Faith vs science

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334637 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Faith vs science
Faith in success - in discovery faith in finding new

Edit :
Will and Orv-
Faith they could find a way to fly rather than fall before others did ...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334638 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Faith vs science
Considering the example phrase 'I believe you'll do something because I have faith in you' I tend to view 'faith' as a high probability but not certain, and 'belief' as an expectation. That's the easiest way for me to explain my opinion on it, I find dictionary definitions often reference popular usage more then practical deployment of concepts (not to suggest mine is any better).

So I tend to think those concepts work better when viewed in slightly different time spans, ie faith to action within a window, vs belief to mechanism of action ie persistent mechanism. So how belief works IMO in terms of spiritual and religious stuff, is that the mechanism is believed but the interface with it requires measures of faith.

And as such scientific method serves them both equally when applied - but that those things tend to serve in the absence of science, be it tools available, information available, or time enough to deploy tools and information..

The body of science though, well IMO that depends on various criteria like any other source of information, what were the circumstances it was discovered, is it portrayed accurately to what it represents, is it recent, can it be trusted etc... and of course is it relevant. Science can be spun 6 ways from Sunday just like anything else, and at the end of the day I think people don't really pay too much attention to whether the words they use are specifically accurate to what they are saying or a hodgepodge of other background thoughts and opinions lending influence to expression. A good reason to be nice to difference, because your dealing with people not concepts.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334639 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Faith vs science

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Faith in success - in discovery faith in finding new

Right okay. Are there any particular fields of science that rely on faith in this way to observe and measure what it does?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Proteus.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334640 by Carlos.Martinez3

Proteus wrote:

Right okay. Are there any particular fields of science that rely on faith in this way to observe and measure what it does?

All of em right ?
So hope and faith do play a part -

Build, not tear down.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334641 by Proteus

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

Proteus wrote:

All of em right ?

Hmm, so are you saying that for example, an astronomer who is using a mathematical equation to measure the distance and absolute magnitude of a star relies on hope in order to do so? Hope that the equation correctly determines the distance and magnitude?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334643 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Faith vs science

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Faith vs science
Donthe [sic] two live togeather ? [sic]

No.

Do they help hurt or hinder one another ?

They only get in each others way.

What type of science do you believe ?

There are not two or more "types" of it.

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Some say faith isn’t a discipline of science yet what do you think ?

I wholeheartedly agree. A discipline of science is a discipline that utilizes the scientific method. Faith is the exact opposite method and no discipline at all.

I won’t argue for or against but early in time faith drove science - right wrong death life - regardless - faith did begin a lot of “science”.

A shame you wouldn't argue that, I bet it would've proven most entertaining.

Don’t misunderstand my statement - faith is the substance of things hopes [sic] and not seen and science answers the wonder with a constant fact or a constant result till we figure out and loose the wonder. What do you think?

I think this is nonsense of the sort only one could speak who spent no time at all learning anything about this subject. Only through faith can you ever arrive at something constant and never wonder ever again, and pretty much all definitions of faith support that. With science, on the other hand, you never ever get to anything ultimate, because the scientific method is designed to produce models that are practically useful, rather than "true", and since our lives and the world around us changes all the time, so too must our models change and adapt to regain usefulness.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Gisteron.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334644 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Faith vs science
Well obviously there's a belief that the laws of nature etc won't change, and faith in the purported accuracy of the tools being used etc. I guess the scientist ceases to be a scientist when they stop having hope about discovery and instead hope they don't get proven wrong.... so in that sense they have a type of faith that there efforts are not wasted irrelevant modelling.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Adder.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334645 by Carlos.Martinez3
One can’t have faith in their project ? Their hypotheses? Faith in themselfs - faith in their cause ...?

Build, not tear down.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334648 by Carlos.Martinez3

Proteus wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

Proteus wrote:

All of em right ?

Hmm, so are you saying that for example, an astronomer who is using a mathematical equation to measure the distance and absolute magnitude of a star relies on hope in order to do so? Hope that the equation correctly determines the distance and magnitude?

Hope his training helps and hope his calculations are fit. Hope that he will learn and hope that can benefit man kind ..
Edit : hope he don’t fail - hope he chose the right job - faith the people who constructed the equipment didn’t fail... lots of hope and faith there .

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334651 by Proteus
So, I see we're talking about the personal aspirations of the scientists themselves with their proccess. In this way it's being said that "faith" or "hope" is nvolved in the scientist's relationship with their work.

So now the question is: does the (at least seemingly) objective outcome of a scientist's results depend on that scientist's faith / hope to be what it will be?

― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi