Knightism vs the Force Discussion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334209 by
Replied by on topic Knightism vs the Force Discussion

Arisaig wrote: But, as you've found, making your own lil forum where you can teach whatever you want is super easy. Its not like you have to teach here.

As a newly appointed Knight, do you really feel this comment is constructive to the conversation?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334210 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: But, as you've found, making your own lil forum where you can teach whatever you want is super easy. Its not like you have to teach here.

As a newly appointed Knight, do you really feel this comment is constructive to the conversation?

Yes. Its time to divorce the idea that a Knight is free to do whatever you want here. A Knight represents the community, and as such, they are doubly accountable.

And again, it is a response to your statement that one must be a knight to develop and teach curriculum here. Yes, it is true, but its not something that isn't easily overcome by, as you have done, making your own forum.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334211 by Rosalyn J
Hi all.
I'm watching this discussion. I'm happy to talk about solutions.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, , For-Emris

More
5 years 1 month ago #334212 by Zenchi

For-Emris wrote:

Zenchi wrote:
And you can thank a few key guests as to why we don't have more discussions on The Force, anything brought up gets picked at like a scab by people with nothing better to do, and we no longer believe in banning, so enjoy the circus?

What is stopping the resumption of discussions about the Force?

I would pay special attention to the part of my last post that you quoted there....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334213 by Tellahane

Rosalyn J wrote: Hi all.
I'm watching this discussion. I'm happy to talk about solutions.

We are ALL WATCHING...this discussion....
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Tellahane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #334214 by

Kira wrote: The second aspect I see here is the way of life, philosophy, and ethics. We have the luxury of knowing, not believing, that we are inspired by a work of fiction. This is a blessing because we aren't tied to a particular understanding or way of doing anything. We can create it as we see fit. We must ask ourselves what is relevant, practical, and useful to the world and ourselves. It requires care and thought. Some hold attachment to the way the Jedi were depicted in the fiction, and while that's isn't inherently a catastrophically bad thing, sticking to that form with no critical thinking as to why we should emulate a certain feature of the Jedi of the fiction can be problematic and unhelpful in achieving the goals we have set out for ourselves. This is a topic that I've seen get heated many times.

I think you have really touched on something here. But I would disagree that attachment to the way of the fictional Jedi is not potentially catastrophic. Attachment to a specific paradigm such as this creates a doctrine and from that doctrine comes a static dogma. Once that is established the freedom of exploration goes away. So its extremely important to always keep in mind the other half of this philosophy, that of syncreticism. We are not actually "Jedi" and we dont actually believe in "The Force" as defined by myth. We just use those terms as a common ground to explore what it truly means to be human. And in that exploration we have the freedom to incorporate all myth and legend as well as actual experience as we see fit to build our constantly evolving worldview.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .

More
5 years 1 month ago #334215 by Tellahane
Here are some sample threads that I think people are referencing to in regards to this discussion:

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/121801-psychometry

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/121944-frequency-and-the-force?start=0

I tried to find more but there really isn't any, surprisingly theres more threads about kyrin then there is about the force in 2018...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #334216 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Yes. Its time to divorce the idea that a Knight is free to do whatever you want here. A Knight represents the community, and as such, they are doubly accountable.

And again, it is a response to your statement that one must be a knight to develop and teach curriculum here. Yes, it is true, but its not something that isn't easily overcome by, as you have done, making your own forum.

Thats a pointless statement. sigh.... ok here we go again. Arisaig, I did not create that site to teach. I created it to store journals in a free space that could not be taken away from me. Thanks for the comment but your point is invalid.

More
5 years 1 month ago #334218 by Tellahane

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kira wrote: The second aspect I see here is the way of life, philosophy, and ethics. We have the luxury of knowing, not believing, that we are inspired by a work of fiction. This is a blessing because we aren't tied to a particular understanding or way of doing anything. We can create it as we see fit. We must ask ourselves what is relevant, practical, and useful to the world and ourselves. It requires care and thought. Some hold attachment to the way the Jedi were depicted in the fiction, and while that's isn't inherently a catastrophically bad thing, sticking to that form with no critical thinking as to why we should emulate a certain feature of the Jedi of the fiction can be problematic and unhelpful in achieving the goals we have set out for ourselves. This is a topic that I've seen get heated many times.

I think you have really touched on something here. But I would disagree that attachment to the way of the fictional Jedi is not potentially catastrophic. Attachment to a specific paradigm such as this creates a doctrine and from that doctrine comes a static dogma. Once that is established the freedom of exploration goes away. So its extremely important to always keep in mind the other half of this philosophy, that of syncreticism. We are not actually "Jedi" and we dont actually believe in "The Force" as defined by myth. We just use those terms as a common ground to explore what it truly means to be human. And in that exploration we have the freedom to incorporate all myth and legend as well as actual experience as we see fit to build our constantly evolving worldview.

Whose "we"? There are some members where who do believe in the force...Maybe not that they can float things across the room but everything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Kobos,

More
5 years 1 month ago #334220 by Tellahane

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Thats a pointless statement. sigh.... ok here we go again. Arisaig, I did not create that site to teach. I created it to store journals in a free space that could not be taken away from me. Thanks for the comment but your point is invalid.

I believe he was more referring to how easy it is to create a forum..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi