Hosting a Jedi service in a physical building

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332098 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: So kobos has another good thought! Approaching a jr college for such a thing. How many clubs there might take an interest in supporting such a thing?

See araisag, there is no need to be scared of the "bad people". Dont hide in your echo chamber. Explore, come out to play. You might learn something.

Kyrin, back off. Stop making this about me.

I was about to suggest asking campuses or whatnot for a place to have a booth, I see that often enough. Or just set up a soap box in a public area. I also see that often enough.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332100 by
https://youtu.be/rgqjO2eJIiU

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332104 by
I need to take a moment to apologize for my behaviour in this thread. Something is wrong, my blood pressure has been through the roof all night, and I've been irritable and easily provoked as a result. It is unusually high atm, and we're having it looked into. I worry, my family struggles with this, and I hope I'm not also getting it.

God I need a joint.

Mtwfbwya, ima take a break from the totjo today to centre myself and get this sorted...

More
5 years 3 months ago #332112 by Zenchi
Back to the topic, seen some interesting ideas thrown about as for locations, has anyone thought of doing this in a public library? I know of a few of the larger libraries in a few cities I've vacationed and traveled to had discussion halls, wondering if those would suffice. The community college may work as well given an audience with enough open minds shows up in attendance...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332116 by
You can always reserve a picnic area at a park and put up fliers around town for it. There are many stores that have local bulletin boards you can post stuff to. There are restaurants that will also allow you to post stuff in their entry ways.

If you are looking to do it the most inexpensive way possible use your own backyard or a friends that is big enough that will allow you to call together a group of people. It never hurts to start off small and get feedback of what could be better so you have a building point.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332118 by
This whole thing has gotten my curious now. How far does one take this before it becomes proselytizing? Now we are talking about advertising as a form of recruiting people to the event and by definition a sermon is preaching a scriptural, theological, religious, or moral topic, usually expounding on a type of belief, law, or behavior. Will the Jedi creed be recited at the end? Will there be a call to convert to ways of the force? What is the stance of a Knight preaching a sermon but that Knight is not a member of the clergy? I guess it could be done without the association of TotJO but that has never been clearly stated, so I was wondering, will this be done in the temples name or under its blessing?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 3 months ago #332126 by ren
You don't need totjo to be jedi and the totjo doctrine supports freedom of religion. So anyone can do a service.

I'd avoid using public buildings in secular countries. I can think of at least one where that'd be completely illegal.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 3 months ago #332128 by Rosalyn J
We have licenses for services if Sven wants to do it with TOTJO's blessing

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, , Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #332129 by Alethea Thompson
I’ve gone a much cheaper route for Chapter meetups. I’ve never reserved space, I just find a large park and then pick a location that seems like it won’t have a terribly large amount of intrusive traffic.

Parks are really, really good though. Because it gives you an opportunity to do meditations. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have my own large plot of property with a building and enough land to put in some amenities (campfire site, 2 Labyrinths of my design, and maybe a small herb garden)...but it would it’s not in the cards atm.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, , Kobos

More
5 years 3 months ago #332130 by Kobos

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: This whole thing has gotten my curious now. How far does one take this before it becomes proselytizing? Now we are talking about advertising as a form of recruiting people to the event and by definition a sermon is preaching a scriptural, theological, religious, or moral topic, usually expounding on a type of belief, law, or behavior. Will the Jedi creed be recited at the end? Will there be a call to convert to ways of the force? What is the stance of a Knight preaching a sermon but that Knight is not a member of the clergy? I guess it could be done without the association of TotJO but that has never been clearly stated, so I was wondering, will this be done in the temples name or under its blessing?

Thank you for these questions Kryin, I have actually been contemplating that myself and don't have much of an answer. I guess that comes down to the moral judgement of what it will be by the presenter. That said I still don't know where I would draw the line.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi