Faith vs science

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334760 by
Replied by on topic Faith vs science

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Does it imply there is an answer to every question and we need an answer to it?

Isn’t that one of the things science - fact based identification does ... remove the wonder ?

No, how could it remove wonder? Wonder is an emotion, an experience. Weren't you in wonder.. or awe, say, when your children were born? Even though scientifically you know exactly what the process is biologically from conception to birth, did you not still feel wonder at that process?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334761 by

Uzima Moto wrote: Ask the average person, "how do you know the earth is round?" and you'll see where faith and science exist together..

Because I have seen and examined evidence that it is round. No faith required.

More
5 years 2 months ago #334762 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Faith vs science
At my tenth child’s birth I still wondered and was amazed by life. Science for me, will never rid my wonder but that’s my choice.
I’m not here to sway others in thought more than I asked for myself. I want to thank every one for their wonderful responses and ideas and practices and opinions.
I’ve changed a bit of my gauge as far as subject - and I thank you for it y’all!

Please don’t stop. Thank you for letting me be a part!
It’s good to know no matter what is present - we all have our own choices and moment to create our own paths sometimes. Thanks again

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #334769 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Faith vs science

Kobos wrote:

ren wrote:

When people say fire is hot

Fire is not hot.

It is the material oxidizing and gases surrounding it that are hot............also, hot has varying degrees :)

Very relative degrees, that all appear close to absolute zero when compared to say, that small fusion reactor we orbit :lol:

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by ren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 2 months ago #334782 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Faith vs science

Uzima Moto wrote: However, Biblical faith isnt blind. It's based on experience. "Evidence of things unseen" I have faith BECAUSE of my experience though YOU personally haven't seen it.. "Substance of things hoped for" Is essentially where all theories start. It comes through education of some sort or another.. whether spiritual or material..

Is there any particular reason you don't quote the entire verse referenced here? Come, I'll help you out:

Hebrews 11, verse 1 wrote: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Notice how it doesn't say anything about what faith is based on. It says faith IS the substance of things hoped for, it IS the evidence of things not seen. In other words, the belief is, according to this verse, its very own justifier. One is supposed to believe because one believes, not because of any kind of experience to warrant the belief. This is why, as if faith meant anything other than just belief, it is so often cited as a reason to believe. One believes things because one has faith. It is never cited as a reason when any other reason, be it ever so poor, is available either. It is the excuse people give to believe things when they don't have evidence or any other justifier for their belief.

Faith and Science, and the Investigations they inspire, are more alike than different..

More by what metric? Can you name as many as two things they have in common? Please, do.

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Does it imply there is an answer to every question and we need an answer to it?

Isn’t that one of the things science - fact based identification does ... remove the wonder ?

No, quite the opposite. Once one arrives at a complete confidence in a statement, that's when one stops wondering what a more genuine, useful explanation might look like, and one never regains that wonder until one is ready to abandon the faithful commitment to the answer one has already convinced oneself of. Scientific inquiry, on the other hand, never ends until abrupted by, say, faith.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 2 months ago #334784 by Carlos.Martinez3
Faith and wonder - I hope I never explain them away.

Build, not tear down.

More
5 years 2 months ago #334785 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Faith vs science
And I hope you never faith away your wonder, but alas hope doesn't make things so, and through unreason no reason reaches either. Oh well.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 2 months ago #334786 by Carlos.Martinez3

Gisteron wrote: And I hope you never faith away your wonder, but alas hope doesn't make things so, and through unreason no reason reaches either. Oh well.

I have been looking foward to this day. Thank You Gisteron , I will quote you on this forever! Thank you

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334790 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Faith and wonder - I hope I never explain them away.

So then you suscribe to ignorance being bliss?

I myself have never found that because you can explain something it reduces wonder.

Everyime i am on a plane i am struck by wonder when looking out the window either up, or down. Even though i understand how they have done it. Hmm. .. Your concept of wonder is rather shallow.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334791 by
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Biv6eCt5lHg

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi