saber hilts

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4916 by
Replied by on topic Re:saber hilts
I wonder just exactly what does one practice with these \"swords\"? Do any of you have any martial arts experience or do you just wing it?
While I commend your efforts to train... I can only hope that you are training properly. Bad habits are hard to break.

2 cents worth...

I saw somewhere a recommended Jedi training drill where the Jedi buys him or herself a toy light saber from Wal-Mart, and has someone shoot nerf bullets at them and block them as they come in. This is the most absurd thing I ever saw! First of all, no one is going to be shooting anything at you that COULD BE blocked by a plastic sabre... secondly, while this drill MIGHT be good for reflex, training in such a manner will also make you \"fight\" in a similar manner... (muscle memory) Please my brethren, dont waste your time on such... things.

If it's all just for fun.. to each his own I guess, but Jedi need to be training and learning things of importance.

sorry to be negative... but I'm also a realist.

Rick,
Tsukimaster

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4919 by
tsukimaster wrote:

I wonder just exactly what does one practice with these \"swords\"? Do any of you have any martial arts experience or do you just wing it?
While I commend your efforts to train... I can only hope that you are training properly. Bad habits are hard to break.

2 cents worth...

I saw somewhere a recommended Jedi training drill where the Jedi buys him or herself a toy light saber from Wal-Mart, and has someone shoot nerf bullets at them and block them as they come in. This is the most absurd thing I ever saw! First of all, no one is going to be shooting anything at you that COULD BE blocked by a plastic sabre... secondly, while this drill MIGHT be good for reflex, training in such a manner will also make you \"fight\" in a similar manner... (muscle memory) Please my brethren, dont waste your time on such... things.

If it's all just for fun.. to each his own I guess, but Jedi need to be training and learning things of importance.

sorry to be negative... but I'm also a realist.

Rick,
Tsukimaster

Whew, Negative is right. The majority of us have martial arts training my friend. I am packing a 2nd degree blackbelt in taekwondo and I know most everyone else has similar training. I tell you what though...I hadn't heard that idea od yours but i like it...sounds like loads of fun...oh and These Hilts are more ceremonial than functional...part of the dress.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4922 by
Rick, I can't say I've heard of the nerf thing until you posted it. I actually found it very funny. The hilts I make are for display or if the person wants, costuming. They are for show. There is nothing functional at all about them. No plastic blades, no electronics. Mind you, being almost a 1 1/2 lbs of solid aluminum does make it a hefty club.....
Anyway, I too, like Master Whiteman, have a back ground in Tae Kwon Do, but also in Inshini-ryu Karate. Plus the stuff the USAF taught us for self defense, not all too proud of that one. It kinda sucks, but works. As far as sparring goes with the sabers folks buy from online that are full of bells and whistles, from what I've seen, everything is chorographed out, because it doesn't serve a real purpose other than just having a good time.
Please, don't take any of this negatively. You wouldn't be a good teacher if you didn't question something that just didn't look right and try to fix it. I actually commend you for pointing out the facts you did.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4984 by
Rev. Justice,

I cannot express adequately my regret in sounding so negative. It was not my intent to bash anyone. I just found it.... well... you know. LOL
I should have mentioned that I do in fact admire your craftsmanship, AND I wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of those beauties..

NAMASTE

Rick,
tsukimaster

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5204 by
Well, as soon as it gets here, I'm replacing the black paint on the hilt with a bake on gloss black from KG Gun Coats. After it's on, you can only get it off by sandblasting it off. Once that's done, I will be posting it on e-bay for sell. Of course, I'll offer it to the members of the temple first if they want it and I'll pay the shipping for members of the temple.

Here's an idea for the admin guys, how about we add a \"Swap Meet\" section under the \"We Sell Bottles\" section. Give us somewhere to do inter-temple commerce between members.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #5206 by
Rev. Justice wrote:

Well, as soon as it gets here, I'm replacing the black paint on the hilt with a bake on gloss black from KG Gun Coats. After it's on, you can only get it off by sandblasting it off. Once that's done, I will be posting it on e-bay for sell. Of course, I'll offer it to the members of the temple first if they want it and I'll pay the shipping for members of the temple.

Here's an idea for the admin guys, how about we add a \"Swap Meet\" section under the \"We Sell Bottles\" section. Give us somewhere to do inter-temple commerce between members.

Done.

Br. John+

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi