Hosting a Jedi service in a physical building

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331972 by
That is a total copout on your part. Are you inclusive of their right to worship as the see fit or not?? It seems your not if you want to shove your philosophy down their throat and judge them harshly for their belief. So what's up "jedi" do they get to view life as they see fit without judgment from you or not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331973 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: That is a total copout on your part. Are you inclusive of their right to worship as the see fit or not?? It seems your not if you want to shove your philosophy down their throat and judge them harshly for their belief. So what's up "jedi" do they get to view life as they see fit without judgment from you or not?

Perfectly in form. Thank you Kyrin. Excellent questions... But perhaps could be worded a bit more tactfully and less hostile? After all, we are simply having a discussion.

I never said shove it down their throat. Heck, as a former Christian, I'd view having a service for another, as they view it, misguided faith in their halls could serve as a method to bring them back into the fold.

Treat others the way you want to be treated, love your neighbor as yourself, judge not lest ye be judged, et cetera ad nauseum... That is the Christian way. It is unfortunate that, for a majority of churches, its more preach than practise.

More
5 years 3 months ago #331978 by jpadkins
look at Buddist temples or B'hai... they may be more receptive.

JP Adkins
Apprentice
Licensed Minister of Jediism
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Seminary / AP /
Degrees Tracker
House of Br John
TM- Raxicorico
” May you feel the presence of the Force because the Force is always with you.”
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331979 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: That is a total copout on your part. Are you inclusive of their right to worship as the see fit or not?? It seems your not if you want to shove your philosophy down their throat and judge them harshly for their belief. So what's up "jedi" do they get to view life as they see fit without judgment from you or not?

Perfectly in form. Thank you Kyrin. Excellent questions... But perhaps could be worded a bit more tactfully and less hostile? After all, we are simply having a discussion.

I never said shove it down their throat. Heck, as a former Christian, I'd view having a service for another, as they view it, misguided faith in their halls could serve as a method to bring them back into the fold.

Treat others the way you want to be treated, love your neighbor as yourself, judge not lest ye be judged, et cetera ad nauseum... That is the Christian way. It is unfortunate that, for a majority of churches, its more preach than practise.

Your statement is completely uncharacteristic of the Christian faith. Their way is the only way according to them. Only through jesus do you enter
Into heaven. So why is it, as a jedi, do you feel you get to change that otherwise universal Christian view because of your own claim to your experience?

As for my form, thank you, I have never compromised my principles. Hows that assention to knight rank coming?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331980 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

Your statement is completely uncharacteristic of the Christian faith. Their way is the only way according to them. Only through jesus do you enter
Into heaven. So why is it, as a jedi, do you feel you get to change that otherwise universal Christian view because of your own claim to your experience?

As for my form, thank you, I have never compromised my principles. Hows that assention to knight rank coming?

Not change, expand their views and horizons. One can recognize the Force, but not depend on it for salvation.

And smoothly, thanks for asking.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331982 by JamesSand
As usual in any given argument - both parties are probably mostly wrong.

To Sven and Ari - we can ascribe whatever motives we like (and the representative, for whatever reason, put voice to some reasons to "justify" their position, but the reality of it is that if it is their building, they don't really have to justify it at all, they can ask Sven to leave and not request use of their building again simply because they don't like his hair style, or because he's a non-smoker, or because they want to. They might just not like him, perhaps if someone prettier, or wearing a nicer shirt, or with a more melodic voice, or kinder eyes had asked, it would have been a different tale, or even if it was phrased differently "I'm looking to hold a community event on the subject of emotional peace in face of our mortality, I'll being inviting people from all walks of life, and plan to livestream it on my blog, better-living-through-faith-dot-com.

It doesn't even have to be true.)

We don't have to assume it is because they want to quash his faith.

To Kyrin, ref:

"otherwise universal christian view" is a statement you really have no authority to make, and I doubt you can back it up with much more than anecdotes or "common knowledge".

Yes, I know the lines about entering heaven, that's not what I'm arguing, but that every christian interprets their role as being to reestablish the inquisition is a big call.

(I routinely visit a christian building that is rented out for martial arts training, and because we're also massive nerds, we use Hogwarts Houses to manage the classes and keep track of points for each house.

The owners/managers of the building are really more than happy for the extra income, and the fact that it gives people something fun, healthy, and wholesome to do, and so far no one has tried to have us strung up and burnt at the stake for witchcraft)

(I could be wrong, the people that Sven was dealing with could be entirely motivated by the tenets of their faith and firmly believe that unChristian worship within their hallowed halls will cause....the gay, or something equally evil. I'm just saying there's no point in us beating our ploughshares into swords and taking up arms against the intolerant christian tyrants over speculative motivations...)
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331986 by

We don't have to assume it is because they want to quash his faith.

Save for the fact that was amongst the reasons given for their denial of his request...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #331988 by
That's disappointing that they went back on the initial agreement, and I'm sorry it didn't work out. Just a setback, I say- there are other places and avenues you can likely explore to achieve your goal.

More
5 years 3 months ago #331992 by Alethea Thompson
Sven,

For the record- I happen to agree with the church’s stance. And applaud them for actually abiding by Old Testament wisdom.

In fact, I won’t run a Jedi Labyrinth at a church unless every participant is Christian. If we’re going to do a Labyrinth with non-Christians present, I personally set up one in a park because those people may choose to pray to their own deities.

The same would be true if it was property dedicated to another god or goddess. It’s simply a matter of respect to the deity the property is dedicated to, and in many cases your own deity.

A rec center is certainly an option; but if you’re looking for an actual church- try one that is Universalist Unitarian or Baha’i

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #331994 by Carlos.Martinez3
If your really wondering - ask one to be one - ask Nakis and Jack
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/5795-nakis
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/22034-jack-troutman

These are two Jedi I know, may be able to help with local outreach and what it all takes to ACTUALLY serve the community they live in.
Tell em I sent ya !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi