're doing OK.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42753 by
You said it yourself friend "Wanting more is in our very nature" that IS selfishness. Here's what I've come to understand. SELFISHNESS is the cause of every problem the world has faced. Think about it. War? Selfishness. Theft? Selfishness. Adultery? Selfishness. Genocide? Corporate takeover? Economic collapse? Selfishness. See the trend? That is all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42754 by

ren wrote: That's why freedom had to be invented.

Freedom was never invented. It was only ever taken away and then given back again.

I agree we are progressing as a world though we still have far to go.

Each individual pursuing their own self interest is the ideal goal of society. My self interest is to learn about the world and myself and to benefit both in turn.

Do what makes you happy, but harm none in the process.

I may not like what other people pursue but I will gladly defend their right to pursue it!

That I think is at the core of what I consider Jediism.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #42777 by ren

Freedom was never invented. It was only ever taken away and then given back again.

It was in the context of society. Where there is no society, there is no problem of lack of freedom because there's no-one to tell you what you can or cant do !

You said it yourself friend "Wanting more is in our very nature" that IS selfishness. Here's what I've come to understand. SELFISHNESS is the cause of every problem the world has faced. Think about it. War? Selfishness. Theft? Selfishness. Adultery? Selfishness. Genocide? Corporate takeover? Economic collapse? Selfishness. See the trend? That is all.

I do not disagree with this. What I am saying is that this selfishness was always there. And that it is thanks to that desire to have more that society has been built and advances been made (for all). Hence the "Drawbacks vs. advantages? So far I'd say we're doing OK. "

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42780 by
Hi All,

New to this place, I noticed this topic and it caught my interest.

Amrathelion Kelosi wrote:
"You said it yourself friend "Wanting more is in our very nature" that IS selfishness"

I understand what you are trying to say, but I think it’s important that we clarify the difference between desire and selfish desire.

Selfish desire can be destructive, self serving and potentially harmful to others, where as a strong desire for the greater good can be of benefit to many. To add to that, even selfish desire can yield positivity. Good can come of evil and vice versa.

I think the real problem in today’s world is greed, and we have a western society that not only has greed that is out of control, but the feeling is capped by a general feeling that this acquisition of material wealth is not just earned but actually a right, which it is clearly not. Too many people want something for nothing.
Ultimately people are filling a void of some sort and it is clear that we have lost something along the way.

Do I think that void is religion? Honestly… no. But what we are doing is becoming more isolated, more cut off from the world around us. And I think it is this detachment from the world around us that is causing us to lose our moral compass with regards to how we interact with our fellow beings and even the planet as a whole.

Not meant as an arguement per se, but more as a contribution to the discussion. :)

All the best
K

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #42789 by Jestor
Not Selfishness...

Animal-istic....

This is us, with no moral compass...

As adults, it is up to us to teach these "moral lessons" to our offspring....

Like a lioness teaches her cubs....

Then, they become less animal, more devine... They learn sharing, and caring, and how to get along in a social group, hopefully...;)

Animal, less animal/more man, man, less man/more devine, define.....

This is what we are striving for, right? The qualities of Buddha, Jesus, Allah?

Freedom was given away...

Instead of people taking it upon themselves to get involved/stay involved with each other, we created "rules" or "laws", and put people in charge of them....

Or so I think...;)...

Remember my disclaimer at the bottom... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42791 by

Jestor wrote: Not Selfishness...

Animal-istic....

This is us, with no moral compass...

As adults, it is up to us to teach these "moral lessons" to our offspring....

Absolutely, a moral compass is not a skill/notion that we are born with, this is taught/learned.

K

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi