The most amazing thing!!

More
5 years 1 month ago #335162 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic The most amazing thing!!

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I have watched jedi drone on here for years about training and self improvement and mentorship and making the world a better place in the name of the "JEDI" that advocate for a single world order of peace and enlightenment in the "next level of consciousness".

So I ask you, what are you doing right now! More specifically what the fuck are you doing right now? This year? This month? This week? This moment? Are you still "self improving"?? Cuz yea, that's bullshit. Its helping noone, no matter how much you self delude yourself that time here will result in benefit to others. Either get in the trenches and fire the cannon to repel the enemy or piss off. Talking about the theory is crap.

So I ask you again, what are you doing? Right now? This moment?

Live your life, now, as you are. Stop pretending you can be something more than you are right now. Because tomorrow you might be dead, and then where are you? You planned to be a corpse instead of a force of change in this world. Be the force today and fuck tomorrow. Tomorrow has its own goals..

What I'm getting from this is a statement of dismissal regarding self improvement. I may be wrong in that interpretation so feel free to correct me. But toward that impression, is also a very condescending assumption that self improvement means nothing and affects nothing.

This would effectively mean that, for example, the years that my daughter was in the womb and the many years that followed, I apparently did not evolve into the deeply loving full-time single father I am today through a very rigorous phase of acute self-improvement, doing things that my younger self would have never even wanted to think about. What I am doing now is generating a life of experiences that convert into wisdom to pass down to my next generation to inspire others with in her world. I don't believe one has to be another Elon Musk (or if you'd like, Donald Trump) to do great things in the world. Great things take place on every scale and ripple across society.

Last, I would be careful of being too preachy or pep-talking to an audience you do not know personally with sweeping statements of their personal development being bullshit. It can more likely come off as (and probably might just be) self-projecting. But I do also feel the impression that you seem to just be hoping to create a meaningful, inspiring and genuinely self-inquiring discussion - and I appreciate that.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Satelle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #335163 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic The most amazing thing!!
Well jeez,
I have no intention of making the world a better place..
I make my world a better place right now for those I love and do so each day. I fight to keep my family strong and focused on enjoying and living each moment. Crap or otherwise.
Self improving may seem like bullshit, but when its building people up and helping them not to give in to situations but instead helping them find for themselves new solutions that make their lives their familys lives better then that bullshit works..
Right now I am about to go to work, this makes my life better cause hey, not on the streets, not starving and so the first concerns are covered.
At work I may not change the world, but I can bring a smile to peoples faces, I can be the friend who is helping another deal with a parents death, listen to the woes of divorce and celebrate with workmates what makes their lives great.
I can help in the moment, encourage or just be there.
And that is ripples that then get passed on.
Improving my life, maybe improving in the moment anothers..
It doesn't take firing at the enemy every day to be a Jedi
But if needs be I am prepared for just that. Although sometimes an enemy isn't what they seem.

Everythings bullshit
Jediism is just a word
What we do in each moment shows in small or big ways.
Fuck the world.
I focus on my small world where I am,

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #335164 by
Replied by on topic The most amazing thing!!
Firstly... this entire thread could have been introduced with about 100 percent less cussing. Not sure why this hasn't been called out yet, or corrected by security...

Secondly, why isn't self-improvement betterment of the world? We all happen to be part of it. And each person poses their own problems, personal or otherwise. If everyone worked diligently on self-improvement, we'd prolly have less problems in the world. We'd also have more people actively bettering their part of the world. Because the self is the only thing you're responsible for.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .

More
5 years 1 month ago #335170 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic The most amazing thing!!
While I can appreciate sentiments about acting while we still have the time and energy to do so, and about being (part of) the change we want to see, I think one should be careful about phrasing it in ways akin to "take no thought of tomorrow". We can do more to improve ourselves and the world around us if we are alive and well come sunrise and we'd do well to act in reason, to maximize the beneficial impact now but also the chances of doing more yet in future. It is not at all trivial to answer just where the "perfect" balance is or whether there is any at all.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #335172 by Carlos.Martinez3
My path is not always a fight. Not any more. Ive matured from always trying to make things problems and fights to planting solutions- helping others and encouraging others as well. My Jedi ism IS what I have made and I for one -enjoy it. It’s shows in what I do , think , listen , study and watch. The best thing about my modern day Jedi ism is I’m never in competition with any one. I don’t have to be. This gives me a peace I can’t explain , you have to experience it for yourself. The no condemnation type of freedom and life I have been looking for.

For me , and my family and friends - every day his a new day. I don’t mean metaphorical or even just as thought but in action. We make choices and we create new experiences and adjust as we go along as Jedi.
Thank you for the question.
Our goal as a family is to grow , as with friends and family. By our example of interaction and life , the hope we have is that it is an example of the possibility of hope and experience we can all share. As I live longer and study more , my circle becomes more wider. People from the markets and stores and even strangers are effected. I am glad to be a Jedi and for some - the only Jedi some will see. Corcles, like ripples, effect many or just sway some or even bother others an ... can even make some vomit. Yea.
I change my world - daily - you can too. If it’s not your cup of tea - don’t order it. If the Jedi life is not for you - keep seeking- keep searching. Jedi are not the only selfless idea out there. We are not the only encouraging idea out there. We don’t have the only set of maxims and codes and we are not the only anything out there. This morning I woke and encouraged 5 people- was on line. Jedi ism can be a very personal thing. It can be anything we make. We are totally in charge of what we do and wield it. I hear a lot of people say similar things. I hope this is meant for encouragement rather then argue sake. My the Force be with you Kyrin - still. Happy seeking.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ambert The Traveller

More
5 years 1 month ago #335173 by Satelle
Replied by Satelle on topic The most amazing thing!!
To answer the initial question, at the time of this writing I'm currently working my career, which right now involves a mix of assessing what set of skills I need to improve or gain for some opportunities coming up very soon. This is a technical exercise, because the work is technical. I'm also going over my personal goals list, and doing similar, but for ongoing goals such as "develop the FA Dark Jedi program", "return to rapier fencing", and "house improvement". Also, having coffee, which is black with stevia sweetener.

But what I'm doing this hour doesn't explain how I got to this point and why it factors in to my personal way of changing the world. All of the above is significant, even the coffee. My career (which is actually significant in how I wish to change the world) and my personal efforts did not happen without the past 30 years of work and the next 30 years (hopefully, I'm getting old) of work ahead. I want to address how I feel people get to the point that they can even find themselves with an array of plans in mid-career and be happy with where they're going and what they're doing with their life, as I am.

I think "go out and change the world" is a great rallying call, but makes some assumptions about the doer's basic ability to act on it and carry it forward to actually change something. For many people, especially younger folks, how to change the world is still a Work In Progress. It involves goals with many steps. But assuming someone sees how they want to do that and is able to, there are endless ways this can and does go astray, and most of them are about people.

Training is, essentially, creating and honing the internal tools to use in that drive forward. I don't mean lightsabers or martial arts or reading the right books or even writing pretty. I mean the tools between your ears. I feel that developing a basic foundation of personal strength is important, which is all about self-improvement. Basic things like thought process, emotional stability, relationships with others, even living conditions have huge impacts on people's capability to do the things they want to do. These are foundational aspects of being human that should be addressed to personal satisfaction, especially by Jedi (both Light and Dark). In that, self-improvement of that human foundation is paramount to effectively changing the world in the way you want it changed. It's a force multiplier for life.

I would agree with the implication that people can idle a lot in the "thinking about doing" area, and simply not get to the Doing The Thing part, but it's important to recognize the difference between developing internal accountability and power, and intellectual yak shaving. One is a positioning and building activity, and the other is procrastination. But again, there are human reasons why people don't take those steps, and that still falls under "self-improvement". Understanding why people don't do things is very important for them to figure out. Then comes the choice: is Doing The Thing important enough for you to overcome the limitations you have?

Back to where I'm at right now and what I'm doing, I'll take an example. Much of where I'm at with my career has come about because of positive personal reputation. Where I was not able to carry myself forward, others did it because of that reputation. How did that happen? Human relations, personal tools, self-awareness, constant self-improvement. Would I be where I'm at without honing those internal tools? I would be somewhere, but it wouldn't be where I aimed to be 30 years ago. And I'm still training in this way.

Satelle
(she/her)

IP Journal: 2024 IP Journal
Degree Journal: Satelle's Degree Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Ambert The Traveller

More
5 years 1 month ago #335175 by Lykeios Little Raven
Sorry, the title just made me think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6H9f8JcG8

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna, Avalon

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #335196 by
Replied by on topic The most amazing thing!!
Self-improvement has become a meaningless phrase. It has become something that it was never intended to be. Everyone is on the train to improve themselves these days and they are doing this by searching for that one thing, that one key that will change everything in their lives. They put their lives on hold until they find this thing and they go in search of self-appointed self-help gurus and speakers and books and videos and programs and give thousands of dollars to these people and concepts so they can relieve themselves of the responsibility to actually do the work to find the answers themselves. They think " I will just read X book, do what it says and when it works then I can live the life I have always dreamed of".

But the reality of this is that there is no one thing, no one training course or epiphany or title that will ever change your life. There is no quick path to success and there are no shortcuts to effect that change you want to see. Meditation doesn’t do this and training courses here won’t do it nor will the title of knight or senior knight do it. Self-improvement is not something you wait to have happen, it’s not a trick or a gimmick or a technique that you can learn. Self-improvement is a grind, it is a campaign of war against fear and weakens and laziness and temptation. It is a never ending commitment in discipline to produce. Never waiting to live because you feel you’re not ready yet.

The fact is you’re never going to be ready but that doesn’t matter. It should not be an excuse to avoid life. Trying every single second of every single day and making mistakes and always moving forward are how we self-improve. Always striving to live a life of high performance. If you are not feeling anxiety every day you are not doing enough to be outside your comfort zone. If you’re not outside that comfort zone you are not self-improving. Find that sweet spot between internal activation and performance and live there every day. That is how you self-improve.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .

More
5 years 1 month ago #335198 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic The most amazing thing!!
Can't take care of others if you don't also take care of your self.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Satelle

More
5 years 1 month ago #335200 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The most amazing thing!!
Change for change's sake is also not the same thing as growth... and change is what hurts generally speaking, so one must avoid getting into a cycle of self sacrificial escapism in lieu of real management in efforts to progress. Though of course its better to be self sacrificial then to sacrifice others if one cannot avoid being escapist :D
Generally speaking though, I find the best change to be more rewarding then anything, and that the hard work is breaking the bonds of the past rather then aligning with the future. I guess it depends what one is escaping from and escaping into.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Satelle

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi